Thread: Can I cure my hypoglycemia? page

Tritter Guest

Shop Now

I am pretty new to the primal diet (past three weeks or so) and I'd like to start IFing. I ate dinner at around 4 last night (early!) and fasted until lunch, which was around 12. I ended up getting a hypoglycemia episode right before I finished my 20 hour fast.

18 hours seems to be my fasting limit. Can I change this? In the past, I was prone to hypoglycemia attacks, and though I'm less so since I started going primal, I would like to completely eliminate this, or at least reduce it as much as possible so I can IF.

Here's a breakdown of my diet, if it helps:

Breakfast: Usually either about 4 oz of meat with leftover steamed veggies or a handful of nuts + deli meat.

Lunch: BAS with loads of olive oil.

Dinner: Again, 4 oz meat + veggies

Sometimes I have an afternoon and midmorning snack, usually a handful of nuts or dried fruit.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Yes, I would get horrible hypoglycemia "attacks" before going primal. There was one day when I didn't eat breakfast because we were going to Outback for lunch, and by the time we got there I couldn't even wait for them to bring the free bread - I had to eat a packet of sugar because I felt like I was going to pass out, was shaking, losing my peripheral vision (if you've had "episodes" I'm sure you know what I mean), all that.

I've done 24 hour fasts with no problem - might be something you have to build up to but eating LOTS of fat helps - if you have trouble fasting, take a look at what your last few meals before the fast were, and try to analyze it a bit. But even so, there's nothing wrong with an 18 hour fast, and I haven't done much more than 24-30 hours because I frankly like to eat. haha.

How much fat do you include in your meat + veggie meals? Are we talking poached chicken breasts, or thighs with skin-on, basted with bacon grease (hehe)? Or steaks topped with butter? Or lean pork cooked in a pan with little additional fat? - get some fat in/on the meat!

Same with the veggies - how you cook them makes a huge difference. Do you include lots of fat?

Protein+carbs do not make it easy to fast. Fat's the key for me.

(Dried fruit isn't the best snack as it's basically just sugar... try some chunks of cheddar cheese, or salami rolled up with cream cheese in it - get some fat in your snacks)

And I never get hypoglycemic episodes anymore.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Griff is offline Senior Member

I don't see nearly enough saturated fat in your diet. Make sure you eat butter or coconut oil or ghee on your veggies and have fatty foods elsewise - the fatty cuts of beef, chicken, etc.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Tritter Guest

Oh, thank you guys SO much. I am having serious difficulty right now, after I pulled that 20 hour fast, I'm still hypoglycemic even though I overate for lunch. And six hours later, I'm still full!

That chicken thigh with bacon grease sounds really good right now...

I'm allergic to dairy and eggs, so my fat options are limited to:

Oils

Nuts

Animal fat

Avacado

Coconut

Am I missing any other options?

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

what part of dairy are you allergic to? Ghee (clarified butter) might work for you even with dairy allergies.

http://www.joyfulabode.com/2009/09/0...acony-veggies/

(chicken thighs + bacon grease + veggies + roasted garlic)

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.