Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scientifically rational ideas why my gallbladder acts up when I ... page 3

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Pancreatitis - National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse

• Pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas, causing digestive enzymes to become active inside the pancreas and damage pancreatic tissue.
    Suddenly I'm not hungry anymore. I think I'm gonna be sick.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    There is a direct link between gluten intolerance, thyroid antibodies and gallbladder problems. Most people who react to gluten also react to other grains, esp. corn. So, you eat grains, it affects your thyroid, which then affects your gallbladder: Could Your Gallbladder Problem Be the Result of Hypothyroidism?

Mystery solved

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post
    Most people who react to gluten also react to other grains, esp. corn.
    Didn't know that, thought gluten was only in wheat (unless there has been cross-contamination)
    I have Grave's disease (hyperthyroidism) and I read that too can cause gallbladder problems.

So, you eat grains, it affects your thyroid, which then affects your gallbladder: Could Your Gallbladder Problem Be the Result of Hypothyroidism?
    Mystery solved
    I know that, but the reason I posted in the first place was because I wanted to know (as close as possible to scientific detail) what makes that happen.
    If I asked you: "How do you fall asleep?", you might reply "I close my eyes and wait. Duh."
    That much is obvious, but that's not what I'm asking, I would be trying to understand, in detail, what happens in your body for that makes it fall asleep.

The thing I quoted sort of explains why I have pain (pancreas, actually, not gallbladder) by saying that inflammation makes it so the digestive enzymes activate inside the pancreas, instead of coming out as they should.
    Creeeeeeepy...! I'm a self-eating zombie...! Someone splash me with holy water!
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 02-28-2012 at 05:46 AM.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    All I know is that the gallbladder doesn't empty its bile on grains.
    Gallbladder responds to saturated fat.

When I was a kid I remember my belly and things under my rib cage making weird noises. Girgling, blubbery, cute and funny sounds together with a feeling of fresh mint and cleanliness (don't know how else to describe it).
    As a teenager and then adult these cute little digestive sounds completely vanished.
    It wasn't until I went primal that ALL of those sounds and bubbley feelings came back...together with that 'minty freshness'.

I'm guessing my glands have been awoken and are all doing a happy dance.
    After 2 years of eating primally I had a bile duct/gland test done and it all came back perfect. Nothing is blocked.
    It's too bad I have nothing to compare it to since I didn't have any blood work done prior to going primal.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My question is (and only out of curiosity, I am not trying to find a cure. I'm not trying to find a diagnosis. I know the cure, stop eating grains) why I only get pain (whether or not I still have gallstones/sludge) when I eat grains a few days in a row.
    So, from what I understand, after you eat grains, you body converts the protein. In unfortunate cases, your body has an inflammatory reaction to rid itself of these proteins, in very unfortunate cases, it mistakes some of the intestinal lining as enemy protein and attacks it, leading to "villus atrophy" or cropping off of the villi. This happens in the small intestine, which is responsible for producing CCK, the hormone that signals the gall bladder to contract and release bile. Then your gallbladder can't respond properly to fats.

Anyway - it may just take a little while (and repeated exposure) to ramp up the inflammatory reaction to where it causes enough small intestine damage to affect the gall bladder.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123