Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: All Meat Diet- Long Term Effects? page 3

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    The reason I ask is because I was surfing the "Zeroing in on Health" forum, and it seems very heavily moderated, so I couldn't tell if anyone was having any negative experiences with ZC.
    If you go to the vegan forums, you will find plenty of people singing its praises. Don't buy into any of these extremes IMO.

Carbs are not unhealthy. Individual food choices are unhealthy. People aren't damaging their metabolisms eating sweet potatoes, bananas and white rice. They are damaging their metabolisms eating wheat, sugar and soybean oil. Just because wheat is evil doesn't mean carbohydrate is evil. Imagine if I said fat is evil because soybean oil is evil! Don't demonize a whole macronutrient. Take a balanced approach, and just make sure your carbohydrate intake matches your activity level. THAT is key to long-term success.

I'd have a lot more body fat than I do now if I were still carb-phobic. Ask me how I know and I'll show you.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    If you go to the vegan forums, you will find plenty of people singing its praises. Don't buy into any of these extremes IMO.

Carbs are not unhealthy. Individual food choices are unhealthy. People aren't damaging their metabolisms eating sweet potatoes, bananas and white rice. They are damaging their metabolisms eating wheat, sugar and soybean oil. Just because wheat is evil doesn't mean carbohydrate is evil. Imagine if I said fat is evil because soybean oil is evil! Don't demonize a whole macronutrient. Take a balanced approach, and just make sure your carbohydrate intake matches your activity level. THAT is key to long-term success.

I'd have a lot more body fat than I do now if I were still carb-phobic. Ask me how I know and I'll show you.
    Choco, my point is that I already know all of this. I am not going to become a zero-carber (I am already VLC). My initial post was asking for personal experience with long-term zero-carb diet, because I was not seeing any negative feedback on one particular blog (I did then come across some and I posted it here). I am simply curious about personal experiences, i.e. "On zero-carb did you experience gout or scurvy?"

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    Choco, my point is that I already know all of this. I am not going to become a zero-carber (I am already VLC). My initial post was asking for personal experience with long-term zero-carb diet, because I was not seeing any negative feedback on one particular blog (I did then come across some and I posted it here). I am simply curious about personal experiences, i.e. "On zero-carb did you experience gout or scurvy?"
    I did a ketogenic diet for 7 weeks. That is essentially a zero carb diet (in reality it's 20g or under). I had two cups of cooked green vegetables a day maximum. The rest was meat with a small allowance for cheese.

Energy levels after the initial few days were fine.

I lost some body fat.

I didn't really get any stronger, despite an increased workout. Ketogenic diets are notorious for muscle loss.

My breath was terrible from the ketones. I would have to chew artificial gum all the time. There were many complaints. I've never had breath issues before.

Food choices sucked. It was the most boring meal plan of my life.

There was a noticeable decrease on the ability to perform cardiovascular exercise.

I suffered no health issues.

I would not do it again. It's too boring from a food perspective, it's too muscle-wasting, the bad breath and urine that reeked of ammonia was unpleasant, it impacted my performance too much and fat loss was less than impressive. I have seen far better fat loss embracing more carbohydrate (i.e. NOT any form of VLC and I'm adamantly against it for the average person that doesn't have metabolic syndrome), my menu is much more exciting, I don't suffer any of the keto odor issues...I just don't see there ever being a point to go zero-carb. I've done it, it sucked and there are no benefits of doing it, only negatives. I believe ketosis is just a survival mechanism. You can do it, it's better than the SAD by an order of magnitude, but it is unnecessary and definitely not optimal. We produce amylase in our saliva for a reason - we are genetically engineered to eat starch. Yes, starch. Starch is better for you than fibrous vegetables. MUCH better.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

hugaw1 is offline Junior Member
    It is possible, but I don't think it would be that healty, because a balanced diet would require carbs and Vitamins & Minerals to go on with a healthy lifestyle. Just my 2 cents.
    Cottage Cheese Diet that will turn your flabs into abz

paleo pika is offline Member
    I don't have personal experience with zero carb (just VLC for about 4 months) but I was just reading in Good Calories, Bad Calories (Taubes) about an extensive study performed on two men who ate nothing but meat for a year without ill effects.

As long as the meat has adequate fat content your body would not need to convert protein into a main fuel source.

Additionally, in response to vitamin deficiencies, Taubes mentions that though it is not a proven hypothesis, on an all-meat diet one would not experience them for two reasons. The first is that meat has almost all of the amino acids and vitamins we need and the second reason is that he states some types of carbohydrates can actually increase your need for certain vitamins as well as compete with vitamins for uptake (vitamin C being his main example). So on an all-meat diet you theoretically do not need as much by volume as you would on a diet including wheat, for example. I don't really know how fine this line is, I'd imagine if you eat VLC you're already experiencing this to some extent.

There's my two cents.

Big Jim is offline Senior Member
    Study on two adult men eating nothing but animal food for one year with no ill effects, after eat VLC with the Inuit for ten years, also with no problems:

Two Brave Men Who Ate Nothing But Meat for an Entire Year

onalark is offline Senior Member
    The other reason to go meat-only would be if you have severe (I mean, severe, doctors are telling you to get your digestive tract resectioned) intestinal issues. A diet of meat and bone broth could help someone like that, assuming they could live with the boredom.

If you're also eating offal, you should have your micros down.

activia is offline Senior Member
    I have heard a lot of people have thyroid issues on VLC diets. Also even the inuit were supplementing with thyroid in order to conceive children. So they were not very fertile without it. I think its far from optimal...and for some people clearly unhealthy. I have heard people also get lethargic (including myself), and have hair loss. I perform and feel much better on a more moderate carb diet 100-150g.

There are some cases I would use it for a therapeutic perspective to heal.. Either to heal the gut (with bone broths/organ meats) or to stop/reverse cancer growth.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Interesting. I have sort of naturally gravitated toward a diet similar to what is listed here. The Carnivore’s Dilemma – A Diet of Just Meats and Fats? | The Primal Parent The biggest difference is I eat vegetables at dinner time and sometimes fruit or rice. I feel good eating this way. I totally get that whole Vulcan thing. For me that is a godsend as I have always had a tendency to flip out, almost to the point of losing jobs, not quite, but almost. It's nice to feel so even-keeled and actually cheerful and happy.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123