Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do raw foodists loose weight? page

phixx is offline Junior Member

Why do raw foodists loose weight?

Seems like we all agree the carbohydrates is the reason we gain weight, get fat, etc.

Raw foodists eat enormous amounts of fruit (think 15-20 bananas a day), but most of them still loose weight. Why is that?

As far as I know, most fruit contains lots of carbohydrates, so shouldn't raw foodists gain weight instead of loosing it?

Thanks,
    Mads

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    fruitarians eat 15-3000 bananas a day, raw foodists eat a lot of raw vegetables and fruit

my guess is it's because their bodies feed off their fat reserves, which is why everyone i saw on a fruitarian site were very thin (gorgeous skin, but i couldn't eat just fruit every day)

the raw foodists i've seen have ranged from average body weight to chubby
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

phixx is offline Junior Member
    Shouldn't all the fruit give them the energy they need? As far as I can see, 30 bananas a day should be enough to supply you with energy to live a normal life (not saying it would be healthy, just saying it would be possible)

If they get enough energy from the fruit, etc. they are eating, their bodies shouldn't feed off their fat reserves, but still, many of them loose weight.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    if you eat them spaced out, maybe. if you eat them all at once then usually there's a sugar crash, you eat more fruit, sugar crash, you eat more fruit, ad rinse repeat which is why i guess many of the people i saw were talking about the multiple pounds of fruit they ate every day. i imagine diarrhea plays a part in that, as well as fruit being water for the most part

i'm not a doctor, jim, but when the body doesn't get the nutrition it needs it will feed on itself, hence the very very lean fruitarians
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Carbs don't 'cause' us to gain weight. They just enable the body to more easily store excess calories. If there's no excess, there's no storage, and no weight gain.

Many raw foodists eat sparingly and thus don't gain.

Unless you're carb sensitive (as I happen to be) all those carbs don't necessarily stimulate your appetite and cause you to eat more. Many people manage to maintain an optimum weight on a high carb diet. It all depends on the individual's unique physiology.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phixx View Post
    Seems like we all agree the carbohydrates is the reason we gain weight, get fat, etc.

Raw foodists eat enormous amounts of fruit (think 15-20 bananas a day), but most of them still loose weight. Why is that?

As far as I know, most fruit contains lots of carbohydrates, so shouldn't raw foodists gain weight instead of loosing it?

Thanks,
    Mads
    No, excess calories is the reason we gain weight. Raw foodists LOSE weight because the calories are lower.
    The word LOOSE means something is not tight.

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    a long time ago (in a galaxy far away) i attempted a raw vegan diet. i thought it would be good because it was environmentally sustainable. it went down something like this

- I did lose some weight. at first, rapidly, probably from inflammation, and cutting breads etc. from my diet
    - after about a week, I felt really like ass. I thought i was "detoxing." My running, which I've been doing for 15+ years, essentially stopped. I decided people weren't made to run a lot and that I was getting "older" (i was in my early 20's)
    - after about a month I was gaining noticeable weight. this was despite eating very little.
    - after a few months, I could no longer wear all my clothes because i had gained so much. i started to get acne. waking in the morning felt awful. i was hungry all the time. i once calculated my daily protein at 7 grams. my daily carb count, on the other hand, was easily over 300. i again attributed this to getting "older." people made comments like, "you know, exercise is important." but all I wanted was to sleep. i would generally eat every day fruit, raw vegetables, and (this is not raw vegan) "envirokids cereal" in homemade almond milk.
    - i took a biogeochemistry class where something was mentioned like, "plants that are in nitrogen deficient soils store more carbon in their storage parts, roots, than in their active parts"... suddenly i thought, "i bet i'm "nitrogen deficient"". i began to eat protein again. first, only from tofu and soy powder. within a few months, i could wear some of my old clothes again. i was eating nearly 3x as many calories and massive amounts of artificial sweeteners, plus i had at least one meal a day at "yogurt extreme" frozen yogurt and i did not skimp on "healthy" toppings like candied fruits. just the addition of protein helped.
    - slowly i learned that sugar was not helping and reduced it (well other than what was found in fruit and trace amounts), replacing it with "better" alternatives like extremely fake protein powders from whey and soy. i lost more weight. i stopped going to yogurt extreme.
    - i learned i had really bad fasting blood sugar. i read the whole 30. i did the whole 30. at the end of whole 30 i promised to myself "i will get yogurt extreme"
    - by the end of whole 30 i decided i wanted to get new running shoes instead. during the 30 days i had gone from non-exerciser to running and lifting 3-5 times per week, even in our winter here in oregon, which uhm SUCKS
    - i never looked back. raw vegan may be sustainable for the planet. but it's not sustainable for me.

in short-- raw vegan nearly ruined my health. it made me "thinner" for a week. i probably kept at it stubbornly for around... oh i guess about 6 months? it made me have to learn to be healthy and work to get "unfat" for almost a year and a half.
    just as background info: i grew up in a household where meat consumption was very high (my dad's idea of "snack" was go to the deli counter and get 1/2 lb of roast beef), and no one in my house was fat, nor was i. we all were fairly active-- walking, jogging, martial arts-- but not "sporty"-- so i'd say i am somewhat programmed to eat meat, but not really naturally athletic or sedentary.
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I guess having to run to the toilet on a regular basis must burn off a few extra calories.

And yeast overgrowth in the gut will turn a lot of the fructose ingested into alcohol, so the liver and immune system have to work a lot harder.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

badly_dubbed is offline Senior Member
    raw foodists will also drop muscle mass fairly rapidly. weight.....can mean anything from fat,muscle to bone structure. i loose weight when i get my hair cut, however i dont loose fat.
    "Today’s technological age is enjoyed by the fattest, laziest humans in the history of humanity." -Mark Sisson

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    At a guess, a person who manages to adapt and survive and thrive on a frutarian or raw vegan, is genetically predisposed to thrive on carbs in the absence of meat. Most people would experience negative impact and will get off the diet. I would think the same holds true for other overly restrictive diets, be it 'yellow foods only', Zero carb, Atkins... what have you. My 2 cents. I like Primal/Paleo because it acknowledges the omnivorous nature and cuts out the stuff that is damaging.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast