Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm a Tall 52 Year Old Woman Trying Primal for a Month page

califwoods is offline Junior Member

I'm a Tall 52 Year Old Woman Trying Primal for a Month

I'm 5'9" and weigh somewhere in the 180s. I've had a goal of losing 30 pounds for years. I get halfway there on various diet programs, look and feel a little better and then stop. I'm feeling and looking kind of lumpy and have shoulder and knee pain. This plan seems to make a lot of sense and so I'm giving it a try to see how it makes me look and feel. I made the commitment tonight after dinner. I'll be reading The Primal Blueprint and this website to figure out what to eat each day. Not really sure if I should be weighing or measuring myself or just noticing how I look and feel in my clothes.

My one pure primal success of the day was snack tonight: an apple and a couple hard boiled eggs rather than the ice cream I would have had.

Dinner was beef stroganoff that was made with sour cream, cream of mushroom soup and egg noodles.

Lunch was an egg salad sandwich and bread was involved. I also had homemade cole slaw so that wasn't too bad.

Breakfast was yogurt and 3 tangerines. I also had coffee with half and half. I think maybe I'm supposed to switch to cream in the coffee but will have to read and confirm.

Maybe some other ladies with my body style will see this and track along with me. I hope so.

Anne

Full Day 1 Underway

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs, cup of fruit, coffee with half and half.

Lunch: Cheeseburger with no bun... lettuce-wrapped. They call in "Protein Style"

Going to a happy hour tonight to celebrate my birthday, courtesy of a girlfriend. Not sure what to do but will avoid grain and dessert.

I weighed this morning and the scale said 184.

Looking forward to how this works for my boyfriend. He has diabetes and a host of maladies that Mark Sisson has mentioned in his interviews that he had and lost when he went primal.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    I am 53 and 5' 10" and started this journey at 201 back in June. Within the first month and a half my belly was gone and I had dropped 20 pounds. Due to some medical issues I have stalled out but that has allowed me to really dial in my eating.

My husband joined me on this and he, at 65 years of age, has dropped thirty pounds and has seen his bloodwork improve dramatically. His cardiologist is pleased!

You should eliminate the egg noodles and cream of mushroom soup and things of that nature.

Remember, baby steps. Do not try to do too many new things at once!
    Last edited by honeybuns; 01-18-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Measure!

I measured my chest, waist, abdomen and hips when I first started and I am so glad I did. I'm 5'8" and started PB at 165 lbs back in October. I've only lost 3 lbs since then but 2 inches off my chest, 2 inches off my waist, 4 inches off my abdomen and 1.5 inches off my hips.

If I hadn't measured I'd be plenty discouraged by now.

Thank you so much for the encouraging feedback, Honeybuns. I am so glad this plan has worked so well for you and your husband. Every time my boyfriend and I have endeavored to change our eating (for my weight loss goals and his desire for health), he has said that in his mind "cutting back" on the sugary sodas, rice, tortillas, french fries, desserts... will be a sufficient change. But I believe that mentality just bleeds into living the exact same lifestyle with no significant improvement in health. I am really hoping we can follow the plan completely for 30 days and see if it brings significant improvements... especially for him with his obvious issues with inflammation, high blood sugar, high triglycerides, acid reflux, irritable bowel type symptoms.

I will measure tonight then. I know what you mean. When I was doing another weight loss plan with a personal trainer thrown in, I came to tears when I found no weight loss after much hard work. Then we measured and found many inches were gone. Thanks!

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    *waves*

I'm 29. I'm 5'10, and up to 187. I was down to 165, but quit eating Primal for some reason...it's time to start again!
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    My DH had the worlds worst sweet tooth before we started this. The longer we eat this way the less and less sugary stuff appeals to him. Probably the best thing I did was to not tell him what he could and could not eat. By letting him make his own choices there was no resentment. ON HIS OWN he gave up the potato chips that he just had to have every day. ON HIS OWN he gave up the spray cans of "whipping cream". Both of those he considered staple items.
    Remember, baby steps and PMA!

Day 2 Primal - Lunch and afternoon snack

Lunch was a can of tuna with mayo and a little sweet pickle in it. Had a couple of slices of sharp cheddar cheese. Then had a protein shake. Has held me for the past 4.5 hours at work. Just now getting snacky so will have a hard boiled egg and apple. Hope I'm getting this right. No grains...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I finished up Day 2 Primal with a delicious dinner of filet mignon which was prepared and grilled by my boyfriend. I added a romaine salad with tomatoes, onion, avocado and homemade Italian dressing. For dessert we had apples and grapes in a peanut butter sauce. For me, the peanut butter made the fruit too heavy and too sweet so I didn't finish my portion. Had a glass of red wine with dinner.

So far I haven't had any real hungry patches during this transition to this style of eating. I did feel that my gut was a little bit out of sorts last night and part of yesterday afternoon. I'm sure it senses that I'm changing things up here.

Onward to Day 3 Primal!
    Anne

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast