Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else tracking blood sugar? page 2

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Baglady, one more thought: some diabetics whose blood sugar rises overnight find that they cannot get it to stop rising in the morning until they have a small amount of carb. For those individuals, that small dose of carbs "resets" things and allows more normal blood sugar regulation to resume. If I recall correctly, there are several people on Bernstein's forums who have shared their personal experience with this....

Baglady is offline Junior Member

Thank you, that's what I was looking for is some direction to get more info..........

Bags
    Primal Since 10/2009

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member

Baglady, perhaps you are already on top of this, but if you have an elevated A1C and received an urgent call regarding it, please follow through with your doctor!

(And of course, read and think about everything you can.)

Griff is offline Senior Member

Both the OP and Baglady need to call their doctors NOW and get an A1c test done. High blood sugar is nothing to fool with.

Baglady, I'd bet you've had an elevated sugar level for some time. When I started Primal, I avoided carby foods like carrots and tomatoes and all fruit for about a month. It took my sugars a good month and a half to totally stabilize at normal levels. The bites you had of your husband's potato were really not good for you, and the wine probably counteracted some, but not all, of the damage.

Anyone who is having blood sugar problems like the ones described here needs to stop eating any carb foods until their sugars normalize. That means no potatoes, no fruit, no grains, no nuts, hold it to 20g or less per day, and test test test test test all the time until you know what foods spike you.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Thanks Griff I do plan to see the doctor this coming week.

When I started PB in Oct and was doing as you said back then, testing all the time and when I felt my sugars were normal averaging between 98 & 100, end of Oct I quit testing and have felt fantastic ever since. Proir to PB I had reversed my pre diabetes and the doctor was happy with my A1c and I hadn't had a problem for 1.5 years. Now the A1c is 5.6 and the doctor must find it alarming since I just told him I had been avoiding sugar, grain & legume. I had quit drinking beer and switched to wine. Also the bites of potatoe I mentioned was the first in quite some time, my cheats have been legumes and a few corn tortillas on a few occasions but I try to stay away from all that cause i hate how it bloats me up!

So Griff I have more questions...could this merely be a result of stress and no exercise? cause I feel I should be controling all of this with diet and that those two things shouldn't matter that much but I have had real high stress levels for the last 60 days

Could it be the wine? I don't drink it as much as I drank beer and felt it had way more positive properties then the beer too.

Or could this be the result of some other issue?

I have already started back at the drawing board logging all my food and am testing 5-6 times a day before and 2 hrs aft meals

Sorry to ramble......snowed in here and have nothing else to occupy myself with and am very frustrated

Bags

Bags
    Primal Since 10/2009

Griff is offline Senior Member

Baglady: It's also a possibility that your pancreas took so much abuse that it's dying anyway. That happens, unfortunately, and the older you get the more likely it becomes. The legumes could definitely be part of it. Corn tortillas, definitely.

I would go to fitday or thedailyplate and track every bite you eat for a week. You may be surprised at the carb creep. It does happen. And if you're stressed it's probably more likely than not that carb creep is part of it, as we tend not to be as strict with our diets when we're stressed.

If you're going to do this you have to commit to it seriously and decide that you are never eating the non-primal foods again. And since you also have a diabetic condition, you have the additional restriction of "carbs as low as possible," which means restricting things like dairy, nuts, fruits, and sugary veggies like tomatoes and carrots as well as the more processed and obvious nonfoods like pasta, grains and bread.

What's a typical day's diet like? Give us an example of what you ate yesterday.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member

"could this merely be a result of stress and no exercise?"

Baglady, forgive me for butting in here, as I realize you know and trust Griff...

... and also, I am very much a diabetic, and I have no idea if you are, and even if you are, everybody's different...

But my experience with my blood sugar now that it has stabilized (more or less):

Stress--

Significant stress that I can't control (for example, NOT work or project stress--rather, car trouble, financial surprise, bad news from an earlier medical test, or simply an unexpected bad mood...) can elevate my fbg by as much as 20 or 30 points, and can effect how my body responds to meals.

Exercise--

If I exercise at any time the day before, I can hope to see numbers in the low to mid 90's as my fbg, and if I exercise early in the day I can hope that my afternoon and night-time fasting numbers will be identical to my morning number. If I don't exercise for more than a few days in a row, I can expect my fbg to be in the mid 110's more often than not.

I'm having to learn to treat stress-reduction and exercise as if they were in my pill box.

So yes, at least for some people, stress and exercise can have a significant effect on blood glucose measurements.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

gottaluvalab please don't hesitate to share with me, I have been around for a few months and feel Griff has a real good understanding and he's kinda a researchy fellow I have learned to listen to. He inspires me.

Griff I am back at my primal log and will start posting my meals and all there. I don't want diabetes and will do what I have to. Your help will be much needed as I am also expecting the Berkley Labs, you know the ones where they tell me if my LDL are still small and sticky? I can't remember the names but i know I got the ones you suggest. so please come take a looky when you can I should get them later this week.

Gottaluvalab....I am feeling it is the lack of exercise and have just started back now that my work load is again to a managable level. If you look at my journal from last fall you will see where I was at with exercise. I am upping the crossfit classes to 2xper week now too.

With yawls help I am sure we will figure it out and once I do I will do a happy dance. I just hope it's not too late and I end up in the boat Griff mentioned above.

Thanks yawl!!!

Bags
    Primal Since 10/2009

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12