Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scientifically rational ideas why my gallbladder acts up when I ... page 2

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I haven't real clue but I would wager that inflammation is causing your gallbladder to swell and for the stones that are in there to get squeezed. If you can manage to NOT eat grains and live with it - great. Otherwise, you're having pain because you have gallstones, and it might just be better for you to have it removed. Have you had an ultrasound? Did they look at it at least? It's hard to tell for sure unless you have some facts to go on as far as what the current state of your gallbladder is.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Has your doctor investigated Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction?

Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenzington View Post
    I haven't real clue but I would wager that inflammation is causing your gallbladder to swell and for the stones that are in there to get squeezed. If you can manage to NOT eat grains and live with it - great. Otherwise, you're having pain because you have gallstones, and it might just be better for you to have it removed. Have you had an ultrasound? Did they look at it at least? It's hard to tell for sure unless you have some facts to go on as far as what the current state of your gallbladder is.
    I had 1 gallstone (1 cm I think?) and some sludge, and "infected/inflamed" gallbladder back in April, completely cured (no pain whatsoever) after one month of Paleo.
    No more attacks (unless I cheat for days in a row).
    You're crazy to think I will ever remove my gallbladder (no offense :P) Like I said I have no problems since April unless I cheat on grains for a few days in a row. I could drink a bacon grease smoothie everyday if I wanted to, with no attack.

Even if I had removed my gallbladder in April, I could still suffer from this pancreas thing now. Actually, removing the gallbladder seems to make it worse, from what I've read.

I do feel like I should have an ultrasound just so I can say "I'm cured" for good, but honestly I don't give a crap. I'd rather keep the money on my pocket. I know they will not give me any helpful hints, they didn't before. All they say is "Surgery". That's not helpful.

My question is (and only out of curiosity, I am not trying to find a cure. I'm not trying to find a diagnosis. I know the cure, stop eating grains) why I only get pain (whether or not I still have gallstones/sludge) when I eat grains a few days in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    WHY am I allergic to penicillin? Because my body views it as toxic and creates an immune response in an attempt to get rid of it. Why does my body have an immune response? Because I'm allergic. That's just the way it is. It's how I was born.
    I wasn't born with grain or milk intolerance, though. But I guess I also wasn't born with thyroid anti-bodies, and I did get them.

Your explanation makes sense.
    I can see how ingestion of some foods would make your body attack the pancreas in the same way that your body can attack your thyroid gland, or worse, your eyes.

Ouuuch...

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I read some about it, came across it while researching this earlier.
    I'm trying to understand how it relates to grains, but getting a headache trying to wrap my head around it it. I'll give it a good look later.

Off-topic:
    Reading more into this whole pancreas thing, I'm concerned that a lack of digestive enzymes will move on to other things (meat? eggs? fish? what nutrients will I not be able to absorb? what will it be next? I'm scared!), since I can't digest milk or grains anymore.

When I saw I couldn't digest milk anymore, I looked into enzymes. Seems like they could help me now, even if I become super strict about avoiding grains and dairy. I want to make sure I can absorb all nutrients in food.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Why are you even eating grains? You've read Mark's writings on the subject, right? Coupled with your intolerance, it seems you'd just stop eating them and let your gall bladder heal. Nevermind any explainations for its dysfunction.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Because I'm human.

I'm not looking for a cure or diagnosis, I'm just curious about why it happens.

Juliemama is offline Senior Member
    Hi! I can relate to your suffering, my GB was a painful mess for a few years before I went Paleo..I didn't even know what Paleo WAS back then, ha ha...Every woman in my family over the age of 30 has had it out, I was not going that route. I flushed my system with copious amounts of fats, no grains, or sugar or dairy, actually I didn't eat for a week...I swear something rolled out under my hand while I had it pressed to my GB area doubled over from the pain. Ultrasound before surgery showed my GB to be happy and empty, no surgery for me!
    During all my research, I had a few dietary mishaps, that gave me pain...junk..ie dunkin donuts munchkins someone (horrid person) brought to work killed me for DAYS!! Why? I eat tons of fat...One of the forums I was on (not here) for GB issues had addressed how upper small intestine pain/inflammation (duh, grains/gross frankenfats) can be in close enough proximity to mimic GB pain. The fact that Drs love to just yank it, no questions asked, should let you in to how profitable a surgery this is.
    Pancreas issues are very serious, so do look into it!
    I'm going to have to back to researching it again, my little bro (age 36) is having a tough time with gut pain right now, he thought it was GB, but tests came back neg, He has gone gluten free before and felt better, but he has got it all wrong, he's drinking gluten free beer and making gluten free bread...sigh. He is allergic to lots of stuff....
    Good luck, be careful and keep us posted...and, yeah, don't eat the grains..

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    The bodys reaction to things can also work on a scale. Like with being lactose intolerant, or allergic to things.

As a child I drank milk and digested it fine, as I grew older I stopped digesting it so well up to the point where it began to make me sick and I stopped consuming it. Like most people who are lactose intolerant I became that way progressively as I aged.

The same thing occurs with many allergies. A person can eat something like shellfish, it makes them fell very nauseous and spend a lot of time in the loo the first time. They figure it was just a "bug". Later they eat shellfish again and they develop a rash a vomit for a couple of days... at this point they have probably caught on. But maybe not. If they try to continue consuming the problem substance their face may swell and they may end up in the hospital in an emergency situation. After that, they had probably better carry an epi-pen around with them just in case they accidentally have a bit of crab in a stuffed mushroom.
    Each time the body comes into contact with an offensive substance it reacts a little more strongly. The same thing can and does happen with grains. The damage builds up, and the body tries to give you warnings.

I take lactaid VERY rarely in order to enjoy a bit of something dairy. Usually eggnog between T'giving and X-mas. Other than that I have NO trouble avoiding dairy. I find that I can eat greek yogurt (especially if I buy it and let it get tangier for a week or two before eating it) and harder aged cheeses in small doses (just for flavoring, not large pieces) without any problems. But I still don't eat them daily. Maybe 2x per week.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

So this thing, could also happen if I eat other things like... potatoes or tomatoes? Or an apple? (raw apple seems to upset me, cooked seems ok)
    I guess if the pancreas is burned out of its enzymes, then it could be anything.

So a little offtopic,
    if I take some enzymes, I could eat, say... ice cream?
    You might think this is silly, but I'm a little freaked out that I can't have any snacks. Not that I need to snack, I'm not hungry. If I were hungry, I could just eat a hard boiled egg, or bacon or something.

But I'm a bit freaked out that I can't have a snack easily available at stores, say, when spontaneously deciding to watch a movie with a friend at their house. Movies are nice, but movies and a nice snack are much better :-)

Even potato chips made me sick yesterday!

*shrug*

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    A good treat is a bowl of berries with heavy cream, either whipped or just poured over. Since berries aren't in season, I've been buying frozen blackberries and letting them thaw in a container in the fridge. They get a large pool of blackberry juice. I suppose if I wanted it sweeter I could put stevia on it or something, but I think they're great as is with a little cream.

As for the allergic reaction issue, if you perhaps do have some kind of reaction to grains, wouldn't the reaction be systemic in nature? And if it's systemic, then it would have the ability to cause a reaction in your gall bladder. When people allergic to bees are stung and their tongues swell up, it isn't because they were stung on their tongues. It's a systemic allergic reaction. It kind of sounds like your body has decided your gall bladder is a good outlet for reactions. Kinda like me and my skin. If I'm going to have some kind of reaction to something, it's going to come out on my skin.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    A good treat is a bowl of berries with heavy cream, either whipped or just poured over.
    Ah yes! I just posted that on my journal! Bought some frozen fruits today: apricots, blackberries, and strawberries.
    Milk upsets me too, so I think I will do whipped coconut milk instead. Cream and berries is such a treat, isn't it? <3
    As for the allergic reaction issue, if you perhaps do have some kind of reaction to grains, wouldn't the reaction be systemic in nature?
    Eek.. strange, didn't know grains could cause such a reaction. But honestly I think this could be that "limited pancreatic enzyme production" thing mentioned earlier, since this is happening with so many foods, and so suddenly... It seemed at first like it's just grains, but dairy, nuts, tomato, potatoes, and other things are causing trouble. I feel like a hypochondriac :P

Sihana:

Once the cows start being milked again, I'm definitely going to try raw milk again. I can hardly wait!
    I know I can fast while watching a movie, I'm not hungry at all. But I really like a snack (everyone does) when watching movies. Today I tried dried banana chips, which is something I can easily pick up while friends and I stop at a gas station or grocery store. I'll see how I react to those.

I'm not even sure what kind of snack I could bring from home, and I got a long list of snacks ^^ Banana chips are crunchy so if I don't get sick tonight, that's probably going to become my staple.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast