Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat Burning Foods? page

Unshod Sarah is offline Senior Member

Fat Burning Foods?

Primal Fuel
    So, this website claims the same old, same old conventional wisdom, but can certain foods burn fat really? Or is this just a list of usual diet foods?

Fat Burning Foods

And... discuss.
    Woman, Artist, Wife, Visionary, Mother, Gardener, Daughter, Tea-drinker, Friend, Believer.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    There are some good superfoods in there, e.g. broccoli, sweet potatoes, oily fish, berries. They won't burn fat per se, but they will bump up micronutrient intake which is a great facilitator for a weight loss programme. So there's some useful stuff there, but it's not enough, especially in terms of macronutrient ratios, and avoiding toxins!

In my opinion, the only real 'fat burner' there is coffee.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-17-2012 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typo
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    That, and cocaine.

Or did you mean only the legal ones?
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Laconophile is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Yup. I don't think there are any actual foods that result in a net energy loss (making them fat burning foods). I've heard it said that leafy greens take more energy to digest than they contain, but I've never seen proof.

That said, some foods are better than others when it comes to fat loss. Like eggs.
    Ye shall know them by their fruits.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laconophile View Post
    Yup. I don't think there are any actual foods that result in a net energy loss (making them fat burning foods). I've heard it said that leafy greens take more energy to digest than they contain, but I've never seen proof.

That said, some foods are better than others when it comes to fat loss. Like eggs.
    I think some of the more fibrous foods might give you a very small net energy loss to the point you could effectively regard them as free, but it's not going to offset over-consumption of other foods.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    That, and cocaine.

Or did you mean only the legal ones?
    I didn't see cocaine listed in the original article. I'm not sure I'll ever feel the need to try cocaine... now I've got primal!

Quote Originally Posted by Laconophile View Post
    I've heard it said about celery too. I refuse to eat the stuff unless it's fried in butter. Leafy greens are good for other reasons IMO such as magnesium and folate content.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    I think some of the more fibrous foods might give you a very small net energy loss to the point you could effectively regard them as free, but it's not going to offset over-consumption of other foods.
    I personally feel I need about 7 portions a day of veg for the fiber content for bowel health, plus vitamins and minerals - not to offset over-consumption of other foods.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

otzi Guest
    Grizzly Bears burn thousands of calories catching and eating ground squirrels, which only have a couple hundred calories...so, if you were to eat something that took a huge effort to prepare, it could be kind of like a negative calorie food, ie. veggies from your garden.

Flower is offline Member
    I think there are no fat burning foods but there are food which are free from fat, so to burn fat you can to exercise and to avoid further fat deposition in your body you can plan your right diet plan with foods which are free from fat.

Martha is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flower View Post
    I think there are no fat burning foods but there are food which are free from fat, so to burn fat you can to exercise and to avoid further fat deposition in your body you can plan your right diet plan with foods which are free from fat.
    Are. You. Kidding. Me.

Fat does not make us fat. Exercise does not make us slim. This is pretty basic primal knowledge.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OK hands up. Who else thought they'd clicked into one of the "mom discovers one weird tip" web advertisements for acaí berry?
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast