Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paula Deen and MSNBC~Sooooo pissed!!! page

PrimalBaker is offline Member

Paula Deen and MSNBC~Sooooo pissed!!!

From MSNBC's article about Paula Deen's diabetes following the Today Show interview this AM:

What’s important when it comes to diabetes prevention is not what you eat, but rather, how much, said Linda Siminerio, director of the Diabetes Institute at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
    “To my knowledge no particular food has been linked to an increase in the risk of diabetes,” Siminerio said. “It’s being overweight and inactive."

Even a director of a diabetes center doesn't get it! STOP prescribing more grains for diabetics! STOP pretending butter and bacon and eggs and full-fat milk and steak and dark meat turkey are to blame! Not that I was diabetic but when I changed to a Primal eating style my fasting glucose levels dropped dramatically. How is that for proof that cutting out pasta, bread, grains in general works for correcting the insulin/glucose response in one's body.

I am so pissed with Paula Deen and Novartis and the so-called health experts, and the stupid commenters who think they know better, who are certain that butter and bacon are what's doing America in. Fine, be tied to drugs forever, and a motorized scooter. I will run circles around you and yes, maybe even gloat a little bit, about how my health and therefore my life is just that much more satisfying. And better.

so disgusted...
    I NEED Sunshine! And a beach would be nice too!
    Started Primal living February 14, 2011

Kunko is offline Member
    That is really weird, I mean even my slightly stupid diabetic doctor realizes carbs are to blame and encouraged me whenever I said I was lowering them. Then again she is an odd ball telling me not to switch to an adult doctor (yeah she is a pediatric diabetes doctors) until I want to. So awkward in that waiting room, at least they all assume I'm 16.

I mean really, is everyone in the medical world just gonna jump back onto the band wagon that carbs are blameless innocent things, and it is the evil sugar and fat that kill us? Oh carbs, you are magical with your brain washing abilities, or maybe it is all the money you have in the bank.

rhee is offline Senior Member
    “To my knowledge no particular food has been linked to an increase in the risk of diabetes,” Siminerio said. “It’s being overweight and inactive."

Yet, it could not possibly be all the sugar and grains making her overweight and inactive. Oh well, now after eating her super-sized dessert she can end her show with an insulin shot.

hazmat is offline Senior Member
    Why is this surprising? Follow the money.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Quote Originally Posted by hazmat View Post
    Why is this surprising? Follow the money.
    Not surprising at all, just so infuriating! Especially when I have spend nearly a year trying to get my husband to follow my lead and to have our children eat better as well. Lucky for me my kids are healthy and are more open to my views on nutrition so it hasn't been all bad. But to see Paula Deen still making lasagna on TV and say she just needs to eat less of it, and to see a director of a diabetes center say there is no link to any particular food to diabetes MAKES ME MAD!!! Now she's talking about some dessert made with "only" one cup of sugar. And the gluten-free pasta. WTF??

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    Okay, I admit I only skimmed through most of it. My eyes glazed over after a bit. Just not interested today, I guess. But it seemed this woman was talking mainly about genes. IIRC, in Primal Blueprint Mark talked about how we CAN REPROGRAM our genes. I felt like she was goving diabetics license to blame genetics and/or their mothers for their diabetes. I get genetics does play a role but there is so much we can do to change things.

Also, while it's great she did site actually research, she is a romance writer. I do not tend to take this article seriously (right or wrong of me), especially seeing as how she wrote only of genetics in this one article. I'd have had to check the other links but I wasn't feeling up to it. Think of those others who felt the same as I did but had no other ways of thinking about nutrition outside CW. They just found a great justification for themselves.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    People hear what they want to hear. The sad thing is that diabetes is no joke. My dad has it, and at some point, the complications become far more than just a need for insulin and meds and end up really messing with you when a little starts to go wrong. I don't think people take it seriously because you can control it with meds. It is funny- "no its not what you eat" yet at the same time "being obese is a contributing factor", so is being obese not about what you eat? No, you aren't getting enough exercise (so we don't offend our sponsors). Then everything is OK in moderation, and even apparently Chicken McNuggets are healthy.

We have a very messed up society. You can eat anything but need to exercise, which ranges from a 20 minute walk to an hour a day of hard core cardio, per recommendations. You can eat anything, just in moderation, but fat is really freaking bad, and man made chemicals are very healthy with some fruits and whole grains. Oh and while your at it, ladies, the only pretty women are a size 0 with 12% body fat and spanx- and well, they actually don't eat, I mean they claim to eat... but we are not sure. And obesity is the devil, so eat less, but whatever you want in moderation and exercise. But by the way, Pizza is a vegetable for your kids because it has a tsp. of tomato sauce prepared with corn syrup (oh - it has corn in it! that's where the veggie comes in since maters are a fruit).

It's kind of fun watching different food lobbies create policy. Pretty soon, sugar will be the base of the food pyramid when Hostess and M&M Mars and CocaCola all need bail outs.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalBaker View Post
    Okay, I admit I only skimmed through most of it. My eyes glazed over after a bit. Just not interested today, I guess. But it seemed this woman was talking mainly about genes. IIRC, in Primal Blueprint Mark talked about how we CAN REPROGRAM our genes. I felt like she was goving diabetics license to blame genetics and/or their mothers for their diabetes. I get genetics does play a role but there is so much we can do to change things.

Also, while it's great she did site actually research, she is a romance writer. I do not tend to take this article seriously (right or wrong of me), especially seeing as how she wrote only of genetics in this one article. I'd have had to check the other links but I wasn't feeling up to it. Think of those others who felt the same as I did but had no other ways of thinking about nutrition outside CW. They just found a great justification for themselves.
    well if you read the whole thing, you will see that the article also states that a person can turn their diabetes around by eating low carb/primal. what you eat might not be the true cause of diabetes but what you eat certainly may fix it or keep you from getting it
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    People hear what they want to hear. The sad thing is that diabetes is no joke. My dad has it, and at some point, the complications become far more than just a need for insulin and meds and end up really messing with you when a little starts to go wrong. I don't think people take it seriously because you can control it with meds. It is funny- "no its not what you eat" yet at the same time "being obese is a contributing factor", so is being obese not about what you eat? No, you aren't getting enough exercise (so we don't offend our sponsors). Then everything is OK in moderation, and even apparently Chicken McNuggets are healthy.

We have a very messed up society. You can eat anything but need to exercise, which ranges from a 20 minute walk to an hour a day of hard core cardio, per recommendations. You can eat anything, just in moderation, but fat is really freaking bad, and man made chemicals are very healthy with some fruits and whole grains. Oh and while your at it, ladies, the only pretty women are a size 0 with 12% body fat and spanx- and well, they actually don't eat, I mean they claim to eat... but we are not sure. And obesity is the devil, so eat less, but whatever you want in moderation and exercise. But by the way, Pizza is a vegetable for your kids because it has a tsp. of tomato sauce prepared with corn syrup (oh - it has corn in it! that's where the veggie comes in since maters are a fruit).

It's kind of fun watching different food lobbies create policy. Pretty soon, sugar will be the base of the food pyramid when Hostess and M&M Mars and CocaCola all need bail outs.
    haha I love this! spot on! can we show this to every person on weight watchers.
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast