Thread: Blood page

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I was reading an article that was all about the nutrition of bodybuilders in the 40's and 50's and it discussed how a lot of them would go to slaughterhouses and literally drink the fresh blood in an effort to get the nutrients and calories instead of drinking milk. Just wondering if anyone has tried this? Not gonna lie...I am getting kind of curious to eat all sorts of weird meats and animal food products.

My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Acmebike is offline Member

You can buy pork's blood at Asian grocers. I tried a tablespoon or three, but cooked it up into some "riced" cauliflower to make a "black pudding" of sorts. Pretty good stuff.

But have not drunk a significant amount of blood at any one sitting.

Jack Lalanne used to for a short while.

http://www.esquire.com/features/what...SQ0804-AUG_WIL

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I like my meat rare, and occasionally raw (if it's a good cut.)

I've fried up blood drippings from meat I've eaten. Kind of like scrambled eggs.

Of course there's our natural instinct to put your finger in your mouth when you cut it.

I don't see why not, if it's absolutely fresh. I've been meaning to get a bunch to make my own blood sausage. That stuff is SO yummy!

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member

Hmmmmm I am really gonna have to look into suppliers down here around my university. I really want to give raw meat a try, and if they offer blood I may give it a go.

Lately I have really wanted to just run around barefoot in a loin cloth and hunt....stupid school policies.

My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

maba is offline Senior Member

Back home in India, we'd get an entire goat and have it slaughtered and my grandma would cook all the parts over many days. That's when I got to taste all the offal meats. But blood was something my mum was not keen on us trying, so I never really got to try that. I've eaten it in the form of black pudding once and I really liked it.

The other day, when I was flipping channels, I saw Andrew Zimmerman doing a show with the Masaai tribe of Kenya, on Travel Channel. It was interesting to see how cattle blood formed such an integral part of their diet.

Tarlach is offline Member

Diana> The fluid in bits of meat is not blood. The blood is pretty much all drained out in the slaughter house.

What you see come out of your steak is the moisture from the muscles (water) and myoglobin (the protein that makes meat red). Thus the reason you get more of it after freezing meat (the juices form ice crystals which break open meat fibers).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myoglobin

Blood is full of coagulant and will thicken if not used on the day of slaughter. When cooked it should be more dense and go black/dark brown (the reason why black pudding is so dark).

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)