Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gluten Free products - Primal ?? page

geofftelforduk is offline Junior Member

Gluten Free products - Primal ??

Primal Fuel
    Folks!

Just wanted to check something.

Have noticed that there is a gluten free section in my local Tesco store. Are any of these considered primal? E.g. gluten free crackers for cheese, bread etc etc

Thanks
    Geoff

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I prefer not to, as it's highly processed.

geofftelforduk is offline Junior Member
    Yeah, fair enough!

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    If you have a read of the ingredients, you'll find that most of the gluten-free offerings are packed with sugars and vegetable oils, as well as corn and soya ... (and I shudder to think I used to feed them to my family). Best avoided if you can.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    I prefer not to, as it's highly processed.
    Yep same, plus its got a million other things in it I want to avoid.

Buteo is offline Member
    Check the other ingredients, you'll find they usually contain other grains and the usual amounts of salt & sugar and other nasties that other processed foods have.

We've just stopped eating crackers etc. It takes some getting used to so you could make your own in the meantime....Are you after something in particular?

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Whenever I scour those shelves, alas, it's all in vain. Soya seems to be in virtually all processed foods these days. And I'm very intolerant to buckwheat which is another common ingredient.

I'd eat plain white rice cakes from time to time as a convenience food, especially when on holiday, if I could source some. Don't really like them but they'd do as a safe source of starch.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I don't "paleo bake" and have no desire to start, but sometimes I just want a cookie or two and the gluten-free cookies are an OK stand-in. There's a brand of ginger cookie that I love and will pick up a box every few months to have a cookie with my tea at night for a few days. Not ideal, but better than a full-on gluten-laden cookie.

Making GF crackers, bread and other snacks a daily or regular staple of your diet is definitely not primal and you'd probably blow your "20%" quite quickly.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, primal/paleos can't fake grains any more than vegans can fake meat. Ya just gotta do without.
    After several months, I still feel odd staring at the empty spot on the plate, but I'm getting used to it.
    I guess you could fill in with thin potato skins, but only occasionally.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Tom Dunphy is offline Member
    "gluten-free" foods usually contain some form of starch from potato, tapioca or some other source. these starches actually spike your blood sugar more than gluten! avoid!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast