Thread: Chicken fat? page

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member

Chicken fat?

Primal Fuel
    I made a glorious roast chicken last night. It was very juicy and I have a good cup of chicken fat. Is it good for anything or should I toss it? I know chicken is not considered the optimal meat, so I wonder about the fat.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    I love tossing veggies in the chicken fat and roasting them with the chicken! So basically I throw them in the pan and just let nature take its course but you could save it to fry up some other things. I love all animal fats!

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andtckrtoo View Post
    I made a glorious roast chicken last night. It was very juicy and I have a good cup of chicken fat. Is it good for anything or should I toss it? I know chicken is not considered the optimal meat, so I wonder about the fat.
    mmmm schmaltz. The healthier the bird the healthier the fat. Veggies in schmaltz is delish. Don't forget to make soup/bone stock from the carcass.

dml
    dml is offline Senior Member
    I think the quality really depends on how the chicken was raised. I tend to prefer goose fat and duck fat for cooking (over chicken fat), but when I know I have a chicken that spent a lot of time outdoors finding its own food, I'll use that fat as well. I think that one of the big issues with chicken fat is that grain-fed chickens have a very high amount of omega-6 fat.

billp is offline Senior Member
    I had the same problem with excess poultry fat. The answer is to pour it in the frying pan and keep it deep in fat. Then you will naturally use more in cooking, and things will cook quicker and crispier. So I never have a surplus of fat any more. In fact, I think only using a little bit of fat or oil in the frying pan is part of the whole low-fat thing and there is no real need for it once you realise you can eat as much fat as you like without getting fat yourself.