Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do raw foodists loose weight? page 2

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    I wrote an article for a magazine about raw foodists. Did my interviews by phone. The people I interviewed went on and on about how they lost weight, felt great, looked great, etc.

Imagine my surprise when I see the final copy in the magazine, and the photos of the people look... horrible. One was still chunky (definitely overweight). Two had terrible skin and looked old, wrinkled and sickly (even though they shouldn't have at their young ages).

Seeing those pictures pretty much ended any ideas I had that raw foodists are healthy.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    I was thin when I tried a raw vegan diet, but I didn't feel as good as I do now, and it didn't resolve any of the minor health issues that Primal has for me. Once again, "skinny" is not the same as "healthy".

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I believe it is very difficult to get enough calories if all you eat is raw vegetables and fruit. Here is a chart of how much food you must eat to obtain 2000 calories: The Raw Vegan Paradox--Too Much Food Without Enough Calories

This is how many pounds you must eat to get 2000 calories of each kind of food
    Code:
    Category 	Kcal/lb. 	Lbs required
    Common Veg. (avg.) 	100.00 	20.00
    Sweet Fruit (avg.) 	300.00 	6.67 
    Cucumbers 	58.97	33.92 
    Tomatoes 		86.18	23.21 
    Sprouted legumes (avg.) 	444.53	4.50 
    Wheat, Sprouted 	898.13	2.23 
    Avocados 	800.00	2.50 
    Nuts Soaked / Sprouted 	1,250.0	1.60 
    Nuts Dry 	2,500.0	0.80
    So if you are not eating much avocados and nuts you are basically spending the day eating tens of pounds of food as if you were a gorilla. Of course nobody can actually eat that much food, so these folks are eating the rich saturated fat stored in their bodies. That's probably the only reason they look so healthy, at first anyway.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

souldanzer is offline Senior Member
    I used to be part of a raw vegan community. Yes, the first impact of a raw food diet is that it makes you feel "terrific" - because you eliminate so much junk and allergens. But in the long run it made me terribly, terribly sick and I'm still trying to recover some of that (including my pancreas and insulin :-(

There's some raw foodists that are skinny. They also don't have any muscle mass. They look old and wrinkly. And then there's a whole crowd that either is still fighting weight gain with constant fasts or whatever, or the people who came into the whole game morbidly obese and are happily feeding off their bodies.

I think go raw all you want for a "cleanse" but it's just not sustainable. Body needs so much more than fruit and a few veggies.

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    Lack of calories requires your body to feed on fat stores. Lack of protein requires your body to feed on muscles. Lack of minerals requires your body to feed on bones.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    They get a lot of it in by making green smoothies - so they don't have to eat all that green. I could never do it. The green smoothies always made me gag. I ate a lot of nuts and avocado, but still didn't have muscle mass and didn't heal very well. I was also low on iron.

I'm definitely from a strongly carnivoristic omnivore background - on both sides of my family tree.

The raw vegans say that you do naturally break down(muscle) but after that, you build back up into tighter, leaner muscle . . . I almost never see that happen for people.

Dan McDonald on YouTube is a raw foodie - last I heard. He's very fit and works out a lot. I also suspect that when animal products "call out to him" he eats them. He did say that he ate some eggs on a taxing bike ride through the desert - so I suspect he is NOT strictly "raw food vegan" - no matter how much he preaches it.

souldanzer is offline Senior Member
    Dan McDonald looks terrible IMHO. His face is getting more and more sunken lately (especially with doing water fasts) and honestly, if you listen to his videos, he's gotten into the "need to detox the crap out of myself" vicious cycle.
    The 30 bananas a day guy looks just as terrible if not worse. On one of his videos he's shirtless and when he turns to the side you can see his hunched over back. Got some serious osteoporosis going that man it looks like.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    When I direct my Auschwitz masterpiece I'll cast raw foodists as the inmates.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by souldanzer View Post
    Dan McDonald looks terrible IMHO. His face is getting more and more sunken lately (especially with doing water fasts) and honestly, if you listen to his videos, he's gotten into the "need to detox the crap out of myself" vicious cycle.
    The 30 bananas a day guy looks just as terrible if not worse. On one of his videos he's shirtless and when he turns to the side you can see his hunched over back. Got some serious osteoporosis going that man it looks like.

Ah, It's been a long time since I saw one of his videos - he was getting too big of an ego. Sounds like he tweaked out. He didn't used to water fasts and he looked pretty good. Don't last long, I suppose.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Why do raw foodists lose weight?

Malnutrition.

Losing weight =/= getting healthy. Much of the weight is lean muscle mass.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast