Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal- Juniperarrow page

Juniperarrow is offline Member

Primal Journal- Juniperarrow

Primal Fuel
    To anyone who may be reading this, Hello^^

I'm a 20 years old girl from Wisconsin, USA. I started my primal journey in November and thought it would be a good idea to journal my experiences with it. I do not really need to lose weight however I would like to get stronger then I'm now and if I could get my bodyfat percentage just a tad lower that would be nice (I don't know what it is now but based on pictures of what various BF percentages look like I'm guessing I'm around 23%). I also struggle with mild anxiety and maybe a little very mild depression sometimes (I think). I'm also a competitive gymnast and am interested on how my diet and lifestyle changes will affect my training.

Since Becoming Primal in November here's what changed:
    I have more energy.
    My energy levels are more even.
    My skin is clearer, teeth whiter with less effort
    I already looked young for my age but now I look even younger.

Last winter I kept getting horrible flareups of very itchy chilblains. This winter has been mostly mild but even so there is a great reduction in the number of chilblains and severity of them now. For the most part they are no longer itchy, just slightly swollen. My normally cold hands are now warm most of the time.

I don't know if I have less anxiety but the nature of it has changed. I used to worry about getting injured all the time while doing gymnastics; now I just do it with my moments of anxiety about that being reduced to a way more reasonable level. I also used to worry about dying all the time but now I don't think about it that much.

I think I'm getting stronger faster in gymnastics. Extremely hard to tell though as I injured my ankle in June and then did not really do any gymnastics from August till early November. However it feels like ever since implementing the ideals and body-weight exercises outlined in the primal fitness book two weeks ago that I am getting stronger faster and recovering faster.

This might just be me but I'm currently learning two languages (Japanese and Chinese) and I swear it feels like I have been picking it up faster since being primal despite not spending as much time in those languages.

The only complaint I how about being primal is that for the last few weeks I have been having some minor sleep issues. Basically I wake up in the middle of the night but fall asleep again like one minute later.

chelle06 is offline Member
    It sounds like you have had a great experience with PB!

Today so far:

Breakfast: Normally Don't Eat Breakfast

Lunch:
    Ground Pork, Burdock Root and Cilantro sauteed in coconut oil then after
    taking it off the heat mixed it with some homemade kimchi.
    Also had a side of brussel sprouts sauteed in bacon grease
    and snacked on squash seeds while waiting for lunch to cook.

Week Three of working through the Primal Fitness Progressions~ I'm currently on:

Pushups- Step 3: Incline Pushups, Did 14 (+10 Knee Pushups)
    Pull Ups- Step 1: 2 Legs Assisted Pullup, Did 10 total (5 per cycle)...
    (First time doing the pullups part of the essential moments;
    was happy just to be able to do some pullups as I cant do a regular one at all)
    Overheard Press-Step 2: Regular Jack Knife, Did 15 first cycle...5 second cycle
    Plank-Step 3: Hand & Feet Plank, Did 60 secs forward, 35 sec on left side and 18 secs on right side for first cycle...
    Did a lot less on the 2nd cycle
    Squats-Step 6: Bulgarian Squats, Did 25 on my left side, 18 on my right...second cycle I did 4 on both legs

Was less sore afterward compared to last time.
    But still felt a bit shaky which cleared up after eating.

Dinner:
    Bowl of pork-steak stew leftovers, some spoonfuls of leftover lunch and a spoonful of coconut oil.

Debated whether I wanted to skip dinner as I was getting tired (past 10pm here)
    and I was more tired than hungry but I chose to eat since I wanted some more protein in me.

I'm still wrapping my head around how little I eat in general now. It still feels weird.

>chelle06 So far it seems so! Though most of the changes are not major or anything. Thanks for commenting

chelle06 is offline Member
    More energy is always a bit plus in my book!!!! I have never hears of chilblains. I am also in WI! Hasn't our winter been pretty nice so far?

Well for me during the winter, random fingers on my hands (usually pointer though) will get all swollen and red and really really itchy.
    They take like a week to go away completely-very annoying to deal with and only occurs in cold winter weather. According to Wikipedia, they match the symptoms for chilblains but I dont know for sure if that is what they are or not.

Where in WI are you? Winter was awesome till the snow a few days ago xD I like snow but not the cold.

Didnt sleep as well last night. Work up a few times and few back asleep right away.

Woke up in the morning with teeth clenched and mildy anxious about nothing.

Lunch:
    The last of the pork leftover and kimchi. Yum!

Had a snack around 5pm of a few almonds with butter and some spoonfuls of coconut oil with a touch of honey.
    I was starting to feel tired and mental fogginess so I figured I was getting low on calories and had a snack.
    (Though at the moment I dont really feel any better...)
    I wasn't hungry but I'm starting to recognize when I don't eat enough food cuz I get full too quickly.
    I'm also starting to suspect that I do better when eat a bit more carbs.

I think I will eat dinner earlier and go to bed earlier tonight... but we'll see...

Had two scrambled eggs on top of pieces of beef liver and some cooked carrots and turnips with butter for dinner.

The snack didn't make me feel better but the dinner did. I'm suspecting I needed some carbs hence my mental fogginess feeling.

Since I felt better I ended up finding something to do online and only went to bed one hour early.

Woke up in the middle of the night all worried about whether I put something in the fridge, knowing I put it in the fridge and it was fine but still I had to check. Thanks to that I was up for about an hour lying in bed daydreaming. Not a huge deal as I have no job or anything to be up by a certain time for but still a little annoying. Been feeling more anxious for no reason lately.
    Last edited by Juniperarrow; 01-18-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Yesterday's Lunch:
    Had the remainder of the scrambled eggs from the day before.
    Also cooked cinnamon parsnips and ate like half the batch with extra butter. So yummy.

Felt great for the rest of the day...more evidence mounting toward doing better with some carbs vs very little carbs.
    Not totally surprising as even on SAD I didnt have very many (major) sugar crashes or anything till an year ago or so.
    And that was only when I had nothing but sugar and carbs.

Didn't eat dinner, was too tired and not hungry.

Slept great last night...would have not woken up if I didn't pull the cord out
    of my electric blanket while I was sleeping, turning it off and making me freezing cold.
    (I live in a cold old farmhouse).
    Or if the dog didn't start barking at something at 7 in the morn.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast