Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How not to exercise? page

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member

How not to exercise?

Shop Now
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    Competition can be self destructive
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure what was so bad about this article. Are you so turned off by the chronic cardio aspect? I would agree, as a paleo/primal type, that stuff is obviously horrible, but I do think the advice presented in the article is solid in an "inspirational" sense:
    Set a goal, get support for goal, celebrate small successes, try other training methods, and find inspiration. That's solid stuff that I would recommend to anyone starting virtually any training regimen.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalest View Post
    I'm not sure what was so bad about this article. Are you so turned off by the chronic cardio aspect? I would agree, as a paleo/primal type, that stuff is obviously horrible, but I do think the advice presented in the article is solid in an "inspirational" sense:
    Set a goal, get support for goal, celebrate small successes, try other training methods, and find inspiration. That's solid stuff that I would recommend to anyone starting virtually any training regimen.
    +1

While I hate CC(I see it as most analogous to a drug addiction), I thought her training advice was spectacular.

The "do mega cardio and push really hard and keep going even though it keeps on hurting" vibe. Yeah she's awesome, and not taking anything away from her, but some of it just made me wince. Course I have no objection to her inspirational stuff about goal-setting and so on .
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

badly_dubbed is offline Senior Member
    shes a tri champion. without chronic training like that she would just be a normal person who runs a bit here and there. it fits her lifestyle. not ours.

good article.
    "Today’s technological age is enjoyed by the fattest, laziest humans in the history of humanity." -Mark Sisson

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
    The "do mega cardio and push really hard and keep going even though it keeps on hurting" vibe. Yeah she's awesome, and not taking anything away from her, but some of it just made me wince. Course I have no objection to her inspirational stuff about goal-setting and so on .
    Ah, I can see that. I think that just comes with the territory of endurance work. You have to get through that pain in order to get the "runner's high" that they are after. Otherwise, there's just suffering without a payoff.

I can't say I understand the endurance work, personally, it's just miserable to me. TETO, though, many who do endurance work would hate what I enjoy.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    If I wanted to be a triathlete that's how I would train. As it is I prefer speed over distance, but I don't see a problem with training to achieve a goal.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    ^ Either way, as soon as it gets competitive and/or obsessive one can quickly get to a point when it simply becomes unhealthy. Not just with endurance - you can also do Starting Strength, then progress to advanced programming schemes in order to see how much weight you can put on your back. This will eventually cause an injury, and I've read comments by Mark Rippetoe to that effect. Injuries are unavoidable once you push your body beyond some point, and doing so is unavoidable if you want to seriously compete with others, or if you try to maximise your performance for the sake of doing so.

Oh for goodness sake, I'm not criticising her- the article is written as inspiration for regular people wanting to get fitter, not for people training for triathlon.

If her body can take it, good for her, but "push yourself hard and keep going through the pain" on a regular basis with a ton of CC is not my idea of health for most people. I thought PB said the same. Ah well.

Harold Whitman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast