Thread: Saturated Fat - Inflammatory? page

Hawkward is offline Senior Member

Saturated Fat - Inflammatory?

Primal Fuel
    Within the past few months I've switched to a diet that pretty much follows the PB guidelines, and have therefore not shied away from saturated fats, especially from things like coconut oil and milk, Ghee, and beef (grass-fed as much as I can).

During this time I've also been doing a lot of reading, and not surprisingly, there's a lot of contradictory information out there. One recent example is what i read in "The Fat Resistant Diet" by Dr. Leo Galland. In the book he says that saturated fats are inflammatory, and should make up no more than 10% of one's diet. Now I've certainly read all the CW warnings about the alleged evils of saturated fat, but I didn't get the idea that Galland was part of the CW. He's certainly not a low-carb advocate, but neither is he someone that simply regurgitates the USDA food pyramid, and his book seems to be well-researched (though of course there's a lot of contradictory research out there).

Thoughts? I personally have found few things more inflammatory to me than wheat. Since giving it up a few months ago, I've gotten rid of pain in both shoulders that had persisted for a couple of years. During the same period my consumption of saturated fat has definitely increased.
    Last edited by Hawkward; 01-17-2012 at 05:09 PM.

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    The only people that need to watch their Sat fat intake is ApoE4 genotypes. I think the rest of us can handle the majority of our fats coming from Sat.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Raine is offline Member
    Saturated fat is not inflammatory on it's own. Trans fats are inflammatory though.

There is good solid scientific evidence showing that it is the grains, dairy etc that are the real problem.

Where did this Dr get his "research" from?. Did he study sat fats alone or mixed up with wheat, dairy etc?.

dado Guest
    saturated fat is only inflammatory if you're an asshole

tabby is offline Junior Member
    What is the data on sat fats?
    -Steve

The Chris is offline Junior Member
    When I increased my saturated fat intake I started making faster progress with in my strength training, I stopped getting burned as easily, and I think it helped me concentrate better. I can't explain it, but I no longer believe anyone who says saturated fat is bad.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Saturated fat does promote inflamation, but many things in our diet do.
    As a comparison high carb intake is about 10 times more inflamatory than equivalent Saturated fat intake.
    In the general scheme of things if one has a healthy supply of micronutrients and a good level of vitamins in their body then there is no problems with saturated fats.

I'm still trying to understand the whole inflamation thing, it's not as simple as good & bad, inflamation is a natural part of our metabolic processes, it indicates growth and healing, but excessive inflamation is unhealthy, so it is all about balance.

So long as you have a good intake of salad greens, fruits & vegetables, saturated fats are not an issue, it all balances out.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I also admit to being largely agnostic in regards to the inflammatory effects of different fats. Off the cuff, I believe polyunsaturated fats to being the most unstable and easily oxidized - and so should be the most inflammatory fat by that virtue. But I get oxidation and inflammation crossed, so don't take my word for it. Hopefully a link mogul like betorq will make a visit up in here and drop some science. You'd want to check people's CRP after several weeks (and possibly survey for joint pain, etc.?) of having eaten different types of fats to gauge their inflammation. I do not know of such studies have been done much.

My CRP was in the low-normal range and I eat mostly fatty meats, coconut milk, tallow, eggs, avocados, leafy greens, some berries, herbs and seasoning, teas and coffee, some nuts and a little raw cheese here and there. Pretty strict Primal. Getting most of my calories from fat (average 70% per day)n has not proven to be inflammatory to me. But you are not me. Something like nightshades that inflames me might not bother you at all.

saturated fat is only inflammatory if you're an asshole
    Oh, dado. We miss you.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Oh, dado. We miss you.
    Uhhh, no we don't.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

doublehelix is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It seems the "research" out there is of the "oat bran" type, going back and forth. Today this is good, tomorrow bad...musical chairs.

There is evidence that carbohydrate consumption causing a high glycemic index can cause insulin overproduction and increase triglyceride levels in women.[6] Triglyceride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Adverse changes associated with carbohydrate intake, including triglyceride levels, are stronger risk factors for heart disease in women than in men.[7] Triglyceride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Triglyceride levels are also reduced by exercise and by consuming omega-3 fatty acids from fish, flax seed oil, and other sour
    ces.
    See health effects of Omega-3. Triglyceride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So the carb connection is real. All I know is this...if it's real food, meat and vegetables, it's not out of some mill, box, ground, processed, reconstituted.