Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "But vegetarians are skinny..." page

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member

"But vegetarians are skinny..."

Shop Now
    Primal living seems to be working for Hubby and I. We've both lost weight, and I have a ton more energy.

But we know a lot of vegetarians (got a big hippie community near here). And, quite frankly, they're all skinny. Most of them have been vegetarian for years (or even their whole lives). And they're all slender and have some muscle (because they do yoga and such). Some are chronic cardio heads. All are 35+ years old.

Obviously, preaching to them about primal living is pointless (for a variety of reasons). But mostly, I just don't know how to fight the "but vegetarians are thin!" argument that some people put to me. In truth, around here at least, they ARE. A few that I'm very close to have told me their cholesterol numbers are good, blood pressure low, etc.

I've been reading a ton about this lifestyle: Mark's book, Taube's book, Nora's book. I just don't understand how all these people who seem to subsist entirely on grains/legumes manage to stay thin with flat bellies. The books make it seem as if eating that way almost inevitably leads to weight gain, moobs, etc. Is it just a calorie restriction thing? Good genes? Can I expect them to develop bigger bellies and more fat as they age?

There is one thing: some of the long-term vegetarians I know do seem to be more "wrinkled" and "old" looking than I am, despite the fact that they don't smoke (I do, and sometimes get carded for cigarettes at the ripe ol' age of 37) and are diligent about sunscreen (I am not). But is that just a gene thing, too?
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

Marnee is offline Senior Member
    "skinny" is not a an accurate diagnostic of health.

JennaRose is offline Senior Member

i was still fat as a vegan, even! i lost maybe 5 pounds the first week, but then i was still fat until i did a strict diet of eating animal products. then went back to veg and kept gaining weight.

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    One of the largest people I know has been a vegetarian (at least, she says she's a vegetarian?) for many years.

Oreos are vegetarian.
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

Quote Originally Posted by JennaRose View Post
    i was still fat as a vegan, even! i lost maybe 5 pounds the first week, but then i was still fat until i did a strict diet of eating animal products. then went back to veg and kept gaining weight.
    Yeah, I was vegan for about 5 years. I didn't lose any weight, didn't gain any either. Just pretty much kept at a set point (which, I might add, was not a point where I was happy). For a long time I thought the reason I didn't lose weight was because I was just eating too many calories.

Then I found primal, and this is the first time I've effortlessly lost weight in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkMistress View Post
    One of the largest people I know has been a vegetarian (at least, she says she's a vegetarian?) for many years.

Oreos are vegetarian.
    Yeah, I know it's possible to become fat as a vegetarian. But it's just the ones I know aren't fat. And I don't know why! You should what they eat! Big plates of brown rice, lots of lentils. And more than their fair share of pasta and bread. It's annoying to me, to be honest, that people who eat like this still have flat bellies.

shmee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnee View Post
    "skinny" is not a an accurate diagnostic of health.
    +1

As hard as it is these days to get people off this ridiculous idea, skinny does not = healthy!
    Start Weight: 265.8
    Current Weight: 234.4
    Leptin Reset started Jan 1, 2014

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry about them. Worry about you and what's working for you. You can be friends with people who have different lifestyles.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member

Two vegetarians...... one is rather slim, the other is not. Vegetarians are not all thin. And yes, at that time I was actively running a lot. And I weighed 45-50 lbs MORE than in that pic when I was vegan.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    This is kind of snide, and short of specifics, but a good starting point for why some veg*ns are thin. Vegans Are Cannibals: The Truth Behind The “New Vegan High” - GNOLLS.ORG

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast