Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sitting posture page

Drlove is offline Senior Member

Sitting posture

Shop Now
    Hey,

Recently I decided that I should try hard and sit straight. Even without the chair's back support.
    Now, when doing so... except it being hard, I seem to feel weird pain in my upper thighs, pretty much in the connection between my hips and my thighs. And I also feel my lower back a little more (it hurts a little).

Now, I wonder if I'm doing the right thing, perhaps I should use the chair's back support?
    Because the stress on the lower back while sitting straight (Without the chair's back support) is much more intense, and that's because the weight isn't divided (to the legs, while standing, it is, that's why I don't feel such pain while standing straight).

Should I keep sitting in this straight posture? or might it have perilous consequences? (regarding my lower back).

Thanks!

phreebie is offline Senior Member
    Don't sit - stand!
    I'm posting from my tablet, so not going to post the link, but Mark has written articles on the main site about standing. It's great :-)
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

My Journal/story is at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread38948.html

Turnstone is offline Senior Member
    Try to strenghten your back muscles. When they are strong enough, you will sit straight without thinking about it.

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Ideally no one should remain in a static position for very long, so feel free to switch it up. Try sitting with and without the back rest (they are useful at times to give your back a rest) and stand if your desk allows for it. Don't forget to also take a break about every 45 minutes to walk around and look at things other than a computer screen.

chrismayes is offline Junior Member
    Here is a great link for sitting posture:

Prevent Back and Neck Pain When Sitting

It also links to other articles on back problems and how to fix common issues.

Aye, I understand we were meant to stand more than we were meant to sit. But even in the article you gave me ("prevent back and neck pain.."), it says that sitting completely straight-vertical might be problematic (according to some newspaper-article). So how am I supposed to sit? semi-straight?

I will incorporate the rest of the advice-standing up more, stretching and avoid sitting for a long time.

But it seems that even static standing is problematic (it sure is for me though), so I assume that.. one does not simply remain static, whether his sitting or standing. Did I get it right?

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    according to my boss, a chiropractor, you should sit in the chair and scoot your butt all the way to the back of the chair then sit up straight. also, try to "duckie" sit instead of "tuckie" sit, poke your butt out like a duck instead of tucking it in (keeping the S curve of the spine, instead of a C curve)

standing is better than sitting, but if you do sit, sit like that

Duck, I see. duck it is.
    Thanks!

One more thing.
    It seems to hurt a little down "there", when I sit straight and like a duck. is it just something I need to get used to?
    Last edited by Drlove; 01-17-2012 at 10:58 AM.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
    Try to strenghten your back muscles. When they are strong enough, you will sit straight without thinking about it.
    Gotta squat and deadlift

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drlove View Post
    Duck, I see. duck it is.
    Thanks!

One more thing.
    It seems to hurt a little down "there", when I sit straight and like a duck. is it just something I need to get used to?
    it can be uncomfortable, as the muscles aren't used to proper posture. if it continues to hurt after a prolonged period, i'd maybe see a chiro about it. could be an alignment issue. like, if i sit with proper shoulder posture (shoulders back) it causes my muscles to hurt as i'm more used to a hunched posture (awful, i know lol)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast