Thread: Bruce Lee and Primal workouts? page

mitchmatician is offline Junior Member

Bruce Lee and Primal workouts?

Shop Now
    I was reading the Tao the other day and I found an interesting passage about developing skill in technique. It said something along the lines about how one shouldn't overtrain because if they do they risk the possibility of having fatigue ruin the neurological conditioning needed to improve better performance.

This little nugget of info is making me re-analyze BL's teaching through a primal perspective. Any other connections?

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    I recall seeing a clip years ago, of him talking about his diet. While I can't say how primal what he ate was, he said something like everything he ate had a purpose, or he only ate food that had a purpose and was beneficial to his training. Nothing extraneous, or just for the hell of it.

IIRC the same clip he was using one of the strap on electrode kits to contract his muscles hundreds of times so that he would workout while he at the same time as he typed.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    I recall seeing a clip years ago, of him talking about his diet. While I can't say how primal what he ate was, he said something like everything he ate had a purpose, or he only ate food that had a purpose and was beneficial to his training. Nothing extraneous, or just for the hell of it.

IIRC the same clip he was using one of the strap on electrode kits to contract his muscles hundreds of times so that he would workout while he at the same time as he typed.
    Wanna get pumped, bro? Try this tazer, bro! It tans you too!
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

In Zen in the Martial Arts, there was a chapter where the author wanted to schedule lunch with Bruce, but he was turned down because it was Bruce's day to do nothing. Literally. He was not going to schedule anything on that day because the day was his and he was going to just go with the flow. His emphasis on spontaneity and intuitiveness in living is (in my opinion) a very Primal outlook. If our cup is never full, then we are still open to the daily spontaneity of life (tweaking his analogy of the cup of knowledge).

But if you're looking strictly for workouts, the only Primal parts are that he does a lot of compound lifts (although he also does a lot of isolation) and he does what he enjoys (for him, jogging. He didn't miss his daily jog!). If you read The Art of Expressing the Human Body, you'll find that he trained for several hours each day.
    Last edited by mightstone2k; 01-18-2012 at 06:46 AM. Reason: added workout comments