Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moderation page

ecdemastus is offline Junior Member

Moderation

Primal Fuel
    What is the guideline? Almonds, tubers, cheese does that mean you can have a daily serving? Or is it once a week or what. We have searched the book and can't really find guidance on moderation.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    So much depends on your goals and your tolerances to those types of foods.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Tubers, great!
    Cheese, great if you tolerate dairy!
    Almonds, like any other nut, should be eaten sparingly whether you're trying to lose weight or not due to the high PUFA content and fat:carb ratio.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    If you follow Mark's 80:20 rule, that means that up to 20% of your calories can come foods that are not strictly primal.

However, if you use up your whole 20% on wholegrain products and sugar, you're likely to fail. Best to use it for dairy, nuts, white rice, tapioca starch, tubers, wine.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    If you follow Mark's 80:20 rule, that means that up to 20% of your calories can come foods that are not strictly primal.
    The 80:20 rule is not this at all. It is about striving to live 100% primal but accepting that you won't always achieve that. Also remember that primal is much more than diet and the 80:20 rule applies to the whole lifestyle.

I agree with GC - I'm have tubers/rice and cheese on a daily basis. The tubers/rice to get my carbs because I eat very little fruit and have no carb cheats and the cheese to ensure I get plenty of Vitamin K2 (am trying to reverse CVD)
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    The 80:20 rule is not this at all. It is about striving to live 100% primal but accepting that you won't always achieve that. Also remember that primal is much more than diet and the 80:20 rule applies to the whole lifestyle.

I agree with GC - I'm have tubers/rice and cheese on a daily basis. The tubers/rice to get my carbs because I eat very little fruit and have no carb cheats and the cheese to ensure I get plenty of Vitamin K2 (am trying to reverse CVD)
    Beat me to it
    Way too many folks use the 20% as a get out clause to eat crap.It also doesn't just apply to diet, what you eat is one part of the PB lifestyle, but the way I see it the 80/20 rule applies across all aspects. I used up my 20% this week by being a dumbass and getting sunburnt yesterday.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    A "guide to moderation" - nope, I don't think there is one. As others have said - tubers and rice are really not "bad" for you if your metabolism is healthy, and cheese is inflammatory and insulenogenic, but so delicious. Nuts are probably eaten too much by paleo-type eaters. They are not actually very good for you. Depends on your goals and how seriously you choose to take this whole thing. There are all kinds of degrees of compliance among us folk.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    The best advice I can give is to know why certain things may be bad for you, and eat as many of them as you want as long as you still achieve your goals. It's a very personal thing. Some can't have any dairy, some eat tons of fruit.
    If you know that nuts have phytates and too many polyunsaturated fatty acids and you know what these things do in your body, you can make an informed decision on how much you want to ingest.
    Another thing is to imagine how much you'd be able to find in nature. That's a big deal. A 2 pound bag of shelled nuts is really easy to eat; are there going to be 2 pounds of shelled nuts in nature?

Unnatural things are entirely up to you. Try elimination, then add it back to see if you notice a change. Again, know what it does/might do to your body and make an informed decision. Just don't fall into the orthorexia that many of us do. Your body is resilient and can handle many things. Just because a food has a little bit of something that in high doses might cause tumors in rats doesn't mean that food is bad for you. Worrying about all your food is bad for you.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    It totally depends on the individual - how sensitive they are to certain foods, how messed up their system is, how much they need to change and how committed they are willing to be.

I can eat cheese with no difficulties, but others have problems with it. I still buy regular meat while others will only eat grass fed/finished. It just depends. Do at least as much as will keep you as healthy as possible, but not so much that you can't keep it going.

ETA: Agree that the 80/20 rule is more about forgiving yourself for not being perfect, and not so much about trying to add in 20% crap.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    I love Macadamia nuts and my understanding is that they are the best ones for us. Am I wrong?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast