Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulletproof IF Challenge page

alg2435 is offline Senior Member

Bulletproof IF Challenge

Primal Fuel
    I'm challenging myself to do an 18 hour fast everyday, with one serving of bulletproof coffee for each 'skipped' meal (breakfast and lunch). When I get to the store, I'll start using ghee, but for now, I'm going to be using coconut oil.

I understand that a lot of you would rather skip the ghee and oil, but this really is the only way I can motivate myself to IF - drinking cups of creamy coffee.

Here's a link with more information for anyone interested: Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting | The Bulletproof Executive
    (the thing that suprises me is that this guy can get 4500 calories down in 6 hours! Nocando. I eat less that 2000 cal and feel STUFFED!)

I would be so pleased/grateful/happy/jumping up and down if someone would join me! I'm giving myself two weeks, starting tomorrow (Jan 18th) to see results. Is that fair!

I've got to keep in mind, though, that I'm not overweight - but just have a little fat to lose - so this may not work as well for me as it has in some of the success stories.
    Making adventure out of this thing called life

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Good luck with this challenge! I wish I could join you, but I do the coffee and coconut oil every morning and can't seem to manage skipping lunch. I use a tablespoon of oil in 16oz of coffee, and I drink that from 6:30am to noon. Maybe I need to use more oil? I'll be interested to see how it works for you.

mattrogers55 is offline Member
    I do IF everyday dinner to dinner with the exception of not eating at all on Wednesdays to get that deep 48 hour fat burn. I'm not really a coffee person, but I'm rooting for you! 2 weeks is definitely enough time to see some results from IF, especially when your first starting out.
    "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace by those who have been trained by it."

HT: 6' 2"
    Peak Wt: 303lbs- Nov 1st 2011
    Current Wt: 240lbs- Sep 1st 2012

Hi Alg,
    I'm the crazy guy who invented Bulletproof IF. Thanks for trying it! Remember that grass fed butter works better than grain fed butter. Coconut oil alone is tasty, but it's not as powerful as a mix of butter and coconut oil. The strongest (for performance and fat loss) by far is GF butter + MCT in coffee.

Even though you're not overweight, you should see results because of mTOR. Bulletproof fasting adds a second potent mTOR inhibitor that's missing from IF by itself. To my knowledge, Bulletproof IF hits all 3 mTOR inhibitors at once (if you exercise at the end of the fast). Bigger mTOR rebound = more muscle growth, more fat burning.

I was able to eat 4500 cals/day because my Bulletproof Coffee had about 1000 calories in it, meaning only 3500 in 6 hours later. A couple pounds of grass fed meat, more butter, eggs, and maybe a sprig of parsley totally worked.

Keep in mind too that the quality of the coffee you use is a MAJOR variable in fat loss because of potent xenoestrogens that can form during the coffee drying process. I write about that here: Bulletproof

Eagerly awaiting your progress updates. Contact me if you have any questions!

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Oh I wish! I am currently off dairy and coffee
    But dairy was stopping me losing weight, and coffee just made me feel bad. One day I hope I can have both again.

Goodluck

Thanks so much for your encouragement and support, everyone! And thanks, bulletproofexec, for the information. I'm excited because I know it'll work....and I can't wait to make a stop at my local health food store to pick up some grass-fed ghee!
    Last edited by alg2435; 01-18-2012 at 04:28 PM.

dave155 is offline Senior Member
    OK, I'm in.

Let me see if I have it right....18hrs between meals, but replace those missed with coffee. For example, let's say I have dinner at 6pm, replace breakfast with bulletproof coffee, then eat lunch at 12pm. Is that right?

If so, I think I can do this. It looks like I have a lot to learn about coffee though. I've never heard of mTOR inhibitors or xenoestrogens...
    Start Date 1/1/12

SW 176
    CW 163
    GW 155

My Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45618.html

Dave - instead of eating AT 6 pm, make sure your meal is over by 6 pm....because if you finish eating at 6:30 or 7 and have lunch at noon, it won't be quite 18 hours (but it's close, and will probably still work).

This is how I'm doing my 18 hours on most days:
    -6:30 am a serving of bulletproof coffee
    -10 or 11 am, second serving of bulletproof coffee
    -Start eating at about 1:00 pm (or wait longer if I'm not hungry)
    -Don't eat after 7:00 pm

All that stuff about coffee was new to me too...and still is. I've scanned, but not read it in-depth. I bought some good quality coffee from the health food store, it's what I can afford - if I had enough extra $$, I'd buy it from thebulletproofexecutive site.

Just picked up a jar of ghee! It doesn't say grassfed, but 'pastured organic.' Good enough.

So glad that you're joining me!

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm...

Would be tough to join you on this as I'm attempting training for a Half-Marathon while staying primal, loosely based on Mark's series of articles on Marathon training. Do most of my distance runs at a very slow pace, incorporate short sprints once a week and strength train twice a week while staying within primal food selections and allow myself higher than normal starchy vegetables (sweet potatoes, etc.) after a run.

I don't think all that would work together well with an 18 hour IF each day.

BUT, I do love me some coffee and coconut milk, so I will be interested in how this turns out for you.

dave155 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by alg2435 View Post
    Dave - instead of eating AT 6 pm, make sure your meal is over by 6 pm....because if you finish eating at 6:30 or 7 and have lunch at noon, it won't be quite 18 hours (but it's close, and will probably still work).

This is how I'm doing my 18 hours on most days:
    -6:30 am a serving of bulletproof coffee
    -10 or 11 am, second serving of bulletproof coffee
    -Start eating at about 1:00 pm (or wait longer if I'm not hungry)
    -Don't eat after 7:00 pm

All that stuff about coffee was new to me too...and still is. I've scanned, but not read it in-depth. I bought some good quality coffee from the health food store, it's what I can afford - if I had enough extra $$, I'd buy it from thebulletproofexecutive site.

Just picked up a jar of ghee! It doesn't say grassfed, but 'pastured organic.' Good enough.

So glad that you're joining me!
    Good Point. Dinner time varies day-to-day, but I have more control at lunch. Assuming this works, I'll just have lunch 18hrs after dinner.

I just read the nutrition thread and am excited to try this (although it seems gross when I form a mental picture). I usually exercise late morning, so the timing should be perfect. Lets see if I have the energy and don't get hungry...

I already have the grass fed butter and extra virgin coconut oil, but haven't made it to the store yet, so I'll have to use Dunkin Donuts coffee tomorrow.
    Start Date 1/1/12

SW 176
    CW 163
    GW 155

My Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45618.html

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast