Thread: Beef/Uric Acid/Gout. page

Urban Savage is offline Junior Member

Beef/Uric Acid/Gout.

My mother in-law is interested in the primal lifestyle but is somewhat skeptical. She posed the good question ablut eating so much beef causing Gout through elevated Uric Acid levels. Does anyone know if this is a legitimate concern? I didn't know how to answer her, and there are not many facts on the subject (that I could find) on this site. Any thoughts?

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    I'm interested too - I've been PB for 4 months now and I get my first bloodwork done next week. Before PB I was diagnosed with gout (but didn't have the sore toe, just uric acid crystals in my joints). I don't believe that PB will cause this, but I do believe some of the meds I am on do...
    Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds
    Goal is 223 pounds or less

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    There is another thread about gout in the odds and ends forum with a link to a list of foods and their purine levels (purine converts to uric acid). The PB way of eating is fine, however those with gout need to focus on veggies, leaner meats, and healthy fat. I would not suggest the all out more fat is good mentality. My husband has gout and has no issues eating this way. Beer on the other hand.....very bad! Being overweight also exasperates gout and concentrates uric acid levels.

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm, all I know is that reducing carbs in the form of sugars and grains has helped enormously.
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

jturk is offline Senior Member
    Gout is one of the most well established diseases of civilization. As such, it is highly unlikely that eating the meat of ruminants causes it, and an ancestral diet would be an extremely reasonably thing to adopt for someone afflicted by it.

In recent years, there has been a significant amount of research on the role of fructose in gout (here's but one example), to the point where many in the mainstream have accepted it as perhaps the most significant etiologic factor.

Gout prevalence has risen dramatically in the past couple of decades, while red meat consumption has declined over that period.

It aint the beef.

Sadly, the typical physician doesn't know this data, so most patients still hear the avoid red meat advice.

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jturk View Post
    It aint the beef.
    Gout: The Missing Chapter from Good Calories, Bad Calories suggests that it's the Carbs/Bread/Sugar (take your pick)

I'm inclined to agree.

otzi Guest
    My gout went away when I stopped eating sugar, veg oil, wheat, most grains, and most fruit while tripling amount of meat and fat I ate. I had a gout attack at least once every 6 weeks on the SAD for years.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    You can be fairly certain that any ailment that gets a lot of drug advertisements during the evening news hour is probably caused by the SAD. Eat the opposite of the SAD. Eat your beef, eat your vegetables, avoid those grains and industrial seed oils. And whatever you do, don't take those meds! They always start out as:
    - Studies show that ....
    - Xyz corp has a new drug ...
    - Drug advertised to death ...
    - Drug recalled after people die ...
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Urban Savage is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the input folks.

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Don't forget our friendly HFCS poison - I figure that's a huge contributor as well!
    Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds
    Goal is 223 pounds or less