Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For primals on a budget: what are your staple foods/meals page

biancaaa is offline Member

For primals on a budget: what are your staple foods/meals

Primal Fuel
    I eat a lot of meals centered around eggs and just wanna mix things up a little bit so I have more variety on a smaller budget. Any suggestions?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Ground meat is cheap, and very versatile. I eat a lot of carrots & cabbage. Both are fairly versatile also. Onions too. They're almost a requirement.

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Eggs, with a side of eggs, on top of eggs with a side of lean ground beef (if not grass fed) cooked in coconut oil.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

brachiate is offline Senior Member
    Organ meats - frozen lamb hearts (roasted or sliced and stir-fried with veg) every now and then. To me they taste as good as lamb itself and have some great nutrients lower in other muscle. Liver, especially beef, is nutritionally dense but not to my taste. Stews/broths with a stock from bones you've got left over.
    Get's me thinking, I had bone marrow with paprika on toast in Hungary as a teenager and it was beautiful.
    The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.
    (Lily Tomlin)

I take life easier than almost anyone I know, but when I exercise I do it as though my life depends on it (which it does).
    (Arthur De Vany)

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Myth: Real food costs too much. This blog is great for showing you how to get real food on a budget.
    Karen De Coster
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Staple foods? I eat these pretty much every week:

Steak (assorted cuts)
    Sweet potatoes (jewel, garnet, Okinawan, Japanese, etc.)
    Salmon (Wild, fresh/frozen/canned)
    Eggs
    Apples
    Garlic
    Hot peppers (assorted)
    Extra virgin olive oil

I would find life difficult without those foods. Anything else can be cycled.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Meat on the bone is usually very cheap and is healthier for you than straight muscle meat. Cuts here are likely different to where you are but recently I've been eating lamb shanks (with the bone cut to release the marrow), lamb rosettes (slices of the neck bone so plenty of connective tissue and spinal cord), osso bucco and chuck on the bone. Slow cooked in curries, tagines, casseroles etc they are all delicious
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Whole chickens bought in bulk on sale....used to make the following:
    -whole roasted chickens (oven or grill)
    -cut up, seasoned and put on grill or roasted with veggies and sometimes sausage
    -soups
    -Leftovers used for lunches or chicken salad
    -Use leftover bones for stock and use that in soups
    (soups and stocks use onions,carrots and celery all inexpensive items that can be bought in bulk)

Chicken thighs and legs (bone and skin on), usually seasoned and grilled, or roasted with onions and peppers.

Turkey legs brined in salt water and seasonings and then roasted (not a staple for us, but usually the legs are inexpensive)

Pork roasts when on sale, usually cooked in crockpot

Ground beef/sausage for meatballs, meatloaf, or lettuce burgers

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    Sardines

McChunky is offline Member
    Buy meat that is on-sale that week and eat seasonal vegetables and fruit.

You're going to save money by not buying chips, bread, canned soup, cereals, frozen foods, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast