Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else tracking blood sugar? page

hollie is offline Junior Member

I've never been diagnosed with diabetes, but I'm about 50 pounds over a heathy BMI, and I'm completely apple-shaped. My abdomen and waist form the largest bank of my body fat, by a wide margin.

Through links from this forum I found my way to "Track Your Plaque", where the author of that blog recommends not eating anything that raises your blood sugar over 120, which you test 60 minutes after the meal is done.

Okay, so I've been doing this and learning a lot, but getting the occasional weird reading, like tonight:

I had 3 small fried (in non-trans oil, I was told) salmon fillets, and maybe a very small handful (perhaps an ounce?) of french fries. This was at Ivar's, a staple here in Seattle. The fish is wild-caught salmon. I didn't have any pop or anything like that, although I did have maybe a teaspoon of ketchup (which I think has a fair amount of sugar, doesn't it?)

An hour after my meal, my blood sugar was 120. Okay, I thought that was maybe a little too high, and next time I'd make to sure to avoid the fries.

An hour after that, so now it's 2 hours post meal: blood sugar is 151. What the heck? Is that normal? Why would my blood sugar be 120 an hour post-meal, and then RISE to 151 after that? I tested this on both hands and the results were within 2 points of each other.

I'm getting concerned that I could be developing diabetes, since I've basically subsisted on sugar-like products for years and years. Bread and cereals are my staples. I've spent the last decade trying to go vegan with very little success, and am now winding around to the primal way of life after reading so much about it, and it just making a lot of sense.

Anyone know why my blood sugar would rise 2 hours after the meal? I did check it at 2 hours and 30 minutes - then it was 110, so that's good. But the spike concerns me, and I'd like to understand it.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

That sounds like insulin resistance to me. Your cells have most definitely become resistant to insulin. A lot of things exacerbate it and all of those years of eating grains and sugar most certainly did. You should look into healing that.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

hollie is offline Junior Member

Keep the snark, thanks.

Obviously the grains and sugar did damage, I realize that. What I'm trying to understand is why the blood sugar readings are higher at 2 hours than 1. If that's insulin resistance, then does that mean I should always be testing 2 hours post?

I found it interesting that the glucose reader I got has directions (intended for diabetics) that say to test at 2 hours post, rather than an hour. I was curious about the discrepancy.

I've love some feedback from people who have actually been here awhile.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

You don't have to have been a member of this site to know things and answer questions. Your blood sugar was higher after 2 hours because after 1 hour you still had more to digest.

I will say that although I'm certain there is some insulin resistance, those tests seem inaccurate.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

I do follow my blood sugars sometimes, partly out of curiosity, and partly because my non-overweight father was recently diagnosed a type II, but he's been having symptoms likely attributable to high blood sugar since he was 35.

If you'd eaten some baked (not fried) french fries alone, your glucose peak would have been earlier, and possibly even higher than what you saw at 2 hours. But because you added protein and fat to the meal, digestion and absorption of the starch was slowed. That resulted in a slower peaking. Some people have a problem with slow stomach emptying as well, called gastroparesis, and that can cause delayed blood sugar peaks.

How are your fasting sugars and your typical postprandial sugars? Do you have a recent hemoglobin A1c level? Was that meal representative of your normal diet?

You know, I'm not sure Davis ever really specifies at what time to take postprandial readings, or if he did, he contradicts himself in other posts. The 1 hour readings will often (but not always) give you the peak, and the 2 hour readings will usually give you some idea of how well your body handled that meal.

Knowing what you know now, I'd probably switch to 2 hour postprandials, or if your strips are cheap enough, do both 1 and 2 hour readings. Then, if the 2 hour is higher than the 1 hour, take a 3 hour as well. If you find that your blood sugar control is often inadequate, get your hands on Bernstein's book. Davis is good, but Bernstein is an endocrinologist and has a lot more clinical experience backing up his recommendations for managing blood sugar.

Good luck unraveling the puzzle!

(In case you want to switch meters to get cheaper strips, I really like the Accu-Chek Aviva, which is the meter Bernstein recommends for best precision and accuracy. The meter is $20 and sometimes comes with a mail-in rebate. The strips are $25 for a 50-strip box on Amazon.)

