Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How isn't this clogging up our arteries? page

fatboy is offline Junior Member

Exclamation How isn't this clogging up our arteries?

Shop Now
    Hi all

I'm a new primalist

I just have a real concern with the number of eggs as well as bacon and general fat that we are now eating. Though we are losing weight, that doesn't necessarily mean we are healthier - plenty of skinny people drop dead from heart attacks due to clogged up arteries and high cholestorol.

I am not trying to be critical cause I don't know enough about it to comment yet, but am a little bit concerned as to the long term affects of this high fat diet, so was just wondering of anyone who's more educated on the subject could please fill me in

Thanks very much hope you're having a great day

Fatboy (Percy King)

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Please watch this series... there are some excellent explanations here! Big Fat Fiasco pt. 1 - YouTube

jeff's primal image is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post

- plenty of skinny people drop dead from heart attacks due to clogged up arteries and high cholestorol.

Fatboy (Percy King)
    All MI's are from a coronary artery blockage, the size of a patient is not important. Some patients have MI's with low cholestorol and some have high cholestorol. Cholestorol is not a good predictor of coronary disease.

sapphire_chan is offline Senior Member
    The real explanation is that fat doesn't work that way.

The silly explanation is shown by an experiment. Splatter a bit of grease from cooking meat on your stove. Then spatter a bit of vegetable oil on the other side. Continue using your stove daily. A week later, see which one wipes more easily, or at all.

BZM
    BZM is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Please watch this series... there are some excellent explanations here! Big Fat Fiasco pt. 1 - YouTube
    Whoa.

Raine is offline Member
    You don't have to eat bacon and eggs etc, choose lean protein and just use added fat like organic virgin coconut oil, olive oil etc. Chronic inflammation causes heart disease. That's why people shouldn't even have dairy on paleo as it is inflammatory.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Actually the research is clear and becoming better known - arteriosclerosis is not caused by the amount of cholesterol in your system - that is mainly determined by your liver, anyhow. It is caused when chronic inflammation causes damage to the arterial walls, and cholesterol covers the damage in a repair attempt (that's its job, its job is not to kill you). Blaming cholesterol is like blaming the fireman for the fire. As to "fat" clogging the arteries - fat is digested! It is burned as fuel - that's how you are made. You don't have little bacon bits running around in your bloodstream unless your gut has been punctured by a knife wound or gunshot. Your guts and veins are not like drainpipes getting coated with bacon grease.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    This is according to my cardiologist doctor and my endocrinologist friend btw. I have had two ultrasound heart scans in the two years since going primal and the result is a diagnosis of "perfect heart function" - hope that helps.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

emmie is offline Senior Member
    It's not the fat--it's the combination of fat with grains and starches that causes the problem.

Dr. William Davis is a cardiologist, and he insists that it's grains that are dangerous for the heart.

Sample of one: Some years ago, I was having some gall bladder attack, but there were no stones so no surgery. Fat seemed to bring on the attacks, so my GI suggested that I just eat low fat--which I did for a while. In those days, I was eating minimal grains in the form of some bran crackers and the occasional low carb tortilla. When I cut out all grains, I discovered that I could eat any level of fat with no problem at all.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    "Skinny people who drop dead from heart attacks due to clogged up arteries and high cholestorol."

These tend to be people who eat too much sugar and don't get enough exercise.

Being skinny is not a sign of good health, especially when it's achieved by avoiding fat and starvation, which causes malnutrition. The moderately obese have double the probability of surviving a heart attack than those in the underweight or ideal weight ranges.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast