Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I donated blood and they told me my total cholesterol was 161. page

juneeci is offline Junior Member

I donated blood and they told me my total cholesterol was 161.

Shop Now
    They didn't give me any more numbers than that, but I'm aware that there are different kinds of cholesterol. Can you tell your cholesterol health by just one number?
    What does this mean?

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    Doesn't mean anything except for your TC is 161.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Your total cholesterol is within normal limits for most tests. But total cholesterol is not a very useful number to have. If you are worried about cholesterol levels then get the full lipid panel done.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Unless you've been fasting for 12 hours, the cholesterol number they give you when you donate blood is not very accurate. My endo does a lipid panel every 4 months, and I've noticed that the number I get when I donate blood (which I do regularly) is usually higher.

Your total isn't 'high,' but as has been advised, if you're concerned, get a true lipid panel done.

nutritionistwannabe is offline Junior Member
    I've never gotten a cholesterol level after donating blood - is this something new? Where did you donate? Just curious. And I think it's great you did that. Reminds me that I need to get in and donate soon.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    They do that when I donate blood too (United Blood Services) and I never really thought much of it. I try really hard not to take medical advice from people that urge me to eat cookies.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

nutritionistwannabe is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    They do that when I donate blood too (United Blood Services) and I never really thought much of it. I try really hard not to take medical advice from people that urge me to eat cookies.
    Ha!

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, United Blood Services has started giving you your total cholesterol number for free. I noticed it last year but I hadn't donated in a while, so maybe they've been doing it longer. I think they're trying to get more people to come in and donate blood, because it makes it appear to be kind of like a health checkup at the same time. Too bad total cholesterol means nothing. It would be sick if they'd actually break it down into HDL/LDL and triglycerides.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    I donate blood like clockwork every 8 weeks, and every time they send me a letter saying thanks for the donation, my blood type, and total cholesterol. I realize it's not accurate but most of the time it's been consistent in the 160s, this time, however, it was 205. That worries me a bit as I'm only 32 years old and hopefully it's not really that bad! The donation date was 2/15/2012. I had a lipid panel done on 1/17/2012 and showed:
    Total: 177
    HDL: 41
    Trig: 121
    LDL: 112

I'm hoping it didn't skyrocket 30 points in a month!
    -Chuck

activia is offline Senior Member
    you want your Total/HDL to be 3 or 4 and total usually under 270. If its higher then this you want a full thryoid panel including t4/t3 and I'd test your iodine (but this isnt you). You want your triglycerides <100..
    Watch these podcasts.. Start with part 1 tho as it appears you are new to this:

http://chriskresser.com/chris-master...disease-part-3

http://chriskresser.com/low-choleste...death-in-women
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast