Thread: Food sources of vitamin K2? page

BrassyDel is offline Member

Food sources of vitamin K2?

Primal Fuel
    I did some forum searches on K2, and Google, but it seems like the main options are a supplement, natto, or cheese. I can't do the last two, but I doubt many Primals are eating fermented soy either, right? I'm also not sure how to tell if I'm deficient, though the internet tells me most Westerners are. I was really hoping for a food rather than a supplement.

Additionally, I'm more worried about proper supplementation for my toddler (weaned). I figure it's safer to just give her lots of good FOOD, though she does get vitamin D drops. She used to take a gummy multi vitamin, but she reacts poorly to it, similarly to her gluten sensitivity, but I can't find any obvious ingredient causing the problem!

I also take 10,000 IU vit D and Natural Calm for Mg, but I have trouble remembering the Natural Calm daily (derp!), and a prenatal multi most days.

docfitch is offline Junior Member
    Here's a little info from a 2008 post:

"Foods high in vitamin K2

Natto
    Hard cheese
    Soft cheese
    Egg yolk
    Butter
    Chicken liver
    Salami
    Chicken breast
    Ground beef
    Unfortunately, precise values for some foods that are likely to be high in K2 (such as organ meats) are not available at this time. The pancreas and salivary glands would be richest; reproductive organs, brains, cartilage and possibly kidneys would also be very rich; finally, bone would be richer than muscle meat. Fish eggs are also likely to be rich in K2.

It was once erroneously believed that intestinal bacteria are a major contributor to vitamin K status. However, the majority of evidence contradicts this view. Most of the vitamin K2 produced in the intestine are embedded within bacterial membranes and not available for absorption. Thus, intestinal production of K2 likely makes only a small contribution to vitamin K status. (Unden & Bongaerts, 1997, pp. 217-234)

On the other hand, fermented foods, however, such as sauerkraut, cheese and natto (a soy dish popular in Japan), contain substantial amounts of vitamin K2. Natto contains the highest concentration of K2 of any food measured; nearly all of it is present as MK-7, which research has shown to be a highly effective form. A recent study demonstrated that MK-7 increased the percentage of osteocalcin in humans three times more powerfully than did vitamin K1. (Schurgers & Vermeer, 2000, pp. 298-307)"

peril is offline Senior Member
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    egg yolks, butter, liver, or high-vitamin butter oil (I use Blue Ice Royal Blend of fermented cod liver oil and butter oil capsules).

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    As already mentioned: nattou. It's a super(delicious!!!!) food! I make my own as it's hard to track down in Denmark

Just get some organic soy beans, steam/boil them, add the culture spores (which you buy onlin), pack them in slightly, leave 24-48 hours in a damp, warm (~40deg C) place. The culture should come with an instruction manual (if it's in Japanese, find it online) - I suggest you follow that instead :P

BrassyDel is offline Member
    I can't tolerate soy, so no natto. I did read the Mark post while searching. I can tolerate eggs in moderation, and butter in very small quantities. No soy, no cheese. So I guess just liver for me? I eat liver or liverwurst about once a week, anyone know if that will be enough?

If I go the cod liver oil and butter oil capsule route, how do I determine dosage? It matters in ratio to other vitamins like D and A, right?

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I take the Blue Ice Royal as well. Dosage- as much as I can get down without vomiting it back up lol, which isn't much!
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman