Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Make your own chocolate bars page

Craigology is offline Junior Member

Make your own chocolate bars

Primal Fuel
    Hi all

This is the first of what I wish to be many posts.

Today I'm starting on a sweet subject, yes that of dark chocolate.
    I've read many posts regarding chocolate and the thiughts that people have: should it be 72% cacao? Should it be 90%? Should it be 100%

To be honest, as long as the chocolate is 72% cacao and above, your on the right track.
    Chocolate needs sugar added to it (plus other ingredients) to make it appealing to our taste buds, without it it simply tastes bitter. So here's my answer, home-made chocolate bars!

Buy your favorite dark chocolate, be that 72%, 90% or 100% cacao.
    Break it up and put into a heat-proof bowl and steam the bowl over boiling water to melt the chocolate.
    Now finely chop your favorite dried fruit or unsalted nuts or both so that they are nice good and small.
    Add these to the chocolate and stir in well. Once done, line a small dish with baking paper and pour the mix into the dish. Spread the mixture out until nice and even. Place in the fridge to cool down and set!
    In no time at all, you'll have your own healthy chocolate bar, made with your own healthy ingredients.

So far I have made various batches with cashew and dried coconut, date and dried coconut, brazil nut and dried prunes. My personal favorite being, cashew, raisin, coconut and brazil nuts... They all tasted great.

Experiment with your own favorite ingredients and post here :-)

I've seen a post that mixes dark chocolate and sea salt. Sounds great, i'll have to give it a try...

All the best
    Craig
    Last edited by Craigology; 01-17-2012 at 05:39 AM.

cave-e8r is offline Member
    I've made the one with sea salt twice, using 86% caoco, and it's pretty good but a little bitter. I bought dried cherries for the next batch, I also mix in macadamia nuts. I'm hoping the cherries will sweeten it up just enough.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I have done macadamia nuts, almonds, mint extract and chipotle versions. All good. I start with 100% cacao and add stevia to taste.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Alainneire is offline Senior Member
    yummmm love my chocolate! Lindt is my favorite store bought :-) but i've really loved making my own! Organic raw cocoa powder, coconut oil and stevia to taste...... i also play around with fun things to add...
    I love my primal life

Fury is offline Senior Member
    My favorite version of homemade chocolates involves creamed coconut and/or thick coconut milk, melted +72% dark chocolate, cocoa powder and a touch of stevia. (I've also added chocolate protein powder on occasion)

Pour & spread on parchment paper covered baking sheet and refrigerate a few hours. Comes out semi-solid, like a soft fudge or very firm mousse. Use a small spoon to scoop little balls of the chocolate mixture and roll in finely shredded coconut and store in refrigerator.

End result is little balls of chocolate/coconut that remind me of moist truffles, just with more of a melt in your mouth feel. Only difficult part is rolling the balls in coconut & shaping quick enough before the heat from your hands begins to melt the center.

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigology View Post
    Experiment with your own favorite ingredients and post here :-)
    macadamia nuts and sea salt with 86%

and of course.....bacon and dark chocolate is a treat that always makes me sigh with pleasure.
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member

Craigology is offline Junior Member
    Fury: Chocolate coconut truffles!!
    Oh wow these sound amazing! Thanks for sharing, I'll definitely be giving these a go!
    Last edited by Craigology; 01-17-2012 at 02:12 PM.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    I've been making my own chocolates for a long time now. Here are some I made over the holidays:

When I make them for myself, I use 100% baking chocolate with stevia, so they're 100% dark essentially. I use a different mix of oils, extracts and liqueurs for flavorings, but here's a typical setup depending on who I'm making them for:

I have lots of molds of all different shapes and sizes.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

damnit is offline Junior Member
    I put dark chocolate chips in my dark chocolate bars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast