Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (mattrogers55) page

mattrogers55 is offline Member

Primal Journal (mattrogers55)

Primal Fuel
    I guess I should start with an introduction just in case someone other than me looks at this. I've been in the US Army Reserve since Feb 2007 and I'm still in. I'm going to school to finish my BA and I'm currently considering joining ROTC to become an officer in the Active Duty Army.

Flashback to being teen and I used being an offensive lineman on my high school football team as an excuse to eat whatever, whenever, and however much I wanted to. Growing up in Texas this was seen as acceptable and even encouraged. I excelled at football, but by the time I graduated there really wasn't any excuse for a 250lb body.

Without the normal exercise I did in high school athletics, but with my eating habits still fully intact, I ballooned to 280lbs over the next two years. I got married to my HS sweetheart(YAY!) and enlisted into the Army around the same time. Basic training and AIT ended up being a great weight loss plan as I arrived home at 205lbs! Holy smokes! I went back to 250lbs now that I got that home cookin' until I got deployed to Kuwait from 2008-09 arriving home this time at 235lbs.

Since I got home from deployment I ballooned to a record 303lbs!! Well going over 300 was what finally got me pissed off enough to make a dramatic life change. I started doing Crossfit, which is what lead me to Paleo, which is what lead me to Primal.

I LOVE IT!

From Nov 1st to today(Jan 16th) I've lost 40lbs, which puts me at 263lbs!

I only recently jumped into the forums, but when I saw the PB Journals I knew I wanted a place to post what I was eating and how I was exercising so that I could keep myself accountable and others could too. Also I want to look back at what I've ate and the progress I've made. Maybe I'll inspire someone like I've been inspired!?!?
    "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace by those who have been trained by it."

HT: 6' 2"
    Peak Wt: 303lbs- Nov 1st 2011
    Current Wt: 240lbs- Sep 1st 2012

5amsports is offline Junior Member
    Great Job So Far!

It is nice to leave 300 in the rear view mirror. I have been above and below that number too many times following conventional diets. I think I have it beaten this time though. Keep after it.
    Last edited by 5amsports; 01-16-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: poor grammar, like usual.
    01/1/11: 312.5
    08/25/11: 296.3 PB Start Weight
    01/1/12: 246.0
    03/31/12: 227
    CW: 277
    Next Goal: 250 (1/1/13)

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Wow! 40 pounds is a great amount to lose. And the cool part is that you'll be under 250 before long. When you get under that, you'll be less than at the end of high school. What kind of things are you typically eating?

Though I've been Primal for a little bit, I'll call this Day 1 since I just started the journal:

I've been IF'ing everyday for 3 weeks diner to dinner, BUT early this morning my wife was eating in bed while I was still asleep before she left for work. (this is part of her normal wake up routine and nothing new.)

My wife hasn't bought in to Primal yet, she is a RN and highly skeptical of a diet high in fat, but she's in the middle of a Beachbody 90-day Challenge so I told her i'd convert her when she finished(I mean we already purchased the over-priced Shakology powder.)

Well for breakfast this morning she made pancakes using oatmeal and eggs. In my groggy, middle of sleep, 530am brain, I told her "that sounds interesting, can I have a bite?" Of course she obliged, but as soon as I swallowed I woke up and said "Oh no! This totally ruins my fast, plus it's not primal!"

Feeling defeated, I decided to skip IF for the first day in 3 weeks. So around 1030 I whipped up a mean Primal Brunch:

3 eggs fried over medium in coconut oil along with minced garlic and purple onions. Covered in a handful of microwaveable frozen diced chicken,(yeah I do a lazy primal) blue cheese crumbles, and buffalo sauce. I ate a handful blueberries, 1 kiwi, a tangerine, and a small cup of Chocolate Almond Milk(I bought it before I read about the 50g limit on carbs for people trying to lose weight, but you might as well finish it right?)

I'm so excited for dinner, because I got a recipe from everydaypaleo for some easy pulled pork. IT'S IN MY CROCK POT RIGHT NOW. I'll report back later on results of how that came out, plus I'll be making a trip to Frisco Crossfit!
    "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace by those who have been trained by it."

Freaker is offline Member
    Nice job, Matt. Sounds like we are kind of similar, weight-wise. I'm at 263, and aiming to end up at 205 or so if everything goes right. I'll be keeping an eye out for your posts.

