Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being in ketosis page

robmedina is offline Member

Primal Fuel

Since I am in Ketosis, I was curious about something. My body is burning fat for fuel, right?

How many pounds of fat would one burn in a day/ week etc?

For instance, yesterday I ran 6.84 miles- My watch says I burned 1331 calories- does that mean I burned something like 147 grams of fat? So if 1 pound = 453 grams, one could say that I lost roughly 1/3rd a pound of fat doing that excercise?

Is that right?

Thanks

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Well, your body's going to use whatever calories it gets from food, too. Calories from protein aside, I don't know if it burns body fat in tandem with dietary fat, or goes after body fat only when the gut is empty.

Anyway, supposing you eat nothing all day and are in ketosis, my understanding is that you will burn fat equal to your BMR plus the calories from exercise. BUT, there will likely be a touch of catabolism, depending on how active you are. I don't think that's anything to worry about for one day of fasting.

1331 calories from 7 miles of running seems really, really high. How long did that take you? Keep in mind that that will include your BMR. Like if a treadmill says you burned 300 calories in an hour, and your BMR is 2400 (100 per hour) then you actually burned 200 calories through exercise.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

misathemeb is offline Member

i agree with @primal, i burn high 500s or just crack 600cals if i run that far! i wouldn't trust a machine reading, do you have a heart rate monitor/watch?

I use a garmin 305. Remember that I am 226lbs too. That's alot of weight to move. I ran the distance in 1 hour 10minutes. I know, an average would be 100 calories per hour- I just went by the watch.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

There are also those who don't do any special kind of exercise, eat well above maintenance level calories in mostly fat and protein, and lose fat anyway, so without advanced knowledge of biology I really can't say what goes on. If you want some advice, remember that as far as fat loss goes, exercise is not about calories burned, it is about the positive hormonal reaction that helps fat loss.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Acmebike is offline Member

Too many hormones to say clearly! WIth chronic extended running, you may be burning up muscle! You may be burning stored fat, and of course you gotta work through the glycogen in the muscles and liver at some point.

That's a small part of why "calories in/calories out" is just not to be trusted! Too simplistic. And why the scale weight is meaningless. My initial weight loss success came at the expense of 15 or more pounds of muscle, not what I wanted!

Certainly pay attention to your intake, and set your body up for success! Plenty of rest/sleep, brief intense powerful work/sprints/heavy weights, proper building blocks and fuel, look at IF. You want to get the hormonal cascade that prefers burning your stored fat, and building/retaining muscle.

For me that is working out to be a very low carb, strictly Paleo way of eating. I lift 3 x a week (Crossfit and strength) in a fasted state, with a delayed post workout meal, generally, some randomness is infused by work, recreation and obligations. On top of that, I alpine ski, mountain bike and walk when it seems fun and fits the schedule.

It does make sense to track your food, and use the Garmin to track the exercise, pay attention to body composition and not just scale weight. Review the progress, and consider making changes to your plan. I ditched "aerobic/cardio" work for Crossfit and like that a lot better.

Acmebike is offline Member

Oh, and ketosis wise, I found that I can go for long stretches of zero carb, week+ at a time, and not test positive for ketones in my urine. When I first started Paleo/Primal livin', I was in deep ketosis every time I'd check. I'd suppose my body is now adapted to USING the ketones, so they are not excreted, so no positive test.

You can buy Ketosis test strips where ever diabetic supplies are sold.

"You want to get the hormonal cascade that prefers burning your stored fat, and building/retaining muscle."

How do I do that?

Personally, I really do not mind burning through a little muscle if in fact I am burning the fat up as well. My legs are huge. I have barely any fat on them and they are 26" at the thigh and 17.5" at the calf. My back is enormous as well. But of course, I will loose muscle in my least used area- my arms. Right now my biceps are 16.5" and my forearms are 13". I have been doing pull ups to keep my arms.

In the end, what I am looking for is lean. If my arms end up at 15"- I am ok with that. I just want to be lean. I run not to loose weight but because I really enjoy it.

jkilbane is offline Junior Member

If you aren't eating many carbs, I might suggest walking on an incline. It burns the same or more calories than running and it's MUCH easier on the body. Walking tends to use more fat calories than sugar calories for energy.

thanks jkilbane, but I love running. I am doing it for the joy (yes there is such a thing) of it. If I had to walk on a treadmil I would just sit on the couch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast