Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart Disease & PB page

BillVick is offline Junior Member

Heart Disease & PB

Primal Fuel
    I need advise including links or articles.

OK - I'm a convert. I have not had any Milk (a few bites of cheese) or Grains (Oatmeal in the AM a couple of times and Rice once or twice) for the last 5 weeks and am following the Lift Heavy/Super Slow weights lifestyle but... I'm having a meal by meal problem convincing my wife that just because I've had two heart stents and was on Crestor for cholesterol management (stopped it two weeks ago) I can have eggs + yolks daily along with nuts (Macadamias & Almonds) as snacks.

Does anybody have a few quick links I can show or articles talking about why cholesterol is not the heart killer it's cracked up to be and why eggs including yolks are actually good for you? Would really appreciate some feedback so my wife can rest easy and I can continue on with the program in a happy house.

CMHFFEMT is offline Member

GoLisaGo is offline Senior Member

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Go to Proteinpower.com/drmike/ Today the first post has a book recommendation written for doctors so it has lots of studies.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    For heart health, it seems wise to avoid daily nut consumption due to their inflammatory properties and high Omega-6 content. Not that you shouldn't eat them, they are a great source of many things! But in your state of heart disease, I'd recommend ditching them for the most part. I've relegated my nut consumption to once a week based on piles of articles and advice, but that's my own take. Do your own reading and decide for yourself whether or not nuts are safe. That said, look on Youtube for the Big Fat Fiasco series. Have her watch that! She'll be begging you for forgiveness.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    Show her the Track Your Plaque website. It's written by an MD cardiologist. Whether or not it's right or wrong I can't say, but the big MD and "cardiologist" are what finally managed to convince my dad to move over to a primal/paleo lifestyle to save his heart.

BillVick is offline Junior Member
    Thanks all for the comments, feedback and links. Off to do my research, etc.

Dig62 is offline Member
    Personally I think if you already have coronary heart disease, the game changes quite a bit. The effects of dietary fat and cholesterol on already clogged arteries may be quite different than their effects on healthy ones. I'd just be really careful about accepting advice from an internet forum in this matter.

Raine is offline Member
    I would try to discuss this with a paleo dr if you can find one. Otherwise maybe throw a question at Dr Davis on the track your plaque blog here: Track Your Plaque Heart Disease Prevention and Reversal Online

You do need to avoid ALL inflammatory foods as they will worsen your heart disease. I would be eating HEAPS of vegetables. Maybe take a look at Dr Terry Wahls version of the paleo diet, it has been designed for illness and is a healing/preventive diet (she had progressive MS). Terry Wahls MD | Defeating Progressive Multiple Sclerosis without Drugs | MS Recovery | Food As Medicine and her facebook page which she is personally on: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-W...50956531629073

Here are a few clinical studies:

Beneficial effects of a Paleolithic diet... [Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Metabolic and physiologic improvements from ... [Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.co...-7075-8-75.pdf

http://thepaleodiet.com/wp-content/u...1-Bastos-3.pdf
    Last edited by Raine; 01-16-2012 at 02:19 PM.

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalest View Post
    Show her the Track Your Plaque website. It's written by an MD cardiologist. Whether or not it's right or wrong I can't say, but the big MD and "cardiologist" are what finally managed to convince my dad to move over to a primal/paleo lifestyle to save his heart.
    I would second this- it's written by Dr. William Davis. He has extensive information showing that wheat, low D3 levels, hormone levels and sugar are some of the major causes of heart disease than the long standing view of cholesterol and fat leading to plaque build up.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast