Thread: Sugar & honey page

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member

Sugar & honey

Primal Fuel
    Quick question, a recipe i've found calls for 100g of sugar. I'm planning to substitute it for honey instead, should it be a like for like amount of honey (100g) or will a smaller amount go further?

Thanks.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

dave155 is offline Senior Member
    Great question. I starve for sweetners and have been using honey more. Is it a healthy substitute?

I've found a great local source and bought a large quantity...

Is that an Og Mandino quote?
    Start Date 1/1/12

SW 176
    CW 163
    GW 155

My Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45618.html

Satch12879 is offline Member
    Remember, professional bakers consider sugar as a wet ingredient, but that's a technical note.

You could try it, but sugar is often used in a recipe not just for sweetness but for how it affects the finished product in terms of texture, color, consistency, etc.

There's also a lot of moisture in honey, so your dry to liquid percentages all things being kept the same will be way off. This means whatever you're baking might either never rise, not set, or be way too wet.

Still, there's a larger point here, 100g or sugar versus 100g of honey is still a pretty large sweet quantity, either way. Are you sure you want to eat this?
    Read. The. Book.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave155 View Post
    Great question. I starve for sweetners and have been using honey more. Is it a healthy substitute?
    I don't believe it is as bad for you as processed white sugar, but it's still sugar. It's not good for you and should be regarded as a treat.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    ^Agreed. You might try to reduce the amount of the sugar or find a primal/paleo version of the recipe. There are usually little to no added sweeteners in those recipes and they can be very delicious, though the focus of t he food often becomes "savory" over "sweet".
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).