Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raw vs cooked vegies page

Blonde is offline Junior Member

Raw vs cooked vegies

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been primal for just on 2 weeks now - have stuck pretty well to the theory really (I think!!) and have even got my skeptic hubby on board (reading 21day body transformation as I type). I was a truly bad eater until I read Mark's book - constantly grazing on processed and high sugar foods, needing to constantly eat, I think it's only good genes that have saved me from becoming obese.

Anyway, I have taken the 60% fat/30% protein and 10% carbs thing (calories, not volume) on board seriously and am worried I might be 'overdoing' the fats. The vegies I eat most of are tomato (a fruit???), mushrooms, asparagus and eggplant and I generally always cook them in butter (going to make ghee this weekend though!) or occasionally olive oil. Is this bad, are they better for me if I steam/eat raw?? I sometimes let CW run away with my mind and have to get back into a "What would Grok do?" mind set. eg tonights dinner was lamb cutlets, fried eggs, tomato, eggplant and mushroom with sweet potato baked fries (sweet potato being a very occassional indulgence even before primal coz I can't be stuffed slicing them into fries). Also trying to eat more in the way of carrots, zucchini, etc and also more lettuce, salad-y type things, more avocado, onion, beetroot etc - it's a work in progress.

Additional info - I cook meat most (every really) nights/days, depending on my schedule I've been having one 'main meal' each day with another lighter meal, one being lunch-ish and the other being dinner. At the moment I am keen on 'lettuce wraps' (yesterday was proscuitto, semi dried tomatos, shallots, avocado and mozzarella with a smidge of olive oil, it was my main meal for the day) and omelette muffins (we're eating plenty of eggs!!). I drink lots of tea each day and have been having it with heavy cream instead of milk.

Does it sound like I'm overdoing the fats?? It's damn hard to let go of CW and accept that fats are ok, wonderful even, but I don't want to overdo it at the expense of something else I might miss from my diet??

Buoy1 is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't stress about it- just eat what you like and don't feel like you "have" to do it a certain way. I mostly steam my veggies because I prefer it- and I also think the nutrients are often more intact when you lightly steam. That being said, there are some preparations that I like better other ways- kale baked with avocado oil, for example, or collards in lard.

Just go with what feels good to you!

On a side note, though, don't forget that you don't want to be cooking with olive oil- not stable enough. For cooking, use animal fats (duck fat, lard, etc.) or coconut oil. I have coconut sensitivities, so when I need a different oil to cook with (other than animal) I often use avocado oil.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Don't stress about it, but start trying different cooking techniques and different vegetables. Get a simple metal 'umbrella' steamer attachement and you have a world of cabbages opening up. Mush that cauliflower in a blender with a bit of coconut milk, and here is your warm treat. Roast those eggplants instead of frying into yum chips. And, of course, try crunching on fresh cucumber, radish, or celery or carrot... it's divine. Or fresh-pickle the crunchiest veggies with a touch of vinegar and pickling salt and some herb.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Don't stress about it, but start trying different cooking techniques and different vegetables. Get a simple metal 'umbrella' steamer attachement and you have a world of cabbages opening up. Mush that cauliflower in a blender with a bit of coconut milk, and here is your warm treat. Roast those eggplants instead of frying into yum chips. And, of course, try crunching on fresh cucumber, radish, or celery or carrot... it's divine. Or fresh-pickle the crunchiest veggies with a touch of vinegar and pickling salt and some herb.
    Any ideas of the blended cauliflower w/out coconut or dairy? Sounds yummy, but I can't have either of those to thicken it up.

When i don't want to use coconut milk, I just add a splash of the broth in which cauliflower was cooking in, just enough to start the Magic Bullet on rotating - if it's not enough, I add a touch more. It's plenty thick. You could also try avocado, or, if fruits are an option a bit of a banana.

Ooh! Avocado... good call.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    The fats make the vitamins easier to use in your body. I think I read that in Protein Power or on Archevore.com.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buoy1 View Post
    Any ideas of the blended cauliflower w/out coconut or dairy? Sounds yummy, but I can't have either of those to thicken it up.
    I only add butter when I mash my cauliflower and consistancy is perfect. My father actually thought they were potatoes.

Note that I steam them well so they are pretty moist.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    I only add butter when I mash my cauliflower and consistancy is perfect. My father actually thought they were potatoes.

Note that I steam them well so they are pretty moist.
    Mm! I will try steaming, mashing and then adding some avo.

Yeah, I steam it also, btw. But even when I boil it, it is fine consistency. Hmm?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast