Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any other Type As have problems de-stressing? page

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member

Any other Type As have problems de-stressing?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been reading a lot about how reducing stress can help with health, weight loss, etc.

I'm always stressed. (According to Hubby, it's "self-imposed" stress.) My mind is constantly occupied with a list of what I need to do, or what I *should* be doing. I take on big projects to keep me busy. I do activities that I don't enjoy because I *should* do them (i.e. gardening). I have personal stressors that I can't let go, even though I know I should (toxic friends, too many commitments, etc.)

I am not the type to do yoga, meditate, etc. Trying to be still only makes me want to jump up and get something done. lol

Anyone have some stress reducing suggestions that works for the type of personality like mine?
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    I'm a chronically stressed Type A also, and it leads to insomnia, and tight, tensed muscles, teeth clenching. Unfortunately I self-medicated with lots and lots of alcohol. I just bought a supplement with melatonin and GABA, so maybe that will help.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    hmm.. do not think I am a type A.. I am an expert multi-tasker though. It is rare I am doing one thing at a time, which causes stress but I CAN'T LET GO!! For instance, I will fold laundry +swap out loads, watch a video with the kid, answer her questions and engage in conversation, while researching something online and texting. It's insane.. but.. but.. but.. it's the way I roll
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

lexie is offline Senior Member
    I'm a go-go-go person too, but I've had a lot of success with guided mediation. I picked something short (10 minutes), since I told myself I could spare 10. It's harder sometimes to justify longer chunks of time, but 10 minutes isn't going to make much difference with the never-ending list of chores.

I also picked guided/visualization meditations because it gives me something to do. It's hard to sit still and think of nothing. It's much easier to lie on the floor comfortably and visualize what you're instructed to. It can take a bit of time getting used to, but I found it very helpful. I like to do it before bed when I'm winding down, since it has the added bonus of helping me fall asleep faster.
    Last edited by lexie; 01-17-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: typo

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Once I studied Toaism I stopped caring
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Total Type A with a ton of work stress. I've got the Emwave2 from heartmath that helps me to decompress. It uses biofeedback for heart rate variability.

Also St. Johns Wort helps me as does exercising and walking.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Add me to that list. Combine it with an addiction to my laptop and cell phone and well... that's a dandy mess.

I know that I need to be getting more play & sleep, and that it's hurting me to neglect these things. Making myself do it, on the other hand, is another store. I'd rather be DOING something, and leisure always seems like wasting time. :-/

dado Guest
    Types, lol.

Smoke drugs

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    Smoke drugs
    Oh, I wish. But those days are behind me now that I have kids.

I was self-medicating with alcohol, for sure. Easily drinking 3-5 drinks per night, every night, for months before I went primal. I have more energy now, but I also don't relax as much.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city
    I try to tire myself out with heavy weight lifting and long walks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast