Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hashimotos help page

Ouaouaron is offline Senior Member

Hashimotos help

Primal Fuel
    Ok
    I am quite confused by all I see and hear about Hashimotos.

My doctor says that you cannot lower antibodies.
    She says that one must wait until thyroid is destroyed and TSH hormones go up before using hormone treatment.
    i.e. No way to reverse or slow it.

I am currently paleo for 3 months, feel great.
    I take selenium and vitamin d3 and digestive enzymes.

Here are my stats:

TWH 2.32
    T4 1.8
    T3 3

THYROGLOBULIN ANTIBODIES 27 H
    THYROID PEROXIDASE >1000 H

I am going to be retested in a few months.
    What can be done to lower/reverse the the immune response and are these hormone levels good for now?

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    What???? Find a new doc quickly!!! When you remove the foods w/ lectins, the body stops fighting them and attacking the thyroid (at least that's my experience) and you can start to heal. You may need some T4 or T3 replacement to keep levels where you feel well and can function. What about your selenium and iodine levels - also important for thyroid function. Keep learning on your own and find what works for you.

kkratz57 is offline Senior Member

JVib is offline Senior Member
    I was just at the Endocrinologist with my wife last week. This Dr told my wife the same thing. She stated that her thyroid will eventually cease to function and there was absolutely nothing she can do about it. I asked some key questions, like: What triggers the autoimmune response? She told me that it is just “something that happens” and there is nothing you can do about it. I asked if there was anything she could have done to prevent it. The Dr. said no. Personally I think that is complete BS.

I have done a decent amount of research on Hashimoto’s and from what I’ve read, if you stop the issue that is causing the antibody attack you can stop the destruction of your thyroid…and you may even be able to reverse the damage if your thyroid isn’t already too far gone.

Here is a great book to read: “Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal: A Revolutionary Breakthrough In Understanding Hashimoto’s Disease and Hypothyroidism” by Dr. K

From my understanding you must COMPLETELY remove gluten from your life (not just food, but there is gluten in healthcare products as well). Then you must heal leaky gut (proper nutrition and supplements). My wife started completely removing gluten today. She is taking more vitamin D, B12, and probiotics.
    Last edited by JVib; 01-18-2012 at 01:54 PM.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

lexie is offline Senior Member
    Check your adrenals, too. Adrenal fatigue can put more stress on your thyroid, and if you don't fix the underlying adrenal issue, it's near to impossible to fix your thyroid.

BrassyDel is offline Member
    Thirding the Dr. K book (though JVib above quoted the wrong author). My mom's hypothyroid and lupus go into remission without animal protein (she still loves meat, but cheats with it leave her in pain). Going mostly grain-free relieved her chest pains (she has lung scarring and a genetic bronchial defect).

For me, primal made a huge improvement in my hypothyroid symptoms and general inflammation, but I have to be gluten free, dairy/casein free, and soy free in addition to no nightshades. If they slide into my 20%, I WILL pay for it. Gluten is on my NEVER CHEAT WITH list, and dairy ought to be, but that is so damned hard.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JVib View Post
    I asked some key questions, like: What triggers the autoimmune response? She told me that it is just “something that happens” and there is nothing you can do about it.
    This is unfortunately all too common. I've never had a doctor tell me WHY my thyroid died; even the endocrinologist just spat back the "something that happens" line of reasoning. I always found this unsatisfactory, and I've been to at least five doctors since I was diagnosed ten years ago. My mom, sister, and grandfather (on my dad's side) all have/had hypothyroidism, and the catch-all "it just happens" logic seems to me to be the opposite of what good medicine should be -- boundless curiosity to figure out why people are getting sick.

I'm attempting a full elimination diet. So far the only change I've noticed is my seasonal allergies are slo-o-o-owly clearing up. I don't think at this point there's any salvaging my thyroid. Too many years under attack. Alas.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Here is the Ultimate Help for Hashimotos and any other Thyroid problems:
    Iodine - The Misunderstood Nutrient (David Brownstein) - Full Length - YouTube

This video is a MUST SEE for everyone on the Paleo Diet !
    Grizz

EileenC is offline Junior Member
    Your doctor is a dips***. Antibodies CAN be lowered if you eliminate gluten. It has happened with both me and my daughter (we have Hashi's). I second the recommendation for the Stop the Thyroid Madness site. I'm still in process working through the recommendations there, but already have made huge progress in treating my thyroid disease that CW failed to do.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Eileen,

I don't like your site, Stop the Thyroid Madness because it immediately jumps into blood testing & drugs to TREAT the symptoms. Dr. David Brownstein has superior information because he goes after the source of the problem which is insufficient iodine in our diet. Fix the insufficient iodine & cure the diseases. IMO, Better to cure a disease than to treat it.. THIS is exactly what is wrong with doctors today. . . . TREAT the symptoms instead of a plan to cure the underlying problems.

Your Thyroid Madness site does recommend this site which is far better IMO, Iodine4Health:
    Iodine

So I say follow Dr. David Brownstein and his approach to supplement with required iodine for good health and if that FAILS, then it is time for doctors & their drugs. This reminds me of Diabetes. We can treat Diabetes with drugs, are we can cure it with diet & exercise. I prefer the dietary cure over treatment with expensive drugs.

You just can't call Dr. Brownstein a DipS*** because he has many years of valuable experience and is a professional with sound advice. You cannot dismiss everything he says. In his seminar, he does request patients to eliminate gluten. Did you even watch his entire seminar? I have been researching iodine for months, and I can verify his seminar is mostly accurate, the best I've seen so far.

EDIT:
    This just came in... Dr. Kruse on Hashi:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post685919

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 01-18-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast