Thread: any former running fanatics here? page

Primal Fuel

Hello,

I would like to reduce the amount of running I do. I don't necessarily need to lose weight but would rather be more toned instead of "skinny fat."

Any former runners have any advice on lessening the amount of running and ditching the fear of fat way of eating? I'm hoping for female responses but will welcome men's, too.

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

Male marathoner/ultramarathoner here. Since I changed my diet and workout methods my jeans fit the same yet I weigh 15 lbs more. Definitely look less like a marathon runner and more like an athlete. Not sure how to ditch the fear, I'm not very good with touchy feely subjects My advice is to just do it and you'll be glad you did. My running has been reduced by 50% or more and my race times aren't slowing down. I still run 30 mpw but do a lot of high intensity interval and strength work now...it's done wonders for my overall fitness and physique. Best of luck and welcome!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Well I was never a marathoner, but I'm pretty proud to say I was averaging 35 mpw (which is pretty good for somebody who previously couldn't run for 30 seconds.)

I cut back on my running and upped my strength training, and I absolutely love it. I like to run still, but I it for play rather than to burn calories. I've discovered that when I want to go on a long run I can and not feel burned out even though I don't run long distances regularly.

It took me a little while to wrap my brain around going full PB (and ditching dairy.) I was terrified I'd gain back the weight I'd worked so hard to lose. So far so good though. I have more muscle and find that I'm able to do things (and lift things) that I never have before.

ChristinaP Guest

I am a recreational or social runner. I run three times a week for about 60 minutes, and when I can I like to run local 5ks and 10ks once or twice a month, in the summer I might run a race every other weekend. I mix up my runs with long slow distance four to six miles, increasing speed intervals of .25 miles and tempo or light runs with hills or increasing speed. I use treadmills, roads, trails, nothing too strict, just enjoying it. I have been running for over 15 years, and I can say from my experiences of all types of phases of my life and all types of “diets” I have followed that by far I have been running my best times and have had the best energy since cutting down the days I run, doing some weighted squats and lunges, and cleaning up my diet. I have cut all grains and sugars for my daily menu, even artificial sweetener (which was not as hard as I thought it was going to be).

It was difficult for me to begin to make the changes toward a PB lifestyle, especially the running…cutting down the running. I thought you HAD to run every day to get faster, I thought you HAD to eat bread and pasta for fuel. It may not make sense now, but I can tell you, from my personal experience, you don’t.

Start slow, see what works for you, and don’t give up. I hope you have the “light bulb” moment like I did; it is very much worth it. My weight fluctuated for a few weeks, I had a week of the transition “flu” (low energy, foggy head) now I am on track, eating healthy food, feeling great, and reaping all the additional benefits from the PB lifestyle.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

Used to run. Haven't since starting P90X though. Once I'm done with the program, I'll be re-evaluating my running approach and style. Can't give it much thought right now though because I don't have the time or energy to do both.

Jedi is offline Member

yep, was a marathon runner who lifted weights too. I went more or les cold turkey after my last marathon last november. Had been reading this site for a year and was convinced chronic cardio was bad. I basically focussed on weights, occasionally sprint now and WALK loads. When I feel like it I go for a 10km run in the hills, but its rare and have no more aches and injuries

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I still run. 30 minutes on the elliptical everyday before weight training and I run outdoors 2 to 3 days a week. This is down from the elliptical everyday and running outdoors 6 days a week. It's a hard habit to break, so I understand where you are coming from. And I hate running, I can't imagine breaking the habit if you actually enjoy it!

Like ChristinaP said, start slow. Maybe run less distance one day for a little less time. My lightbulb moment was my knees. I am 31 and had to see an ortho b/c I gave myself patellar tendonitis from the constant stress to my poor knees.