Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with Balancing the Workouts, Please page

Leida is offline Senior Member

Help with Balancing the Workouts, Please

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Good folks, I think I need a reality check. For a few weeks I have been suspecting that I am overdoing it. I had been fatigued and had a persistent back pain all week last week, and I am starting to suspect over-training.

This week I am going to be out of the deload part of the workouts, and try to push the weights back up, so I think it is important to scale back on something to stand a chance of breaking past the stall.

Goal: gain muscle at maintenance; diet: Whole 30 with white potatoes, eat when hungry, till full. Normally IF 14-16 hrs during the weekdays.

Here is what I normally do in a week:

Tu, Th, Sun: 3 lifting sessions with the 5 major barbell lifts, pyramided up (5 sets each), Madcow Schedule (SQT-BBR-BP/ lght SQT-OHP-DL, SQT-OHP-BBR-BP) + support on parallel bars (leg raise, pull-up, dips, chin-up)
    Sat: 1 machine session, 2x8 at ~ 60-70% 1 RPM
    30-40 min of dedicated cardio (bike 1x a week, Arc Trainer) 3-4 times a week (normally Mon, Tu, Th, Fri). I try to do it in Interval pattern, but if I am too tired, I just do SS.
    Walking & stretching: I try to walk 60 min a day, and stretch 30 min a day (usually I get about 5x a week)

I like eating more on Saturday and Sunday, so I really would like to train on both Saturday and Sunday.

The most under-recovered part of me are my legs. In other words, the legs feel tired when I start squats.

I think my body is more tired from cardio than from the machine workout. Should I simply drop cardio to Mon and Fri, or should I drop a machine workout and replace it with cardio, and, maybe some body weight work (planks, push-ups?) Or should I split Sat and Sunday into the UB and LB workout doing BP, OHP and BBR on Saturday, and the SQT and DL on Sunday? Any benefit from adding a couple of machine excercises then to each LB and UB workout?
    Last edited by Leida; 01-16-2012 at 09:41 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Roguls is offline Junior Member
    Ditch the cardio. Sprint once every ten days.

Your barbell routine is all you need - I am at about 8-10% bf, and all I do is eat primally, do strong lifts 5x5 once or twice a week, and get my ass to a yoga class as much as I can (1-2 days/week). And ditch the white potatoes man, they are useless. Have sweet potatoes or go fully primal.

You'll find doing less will help. You are far too fatigued.

I am a sugar addict, so sweet potato is out for me - the sweet flavor triggers sweet cravings. I am not worried about not eating enough minerals, as I am consuming a huge amounts of other veggies. Plus, Choco have me convinced that a white potato is superior as a post-workout carb (it works really well for me shutting down my appetite, a quick starch saturation)

I am inclined to think along the same lines, dropping a cardio session or two. I am a female, so I do require a bit of extra cardio in addition to lifting, so I can't just go to 1 time every 7 days, but 2x a week is probably a better idea than 3 or 4.

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    Hey Leida, definitely cut back on the cardio and focus on the lifts. You say muscle building is your goal so cardio should just be an afterthought if you're up to it. You won't gain fat if your diet is spot on.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Cut the machine work...
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

dado Guest
    what is this?

you gotta squat.

Cut the machine work...
    Well, if I cut machine work, should I change my lifting regimen for Saturday and Sunday so I train upper boy on Saturday and Lower body on Sunday? I really need a workout on both Saturday and Sunday, because I find it difficult to eat less and IF on the weekend?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    If you are doing Madcow that means you are an experienced lifter (a year or more of solid gains). Madcow does not pyramid every session from what I remember. 3 days of Madcow is enough so drop the machines.
    Sat Heavy madcow day
    Sun long walk (slow cardio over an hour)
    Monday Rest
    Tuesday Madcow
    Wed Sprints
    Thursday Madcow
    Friday Cardio/slow cardio

Keeping in mind you can do slow cardio on Madcow days as well. If you body is still nor recovering extend the 3 Madcow over 10 days, don't worry about the weekend, and add extra slow movement days inbetween.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    You shouldn't be exercising to make up for eating more.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    I think you are over training. Cut your lifting to only once per week. I'm 54 and began lifting at age 19. I did the typical high volume training at age 20 and got way over trained. My resting heart rate was around 90, and ended up with a bad back and had to quite lifting for a lest a year. Long story short, I got into the HIT training lifting each body part 2-3 times per week. I was still over training.

Why only once per week? Because it takes that long to recover and gain from a HIT workout. The heck of it is, through most of my years lifting I could only get about 300lbs in my bench press. When I cut back to lifting once per week I got up to a 365lb bench and was using 300+ for reps. I was 47-48 years old. But that's when all those years of lifting too much caught up with me and my shoulders began to hurt. I now have some arthritis in my rotary cuffs. If you think you are over training experiment and cut back. You aren't going to lose muscles, and you might find yourself gaining.

I never workout to burn calories. It's a waste of time to think you burn a lot of calories exercising. I was talking to a friend just this morning about this. He walks and bought a new pedometer that calculates calories burned per mile. He was talking about how age inputting into the pedometer reduces the calories burned per mile. I told him the reason age reduces the calories per mile is that it assumes you are carrying less muscle then a younger man would. It's because the pedometer's calculations not only includes the energy to cover the body's distance but it also includes you Base Metabolic Rate (BMR) which are the calories he's be burning anyway drinking his cup of coffee. Two people the exact same size and weight (irregardless of age) will use the same amount of energy walking the same distance....irregardless of age. If that weren't true it'd mean your muscles get more efficient the older you get.

For example: if the average person burns 100-150 calorie to cover a mile, that person would have to walk 700 to 466 miles to burn the calories equal to 20lbs. I know a postman who has told me some days he'll walk 11 miles. He's still fat. It's just too easy to eat those calories back on.
    Last edited by Scott F; 01-18-2012 at 09:07 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast