Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weighted vest for walking page

War{^@^} is offline Junior Member

Weighted vest for walking

Primal Fuel
    I recently purchased a weighed vest(20lbs). I wanted to increase my heart rate without going into "jogging" mode. I generally walk about an hour a day(everyday) and I am having trouble keeping my heart rate above 55% of my max(I have a short stride). I only have 8 lbs in the vest right now and it has indeed increased my rate to around 60-65% My question is..... Should I wear the vest everyday, or should I only wear it a few days a week?

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    The things that increase heart rate when walking. Load(you are doing this). Speed, Eventually this breaks into a trotting gate and then a running gate. Or hills.
    If addinng 20#'s increases your heart rate enough and it causes no other issues (joint pain sore feet) then I would go for it.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I guess if the PB is about anything, it's about turning normally enjoyable and low-impact casual activities into ways of punishing one's body.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

ciep is offline Senior Member
    War, do what you want for exercise, if you like walking around town carrying weight on your back then more power to ya. But can I just ask, why a weight vest? Those things tend to be really expensive. You could just wear a backpack and put heavy stuff in it.

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    I guess if the PB is about anything, it's about turning normally enjoyable and low-impact casual activities into ways of punishing one's body.
    I get that for sure. I personally wish I didn't know about my pulse rate on a nice walk in fresh air and sunshine. BUt knowing it and knowing that my heart rarely beats more than 80 beats a minute on a "casual walk" I understand the desire to push it to 55% .

SO what is better to get? 5 hours a week that may not be at the optimal minimum effort? or just 1-2 hours at the optimal rate? Should we not sweat that our favorite "Moving slow" activity is no longer working the pump? Open ended question to go along with the OP's
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    I like taking hikes with mine.

I'll load 25-35# and go for a 3-5 mile hilly hike at the park by my apartment. Wears me out pretty good sometimes. Then I think, damn, I used to be carrying this much extra weight around all the damned time...

War{^@^} is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    War, do what you want for exercise, if you like walking around town carrying weight on your back then more power to ya. But can I just ask, why a weight vest? Those things tend to be really expensive. You could just wear a backpack and put heavy stuff in it.
    I live out in the desert(dodging rattlesnakes, scorpions & coyotes) and I just thought a weighted vest would suit my needs better. The brush out here tends to grab everything that walks by and the jumping cholla cactus can sneek up on you too. We will see if the vest was the right choice when the 115 degree temps kick in. But you are right, a backpack would have been cheaper. lol

"Thanks" to everyone that replied.
    cactus-man-1..jpg

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to be trying to take a hike or a long walk with mine once a week. I'm not sure if doing anything more than that is necessary or helpful.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Can't you walk faster? If you are trying to raise your heartrate more, try more of what people used to call "power walking" or "speed walking". You start pushing 4-4.5 miles per hour and you'll feel it.

sucram is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    Backpacks put all the wieght on your back for one thing...which is bad. Weight vests distribute the weight evenly over your torso and don't extend out too far so I would imagine they would put a lot less strain on your joints and spine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast