Thread: Breastfeeding and low carb page

Beauty is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Hello All,

I'm wondering about whether there is anything in particular us breast feeders should be watching out for nutritionally. I realize that Grok mothers were probably in ketosis often enough, but what little I've found about it on the internets is that some women are concerned about ketones in the breast milk affecting the baby.

My son is 2 years 2 months old, so not an infant, and he feeds very often (a little too much me thinks-working on it gently) sometimes up to 20 times per 24 hours. I find that when my carb intake is low, my temples pulse. I feel so much better/deeply nourished when I keep my carbs above 100--and I seem to be able to loose weight this way. When I tried restricting the carbs, I over-ate other things and basically felt deprived. I don't know how much of it is psychological, and or how much my psyche might just be listening to my body's needs.

I guess I'm just wondering what other peoples' experiences have been with this. I think I'm figuring out what's best for me, but the more information I have the better!

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

First of all, let me say that my younger son nursed until he was almost 3. There was a point there I didn't like to sit down because every time I did he took a nursing break! It was usually just for a minute or two, but at the time I was convinced he would go to high school nursing.

He didn't.

I just gradually started setting gentle limits and nursing times. Instead of saying "no" outright, I would say, "Let's wait until just before naptime and then we can cuddle for a while." Then we just had nursing times upon waking in the morning, at naptime, and at bedtime. Gradually, we got down to only the bedtime nursing. (It helped to have Dad go in the morning to get him up rather than me. He forgot about the morning nursing after a while.)

As to how you feel.....newborn nursing, where nursing is supplying all of a babies' needs....'costs' about 500 extra calories a day. This diminishes significantly when the baby starts eating real foods, but still, as long as you are producing milk, you have higher calorie needs.

I don't know enough to tell you about carbs and breastfeeding, but I can suggest that you make sure you eating enough high quality fat for your energy needs.

PWG

soror is offline Senior Member

If at 100g you feel good and are losing weight and meeting goals like you want then I wouldn't stress about it. I keep my carbs to 50-100 usually. Some days less and some days I carb up to around 100-150(primal food- just carby ones). As you said I think that the grok mom would have been in ketosis a fair amt- Anyway, I just go by how I feel and watch the baby. No sense in looking for trouble.

Mama to 4, wife to my love

soror is offline Senior Member

and btw my babe is 2.5 months old. I was lc since well before this pregnancy.

Mama to 4, wife to my love

Hey PrimalWannabe, thanks for the tips on the slow and gentle self-weaning encouragement. It makes sense to be making deals with my son now, as he understands what a deal is these days. And it's always so good to hear that yes, indeed, he will stop one day. Especially good to hear now, since he's been on a suckling marathon these last two nights I think because he's got a tooth coming in (he's been drooling too!).

soror, good to hear from you!

FairyRae2 Guest

Trying to stay under 150 g carbs is my personal goal (it ranges from 100-150 typically), and I'm nursing my almost 3 year old, frequently. I would try to follow what your body is telling you. It's not like you're taking in 300 g carbs a day, you know? I've tried going lower and lower carb since finding the PB, and just seem to end up carb-loading/binging after a few days. Maybe I haven't gone low carb enough, maybe I've never made the switch to ketosis. But it's not a huge deal to *me*. Following my body's cues to eat this more moderate level of (fruit/veggie) carbs just feels best *to me* right now. If I want to go lower carb in the future, when I'm not making all this milk for my little man, I can always get strict at that point in time. I'm certainly not gaining weight eating this many carbs, and continually feel like I'm losing.
    [quote]

When I tried restricting the carbs, I over-ate other things and basically felt deprived. I don&#39;t know how much of it is psychological, and or how much my psyche might just be listening to my body&#39;s needs.</blockquote>

I&#39;m glad you brought this up. I had cut processed foods, gluten, dairy, corn and soy out of my diet at least a year b/4 dropping grains and going more primal. I had also dropped a lot of my hang ups around food (including wanting to binge eat--a problem I once had--and feeling guilty about what I ate). I was eating whatever (whole, unprocessed foods) I wanted, whenever I wanted, and NOT overeating and NOT overthinking it--just following my body and for the first time, NOT feeling guilty about anything I ate. Learning about carbs and, in turn, focusing so much on carb content of foods actually led me to get some of those hang ups back. (Feeling guilty about the number of carbs I ate, binging once in a while in a deprived feeling mode.) It&#39;s something I&#39;m still working through. I really really LOVE looking at macronutrients and trying to get the perfect balance in my diet *for me*. And I LOVE learning about all of this stuff. But at the same time, thinking about it so much has reinvigorated some old habits/issues that I had that are not so positive. It&#39;s a tough line to walk, and one I&#39;m working on. Following my body and trying to stick to primal foods is where I try to find balance here. It all comes back to, does this serve me? Does this make me feel good? Listening to my body always seems to help me get back into balance. Just wanted to lyk you&#39;re not alone!!

FairyRae2: It&#39;s good to know you&#39;re out there! I am also noticing that the more I think about food, the more I tend to eat. This most recent change (since December) of removing all grains and all forms of refined sugar (I had already removed gluten, oats, potatoes, etc.,) has me thinking about it all the time, but perhaps that&#39;s just how it is as I am learning about it. Eventually, I suspect I&#39;ll figure what works best for me soon enough. Anyway, it&#39;s also great to know there are other extended breast feeders out there too!

kam904s is offline Member

You&#39;re not the only one. My little guy&#39;s a bit over a month old now and there are days I want to weep since it feels like he&#39;s eating every hour on the hour.

The funny part is that he&#39;s a BIG BOY - 90% percentile for length and weight. I don&#39;t know if my diet has anything to do with it but eating primally hasn&#39;t seemed to effect his appetite. In fact, nothing has so far. He doesn&#39;t appear to have any of the food allergies I was worried he&#39;d pick up.

FairyRae2 Guest

Kam, your post reminds me of myself/my experience--my ds nursed every 45 minutes once we fully established nursing, and continued to do so until he was at least 8 months old...Did you know there are cultures in which the babes nurse every 13 minutes, on average? I think we should all try to ignore the &#39;newborns should eat every 2-3 hours&#39; ideology, and just follow our kiddo&#39;s cues. (Even LLL has that printed in their book--the every 2-3 hours thing--and it drives me crazy. I held that as sacred b/c both my lactation consultant and LLL said it/wrote it, and I thought something was wrong w/ me b/c my son wanted to nurse so much more often than that...) And, most importantly, learn to nurse laying down in a comfy position, so you can sleep through some of it if possible!
    [quote]

This most recent change (since December) of removing all grains and all forms of refined sugar (I had already removed gluten, oats, potatoes, etc.,) has me thinking about it all the time, but perhaps that&#39;s just how it is as I am learning about it. Eventually, I suspect I&#39;ll figure what works best for me soon enough.
    </blockquote>

I think this is the case w/ me too--it&#39;s just SO FUN to learn about it all, I just have trouble NOT thinking about it, reading about it, etc... That&#39;s kind of how I learn though--a period of obsessiveness a/b a certain topic, where I eat/sleep/breathe what I&#39;m learning about, then a period of rebalancing while fitting the new knowledge into my life in the way that works best for me...