Don't sweat a bit of something bad. It won't kill you. For the day, you'll still be good. And that sounds like a hell of a brunch.....
    Starting Weight - January 3, 2012 - 276.4 lbs
    One Month - February 3, 2012 - 260.8 lbs
    Two Months - March 3, 2012 - 253.8 lbs

Current Weight - April 3, 2012 - 246.0 lbs

My Journal

My new blog dedicated to creative writing and dark spirits

Quote Originally Posted by lopisheep View Post
    Wow! 40 pounds is a great amount to lose. And the cool part is that you'll be under 250 before long. When you get under that, you'll be less than at the end of high school. What kind of things are you typically eating?
    I'm super excited to get and stay under my high school weight! As per my normal eating: most recently I've been doing IF everyday so I've only been preparing dinner. I'm pretty lazy so I love making soups, stews, and roasts in my slow cooker. I'll also grill steaks. When I have limited supplies I'll microwave some frozen diced chicken and mix it with something. Of course I'll eat eggs at any time. When I go out to eat I like to get fajitas, steak, BBQ, seafood, or salads. My favorite soup is chicken tortilla soup(and just leave out the chips.)

Day 1 Review (yesterday)

The Pulled Pork I made last night was incredible! A big thanks to EverydayPaleo.com for the recipe! All it took was a bed of onions on bottom, the shoulder butt roast dry rubbed in a bunch of good stuff, and covered in more onions. 6 hours on high, 3 hours on medium. The thing literally fell apart when I took it out. Absolutely perfect!

I was taken back by how little I ate of it before I felt full though. I guess I've been IF'ing for long enough (3 weeks) that I had already eaten most of the days requirements when I decided to make it a non-fasting day yesterday and eat brunch. I'm ELATED to be able to hear and what my body told me and stop eating! Major step I think.

So dinner:

A small portion of pulled pork(with plenty of fat)
    Small portion of onions that were cooked with it
    1 avocado
    1 Michelob Ultra- my friend gave me some beer that had been sitting in his fridge forever. Did you know it only has 2.6 carbs? That fits.
    2 finger pinches of crumbled blue cheese (it's like a craving I get)
    A small handful of salad tomatoes

That's it! I would have ate more pork and maybe some pistachios, but I just wasn't hungry enough. Go figure.

17 Jan- Today's Crossfit work out (done in a fasted state) was brutal!

StrengthWOD:
    Single Leg Romanian DeadLift
    6 x 3 (I did 115lbs since this was the first time I've done this exercise.)

ConditioningWOD: For time
    Squats + KB swings
    400 m run
    400 m run
    400 m run ~My time was 19:15~I used 35lb kettle bell

I drove home and dove into dinner:

Cereal bowl sized portion of pulled pork and onions w/ a pinch of crumbled blue cheese
    2 handfuls of blueberries
    About 15 cherries
    2 handfuls of pistachios
    Tumbler sized glass of chocolate almond milk
    Lots of Water

I'm pretty full. I might have overdone it on the pistachios, but mentally I really wanted them.

Wednesday is my skip day, in that, I usually fast dinner to dinner, but I eat Tuesday's dinner and don't eat again till Thursday's dinner. I did it last Wednesday very successfully and I plan on making it a once a week thing. My wife still thinks I'm crazy, but she's always thought that so it's not an issue.

Wed & Thur

I fasted all day Wednesday so no food to record. I do take a college basketball class every wednesday though so I spent about 3 hours playing pick-up basketball. I tried to take it easy and keep it more for fun than a work out on it's own, but I think that the 3 hours of activity boosted my fat burning a LOT.

Today(thursday) I broke my 48 hour fast at 5pm for dinner. I ate:

2 eggs over easy w/ blue cheese crumbles on top, cooked in coconut oil with minced garlic, purple onions, and green onions. Pulled pork piled on top of that so you can't actually see the eggs. Finally, I pour some buffalo sauce on top to give it an extra kick!
    A little under a dozen cherries
    1 handful of pistachios
    1 small glass of Dark Chocolate Almond Milk

I only have one more day's worth of pulled pork so I'm thinking about what to cook next. Any suggestions?

I was actually pretty busy and decided to make it a rest day so no working out.

I weight myself before I ate today and came in at 256!
    47 pounds lost so far!
    I might throw a party when I get into the 240's!

Sad day, I canceled my Crossfit membership . My semester didn't fit with their training schedule so I couldn't justify the price. I loved my time at Frisco Crossfit and I've never felt more welcomed in a gym. I would highly suggest it to anyone in the north Dallas area

I joined the local Globogym (24 hour fitness) I'm currently reading starting strength and practical programming, both by Mark Rippetoe. I'll be doing the majority of my training based on what I learn from these books. I've seen a bunch of people have success with it. Whatchu think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast