Thread: Snacks/Backpack Food for weekend ice climbing (freezing) page

abexman is offline Member

Snacks/Backpack Food for weekend ice climbing (freezing)

Primal Fuel
    OK folks, saw some ideas for snacks for hiking. My situation is I will be ice climbing all weekend, outside in below freezing conditions while carrying some food in a backpack. Do you have suggestions for food that can sustain me and a partner for ~10 hours outside at a time and several hours physical exertion? Need things that can keep in a thermos or within packaging in a backpack. Some things like Cliff bars become very hard in the cold, but maybe a different kind of primal bar might be OK? I don't have a lot of time so stuff I can buy at the store is helpful - perhaps like nuts, platain chips, sweet potato chips, etc.

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    I snowboard and am in sub-freezing temps most of the day. I bring a coconut Lara bar which is small enough to put in an internal pocket close to my body heat, have had no problem with freezing.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

abexman is offline Member
    Thanks, that's one item. I need to pack food for an entire day, without being indoors at all during that time or access to any facilities. I can't keep everything on me, since I will be climbing.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Whiteblaze.net has a lot of ideas for hiking food. Even if your hike isn't a thru-hike, you might get some ideas.
    Thru hike + paleo diet

Backpacking light might also have some ideas.
    Food, Hydration, and Nutrition My Paleo -- BackpackingLight.com Forums
    Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Paleo breakfast for the trail -- BackpackingLight.com Forums
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3