Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A study-Low carb reduces hunger BUT the conclusion isn't what you think. page

Dirlot is offline Senior Member

A study-Low carb reduces hunger BUT the conclusion isn't what you think.

Shop Now
    A write up on this study shows that it is not just calories in vs calories out.
    Two study groups on a calorie restricted weight loss diet same % of protein, fat and carbs. One group ate their carbs throughout the day the other only at night. Those that ate their carbs at night had the biggest weight loss.

The group who didn't eat carbs during the day were less hungry and less preoccupied with food. The conclusion wasn't eat less carbs rather eating them at night is not as bad as once thought - face palm.

I am cross posting this study in another thread because I also want to discuss the calories in vs calories out issue.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

GoLisaGo is offline Senior Member
    The conclusion wasn't eat less carbs rather eating them at night is not as bad as once thought - face palm.
    You mean like eating a piece of fruit for dessert? Whodathunk!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    *cough* *cough*

Is Late Night Eating Better for Fat Loss and Health? | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

The fact that this was written 6 months ago shows how high atop his game Martin is.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    This is interesting, as my experience concurs with the results of this study.

I eat a very low carb breakfast, <10 g, 50 g of carbs for lunch and 100 - 130 g of carbs in my evening meal (which is post-workout at least 4 nights a week).

Total calories ~2500 a day.

I've found this is the ideal pattern for me, and seems to be optimal for maximising my energy levels, metabolic rate, and optimising sleep. No hunger outside meals at all. I am very active so I'm not planning to lower my carbs much unless I feel I need to.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You mean being unconscious while your body is dealing with the carbs and insulin/blood sugar cycle is easier to manage than being awake and surrounded by office pastries?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah- I wonder how restricted the calories were? Like were they in a lab or out in real life? Very easy for a carb addict to eat carbs and not have it register as something you ate in a food journal or whatnot.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm and just think what the average american has for breakfast

Orange juice/ w/toast haha or a donut/bagel/pastry. Standard american breakfast is more carb loaded than any other meal.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    Hmmm and just think what the average american has for breakfast

Orange juice/ w/toast haha or a donut/bagel/pastry. Standard american breakfast is more carb loaded than any other meal.
    You left out my old faves--pancakes, waffles, syrup, and hashbrowns! Or, poptarts and cap-n-crunch...

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You mean being unconscious while your body is dealing with the carbs and insulin/blood sugar cycle is easier to manage than being awake and surrounded by office pastries?
    Yes, I guess so. This means that the glycogen stores in my muscles are topped back up mostly while I'm sleeping. I think this assists muscle repair post-workout, and can help me gain muscle. I know that fat and protein are important for building muscle, so I don't skimp on those in my evening meal.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-16-2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: added quote for reference
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I find that I feel better when I eat meat and eggs only for lunch and save veggies and tubers for supper (and after big workouts). Carbs induce grazing... I always imagine myself turning into a cow...
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast