Thread: PB and gout page

boomer453 is offline Junior Member

PB and gout

Primal Fuel
    i want to recommend the PB lifestyle to a friend who really needs to do something for his health but he suffers from occasional but fairly severe bouts of gout.
    Is there any evidence of PB either helping or hurting as regards to gout?

Thanks for any input.

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    Gout is linked to fructose consumption, so that's one thing to avoid - fructose in the form of fruit (apples, pears, figs, grapes, watermelon all have a lot of fructose, while citrus fruits for example have little) and high-fructose corn syrup in beverages. Avoidance of fructose is certainly a PB thing. PB should help him, but even if he is not inclined to go primal, he should avoid fructose.

boomer453 is offline Junior Member
    thanks

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    My husband has gout so we have done quite a bit of research on it. Gout is caused by high levels of uric acid which form crystals in the joints and cause inflammation, very painful. Most diet recommendations for dealing with it are low fat and suggest limiting red meat and animal fats, and other foods high in purine. That said, we basically follow a PB eating plan and have not found it to cause any flare ups. We focus on quality lean meat, mostly moose, chicken and fish, and tons of salad and veggies, and nuts if we want a snack. I would not suggest going for the all out "eat more fat", but it is definitely doable. The reduction in general inflammation from eliminating all grains alone is worth it.

The number one thing that we have found to cause flare ups is too much beer. Definitely need to keep it to a minimum. Getting healthy and losing weight will also help, as being overweight concentrates the levels of uric acid.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Interesting - when I went low carb about a decade ago, I got gout. BRUTAL pain in my big toe. It felt like a shard of glass was stuck in there. Not knowing what it was at the time, I actually went looking for the glass that wasn't there.

Fast forward to this earlier this year - I started eating Primal, which in effect was even lower carb than when I actually intended to minimize them before. But I never got even a hint of gout. Maybe just luck, maybe not. I don't really know, but it does make me wonder.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Korga is offline Member
    I have high Uric acid levels, and unfortunately after 4 months on the Primal diet I started to have increasing problems with both joint pain and kidney stones. I reverted back to my low-purine diet and the symptoms subsided. Today I still follow a mostly whole-foods diet rich in complex carbohydrates (loads of veggies) a bit of nuts and berries, and fish or chicken only 2x a week, no dairy or grains except some brown rice..
    here is a purine food chart for your reference:
    Purine table

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    Fructose and uric acid are obviously related - here's what Wikipedia has to say: Fructose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

billp is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Interesting - when I went low carb about a decade ago, I got gout. BRUTAL pain in my big toe. It felt like a shard of glass was stuck in there. Not knowing what it was at the time, I actually went looking for the glass that wasn't there.

Fast forward to this earlier this year - I started eating Primal, which in effect was even lower carb than when I actually intended to minimize them before. But I never got even a hint of gout. Maybe just luck, maybe not. I don't really know, but it does make me wonder.
    I used to get get gout occasionally. The first time I thought I had broken by foot. I was eating a lot of low-quality pork and drinking beer most days at the time. So I stopped eating any meat or drinking any alcohol and it slowly went away. Since then I'd get the odd twinge when I ate too much meat (i.e. pork) or drank beer or wine to frequently.

When I first started the primal eating thing last September I suddenly realised I was doing exactly what used to give me gout. I thought I had a little twinge after a few days, but then nothing. And it has never come back, at all. I am pretty sure that it was something I was eating before that was giving me it, as I still eat pork. Over Christmas-New Year I drank any amount of wine, and ate any amount of pork, beef and goose and had no hint of gout. It has gone. Some combination of not enough dietary fat with the pork, and too much fructose from nibbling on fruit whenever, along with a high-grain diet.