Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folic acid page

Drlove is offline Senior Member

Folic acid

Shop Now
    Hey,

Almost a year ago my blood test indicated a deficiency in folic acid. Problem is, it seems that folic acid is almost completely absent from anything primal. It seems the only things that do contain it are grains and breakfast cereals.

So, what can I do? (except taking a supplement).

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    There's loads of folic acid in vegetables such as spinach, asparagus; also plenty to be found in egg yolks, kidney and liver.

I'm concerned about eating too much of the stuff on primal!
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    There's loads of folic acid in vegetables such as spinach, asparagus; also plenty to be found in egg yolks, kidney and liver.
    +1

I've looked into nutrition database and it showed that there is no folic acid whatsoever in eggs, liver and so on. (I've checked eggs, and pretty sure about liver).

Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com

Have a look.

rhee is offline Senior Member
    Maybe it is listed under one of its other names like B9 ...
    Folic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drlove View Post
    I've looked into nutrition database and it showed that there is no folic acid whatsoever in eggs, liver and so on. (I've checked eggs, and pretty sure about liver).

Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com

Have a look.
    Folate - MayoClinic.com

Folic acid is a synthesized compound. It was added to cereal grains in the US starting in 1996 (mandatory compliance by 1998). That's why it's found in our grains: because we started fortifying them, not because it naturally occurred there. The prevention of neural tube defects were the reason for this change.

Folate is found naturally in food. It's what you actually want, as there may be reasons to be concerned about excess folic acid in the diet.

Cordain is pretty hard on folic acid in his latest literature, and thinks you should get your folate naturally, not from supplements like folic acid.
    Last edited by onalark; 01-16-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Korga is offline Member
    Well, you may look into why you have the deficiency in the first place. Mine is caused by a medication I take, so it's unavoidable and I take a supplement. I can gauge when I am more or less deficient by the amount/frequency with which I develop mouth canker sores and headaches. It's a somewhat serious issue, so you should address it.
    Folic Acid Deficiency: The Causes, Symptoms, and Stages of Folate Deficiency and Anemia | Suite101.com

I see.
    So getting sufficient folate, even if it contains nearly no folic acid, is okay too?
    I'm thinking of getting a blood test after hearing that, but not yet though. Soon enough, I'll check the rest of my vitamins and minerals as well.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drlove View Post
    I see.
    So getting sufficient folate, even if it contains nearly no folic acid, is okay too?
    I'm thinking of getting a blood test after hearing that, but not yet though. Soon enough, I'll check the rest of my vitamins and minerals as well.
    Here's a little more info:
    Mark Hyman, MD: Nutrition Tips: Folic Acid: Killer or Cure-All?

Folic acid is apparently more readily absorbed by the body, but this may not be a good thing....

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the clarifications onalark
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast