Thread: Can I gain muscle AND lose fat weight at the same time? page

Neeps is offline Junior Member

Can I gain muscle AND lose fat weight at the same time?

Hi I'm a 33 year old guy and I am relatively new to the primal diet, about 2 months in and loving it so far.

Having been 300 lbs a few years ago I yoyo'd down to 260 lbs over 2 years by calorie counting and cardio. Now that I switched to primal I have lost more weight and I'm now about 235 lbs.

One of the things I remember from the calorie counting days was reading that it was impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time because fat loss required a calorie deficit and muscle gain required a calorie surplus. I saw this stated a number of times on a calorie counting forum and wondered what the opinion of the community here would be on that topic?

Thanks in advance
    Neeps

ppham27 is offline Member
    Yes, see Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health.

fat loss and concomitant strength/muscle gain is the norm. Fat loss with full strength/muscle retention is worst case

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Check out Ori Hofmekler's work and also Lean Hybrid.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    You absolutely can. It's especially easy to do if you are very overweight, which you still are. If you eat healthy and do regular resistance training you will definitely get stronger while also shedding pounds.

Check out leangains.com if you want to really dive into details. Martin Berkhan can get people who are already very fit down to very low body fat while also gaining muscle.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Laconophile is offline Senior Member
    Leangains is the way to go. Recomping leangains-style gives you both calorie surpluses (high calorie workout days) and calorie deficits (low calorie rest days as well as the fasts)

This should get you started:
    LeanGains FAQ
    The Leangains Guide | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health
    Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Since August I have lost 8.33% of my bodyweight and I am gaining a lot of muscle. The key is to eat Primal (low carb, lots of meat & veges and don't sweat the fat content) and steady exercise. I do swimming 5-6 days a week - it takes me 2 hours to do my 36 laps but I am feeling great and am much stronger than I was - and pain free for the first time in 20 years. Look in my Journal if you want the nitty gritty details

So it is definitely possible!
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The way I understood it was, when you do resistance exercises (lifting weights), it raised your metabolism. Rasing you metabolism caused your body to burn more fat. Lifting the weight increased the muscle's size, bigger muscles need more fuel thus it signals the body to increase the metabolism to get more fuel. I think I have this right.