Baglady is offline Junior Member

Hollie I am sure not trying to hijack your thread but I am having similar issues and the discussion here is helping me by sending me in new directions for information. Thanks to those responding so far!

Breif: Started Primal Oct, had BG levels under control, realized Celiac, stopped all statins & anti depressants in Nov. I have been 85% Primal since. I had reduced exercise and have had a very stressful last two months for my business, but handled it very well and have been feeling really good. I only gained 4 pounds back during this time and am since more relaxed and back to exercising. I went to my doctor last week and told him I wanted a redo, that I had quit my meds, he was not happy. The lipid study is not back yet but I did get an urgent call that my A1c was elevated and my fasting was 122.

That night I had 8 oz wine, Cod fish w/bell peppers, and a few bite of my hubbys tater. two hrs later 105. Perfect right, I get up the next morning and BAM 142. Now that is some freaky shit it took all day to get it down. I IF'd breakfast and ate my BAS about 2. Had a ribeye and salad for dinner with wine again. My total Carb s yesterday were 60. BS 2 hrs later before bed 129 This morning I am at 140. I am speechless and don't have a clue. I am thinking it is the wine, but I am counting those carbs and giving it a higher number than it prob is, again I am lost,,,,,,help

My next step is to do an "Induction period" and try to cleanse my system.

So Any thoughts, suggestions would be in tall order for me too

I sure hope we can get Griff to chime in...........

Bags
    Primal Since 10/2009

Baglady is offline Junior Member

Pikaia

Berstein? what is his full name or the name of his book?

edit

NEVER MIND!!! Found it......thank you!!

Bags
    Primal Since 10/2009

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member

I am a recently diagnosed diabetic and couldn't resist checking out this thread and commenting. Forgive me for not being better informed, but then again, I've done nothing but read and think diabetes for three months, perhaps I have something that can be helpful.

First--that you had fat with your meal--good fat, bad fat, whatever--slows down the digestion of carbs and delays the peak, as Pikaia has already helpfully said. There's your short answer.

Other than that, I have no idea what this one incident may mean--there are so many variables.

But--if I may gratuitously add two cents of only partially related advice:

Beware the obsessive blood glucose testing. It becomes maddening, if you're the type to become maddened by such things (and here I speak from experience--my hands and my poor little brain are a mess after only 3 months of this).

Further, the innertube experts (not referring to anyone here--pls posters don't take offense--this is a far more general observation!!) agree on a couple of things: first, that no number (post-meal, fasting, A1C, whatever) is good enough, and many will imply personal failure with the least provocation; and second, that no amount of testing provides enough information to allay concerns over one's numbers not being good enough, so test test test despite any mental or financial discomfort it may cause.

Then again, you really, really, really don't want to develop diabetes, if you can avoid it--which maybe you can, maybe you can't, no one knows for sure for any one person. If you do, you'll feel guilty enough, no matter how hard you've tried to avoid it or not, and otherwise perfectly nice people will unwittingly (or gleefully, or self-righteously) let you know they think it's your fault anyway. It sucks.

What you should probably do is take your concerns to your doctor.

(Okay--now someone can chime in with how little doctors understand about diabetes--which is true, but still, you have to trust someone at some point, and I bet a decent doctor knows more than you right now!)

Good luck. Sincerely. I hear your concern and with your family history and central weight you are well within reason to explore this, but don't let it distract you so much you forget to look both ways before crossing the street!

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member

Baglady--I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but you need to follow through with your doctor.

Also, not to scare you, but you should know that alcohol with a meal will generally for most people LOWER blood glucose for that meal (I can explain if you want), and for me, it will even lower it significantly the next morning fasting.

Good luck.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Baglady, if your bedtime sugar is routinely significantly lower than your waking sugar, gastroparesis is a possibility, and so is "dawn phenomenon." Neither is good. You could have elevated sugar for several hours in a row every night, and that's a prescription for organ damage. Luckily, most people find they can control or at least blunt their overnight blood sugar rises using diet, activity, and/or meds/supplements. Read Bernstein's book ASAP and see your doctor soon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast