Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Losing muscle as we age page 2

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Those pictures are great.

They would need a picture of a 40 year old sedentary man with similar composition as the 70 year old for best effect though.

Luckily, at 24, I hopefully have a good 60+ years of vitality ahead of me to keep improving. And though I am sure I will not maintain completely 100% peak strength and physical capability into my final years, I am banking on wisdom, experience and grandkids to close the gap until I croak unexpectedly while doing something epic, or maybe sleeping. I haven't decided yet if I would prefer to go quietly or in a blaze of glory.

I know which one dado would pick though.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    I'm 42 and saw that too but did not read the study linked in the article. I'm in the best shape of my life, not bad for a totally sedentary job and two young kids. When I look around at most other parents, I feel like I am in the top 10% or better fitness wise.

Unfortunately, I don't like the implication that one has to be a "triathlete" to be healthy or have quads of steel at 74. I believe Mark would roundly criticize this type of endeavor although I suppose with a base of extreme fitness it is possible although as Mark points out this type of training was not in the long run beneficial for him. However for those of us with demanding jobs, kids, marriages, and yards/homes to take care of (I am both the gardener and housekeeper) spending time training for a triathalon is an incredibly selfish, indulgent type of behavior. Given a choice between spending time with my kids on the weekend or training for a tri, I would pick the former any day.

One important point of the PB is that you can be extremely fit with short intense bursts of heavy lifting and sprinting not running marathons, swimming endless laps, or biking until you puke. Screw training for a tri, I think all of us can have legs like the guy in the photo without the type of lifestyle that mandates an unrealistic training schedule for most of us.

floaton is offline Junior Member
    Wow... the bone density is even quite different. Calcium PH leeching could be on display here.

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by HillsideGina View Post
    We're in our fifties and working to keep muscle and develop more! Besides, I don't want my husband to get that old-man no-ass look since I like his tushie.
    My wife always comments when she sees someone who lost their ass. Since Igot sick in OCTOBER of 2010, she says I have lost some. That is the bad news, the good news is, she is still checking my ass out. =)
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12