Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal - Johnny767 page

johnny767 is offline Member

Primal Challenge Journal - Johnny767

Shop Now
    In 2010, I read the Primal blueprint and was born again. I stuck at it for 6 months or so, and the transformation was amazing; not just physically , but in terms of general well being and health.

Picture November 2010

With a change of job and country, I got derailed and have got backwards ever since. At the back of my mind, I knew that it would be 2012 that would make the difference – it would be the start of the new way of living the rest of my life.

Picture 8 January 2012

Height; 6 feet I inch
    Weight; 227 lbs (103 Kg)

Goals:

Goals for the next five weeks:

Back into 36 inch jeans
    No; sugar, grains, legumes, dairy, bread, soy, coffee and eggs (long story) or alcohol
    60 push-ups (only managed 12 today)
    Carbs average less than 50 grams per day

By the end of the year; 34 inch jeans , 200pounds (91Kg) and a six-pack!

During 2012, I want to get as close as I can, to being the person that I can be. I want to get into the best physical shape of my life; to push the boundaries and really engage with life.
    Last edited by johnny767; 01-15-2012 at 08:43 AM.

I am really pleased with my progress so far. So a quick update after just over 4 weeks.

I am almost back into 36 inch jeans - see pictures below

No; sugar, grains, legumes, dairy, bread, soy, coffee and eggs (long story) or alcohol - despite business trips where all that is offered is sandwiches.

Average calories: 1,918

Average carbs: 32.6 grams per day – 6% of diet

Protein 53% of diet, Fat 41 %

My health has improved and energy levels and I am losing fat quite rapidly.

I have no weighing scales here; the following pictures show the weekly change as I attempt to get back into my 36 jeans. Each week I fastened to the highest button that I could:

After 1 week

After two weeks

After 3 weeks

After 4 weeks (today)

And another shot from today:

4 weeks on from this:

The picture below was taken last Sunday. It shows reasonable progress since January Ė but it is too flattering as I am holding my stomach in! I went off the rails for a few weeks following a vacation in March

Iím really determined to get into shape. I am setting myself a 45 day target (which is essentially the Whole30): No; sugar (or sweeteners), bread, coffee, soy, grains, legumes, potatoes, processed food, dairy, eggs. I will keep carbohydrates at less than 50 grams per day, and keep cholesterol as low as I can.
    My cholesterol is high and been rising steadily. I have a blood test in six weeks and want to see if changing my eating habits (so no eggs and reduced red meat) changes my cholesterol levels

Iím 6í 1Ē and currently 95 Kg (210lbs). I donít care about losing weight: I just want to lose the fat.
    I am on another health related website (alcohol related) when I posted in a health thread about my 45 day target, I got the following response. I would really like to know if the points raised are valid.

One comment: Cutting out all the foods you mention will make it VERY difficult to get enough fiber. Fiber is crucial to fat-loss because fat is excreted emulsified with bile acids and bound by soluble fiber. The liver then pulls cholesterol from the blood to produce new bile. It is a win-win!

Unfortunately being an incredibly efficient system, the body will reabsorb any emulsified bile acids that aren't bound by fiber in the small intestine and recycle them through the portal vein into the liver. The liver will separate the fat from the bile acids, storing the fat against future famine and returning the bile to the gall bladder. That means the fat isn't eliminated and the liver won't pull cholesterol from the blood to produce replacement bile -- all because there wasn't enough soluble fiber to bind it.

Here's the rub. Fiber is a form of carbohydrate. Men need 35gms of fiber, at least 1/3 of that soluble fiber, every day. Wheat bran is insoluble fiber. Soluble fibers turn to gel when mixed with water. (Think Metamucil.) In the Atkins Diet they count "net carbs" which are total carbs minus carbs from fiber. In other words, fiber is free. The easiest way to limit carbs while making sure to get your minimum daily fiber is to take a fiber supplement. I don't think you could eat enough salad to get 35gms fiber per day.

Psyllium husks are a good source of soluble fiber without other carbs unless it is sweetened. 2 Tbsp psyllium contains 9gms fiber. But if you start supplementing fiber, start out slowly! The gut doesn't like sudden changes and responds by bloating and producing large amounts of gas. Start with 1tsp in a glass of water before each meal and work up to 1Tbsp before each meal, then 2 Tbsp. That gives you a baseline of 27 grams of fiber. You should get at least 8gms of fiber from salads and other above-ground vegetables. Studies indicate that primitive man ate up to 100gms fiber per day, so getting more than 35 gms isn't a problem. Final point -- make sure to drink plenty of water with the fiber, so it gels in the gut and is in the proper form to bind the emulsified fat and bile acids.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Not knowing what you posted as to what you are eating, makes it trickier, but if you are getting the vegetables and fruit that primal/paleo recommends, you should have no problems. There's plenty of fiber there. Under the nutrition heading, there are several good threads on fiber-good and bad. Psyllium husks are completely unnecessary.
    I have no information about the bile situation described, but take a look at your stool. If it looks appropriate, don't worry. If it doesn't, eat more vegetables(not ground up husks) and drink more water until you are happy with the situation.
    From your pictures, seems like the fat is coming off fine, so your bile must be behaving appropriately.
    As an aside, I find it very amusing that they mention 'primitive man' eating up to 100 grams of fiber, but then recommend using psyllium husks as your base. I'm pretty sure primitive man wasn't wasting his time with husks unless times were pretty bad! Eat what he really ate, and you'll be fine!
    Last edited by Sabine; 05-09-2012 at 07:28 AM.

Sabine – thank you for putting my mind to rest. I’ll check out the threads on fiber.

I eat lots of steamed vegetables, salads and some fruit (I’m trying to keep carbs below 50 grams for 45 days). I drink lots of water when I’m on high protein: I just drink when I feel the need rather than try to drink a given volume

I have been quite pleased with progress so far this year. I have stuck pretty well to pb; and got back to the gym again. I went on vacation for 3 weeks and I went off the rails a fair bit; and have really struggled in the 3 weeks since I got back. The two pictures were taken last Sunday: tomorrow I get back on track.

From this in January:

To this:

January to December 2012; work in progress!

I think that I have got to the gym about 25 times all year; I try to make it count when I get there

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    It is amazing! You look a good 15 - 20 years younger now!

My husband looked at your before/after, and his opinion is that you went from looking like late 50s, to now early 40s! Plus, you look happier & healthier.

Keep up the good work!

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad someone else said it. I was feeling like a stalker. Have flipped to this page several times this morning. You look great! Mmm, mmm, mmm.

Smile

Hi Raevyn and Sabine

Thanks for stopping by and for you kind words of encouragement Ė I live alone, so it feels really good to get some positive feedback

The Ď beforeí pictures were taken on my return to Norway in January 2012 having spent two weeks over Christmas and New Year in England. The weather had been awful the entire time I was there. I spent two weeks eating all the wrong stuff (lots of grains/carbs and chocolate) it was as if I was trying to kick-start myself into action. I think I was also coming off some sleeping meds at that time Ė so I think I managed to look worse in that period than I had for a long time.. I am still taken aback when I see those pics ( I was tempted to post nicer before pics from around March!)

I promised myself in Januray that during 2012 I would to try to get myself as close as I could, to being the person that I can be. For the first three months I photographed my progress every week. Over recent months Iíve tried to get to the gym at least once a week. For most of the year I have kept carbs below 100 grams a day (and several periods below 50 grams a day). Iíve also cheated a bit; had my teeth whitened and used the sun-bed/solarium at the gym

Oh, I turned 52 a month ago.

Thanks again; you made my week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast