Thread: Getting enough calories while breastfeeding page

hannah2016 is offline Junior Member

Getting enough calories while breastfeeding

Primal Fuel
    Introduction: My hubby and I have been following the MDA blog for almost a year. Hubby lost around 30 lbs on the diet but, shortly after discovering the Primal lifestyle, I discovered I was pregnant with our second child and so my goal was gaining lbs rather than losing them. I gained only half of what I gained while pregnant with our first child but still claimed "I'm pregnant" to cheat a lot!

That being said, my goal for this year was to jump on the wagon with both feet! I would like to lose those pregnancy pounds as well as those extra "happily married" pounds but my main goal is to have enough energy to keep up with two kids under two years old and to try to prevent any of the depression that I am prone to and suffered with postpartum kid #1.

So, I started the 21 day Primal Challenge almost two weeks ago, suffered a couple nasty headaches, but they're gone now. My main problem is not getting enough calories! If it was just me, I'd probably be ok with the 1600-1800 I'm getting, but it's not good for the little one who I am exclusively breastfeeding. She's shown dairy sensitives so since I cut that out, I'm having a horrible time keeping up the fat content! I'm hitting 150 carbs everyday but only around 90-100g fat! And my milk supply is starting to suffer which doesn't help my little one's sensitive tummy.

And I'm hungry all the time!

Any suggestions for yummy, non-dairy, fat?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil, beef tallow, lard, - my favorite is homemade ghee. If you toast it til golden brown and then filter it really well it tastes great and is pretty much diary free.

Love coconut oil (hubby makes a mean chocolate shake!) but how do you use beef tallow and lard?

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Cook all your veggies in it. Eggs, too.

Avocados are your friends, too. Make jerky to snack on - it's high-calorie for the amount of space it takes up in your tum, and it's easy to eat while breastfeeding. Macadamia nuts are also good for a quick hit of fat.

BrassyDel is offline Member
    I eat a lot of avocado and coconut oil and coconut milk. Staying primal + no nightshades/dairy has been awesome for my milk supply, and I'm far less hungry. If I eat a sweet potato, I put coconut milk in it and mash it. Steamed veggies get olive oil or coconut oil. Sometimes I have nuts and some dark chocolate chips thrown in. If I cheat, or try a food that turns out to be an offender for me, my milk supply suffers.

Having enough milk is HUGE for me. I have had a lot of problems, but thankfully a lot of support as well. I also have food addiction issues, so not going crazy about food is also pretty rad. For me, I need at least 50% calories from fat, probably more like 60% most days!

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hannah2016 View Post
    Introduction: My hubby and I have been following the MDA blog for almost a year. Hubby lost around 30 lbs on the diet but, shortly after discovering the Primal lifestyle, I discovered I was pregnant with our second child and so my goal was gaining lbs rather than losing them. I gained only half of what I gained while pregnant with our first child but still claimed "I'm pregnant" to cheat a lot!

That being said, my goal for this year was to jump on the wagon with both feet! I would like to lose those pregnancy pounds as well as those extra "happily married" pounds but my main goal is to have enough energy to keep up with two kids under two years old and to try to prevent any of the depression that I am prone to and suffered with postpartum kid #1.

So, I started the 21 day Primal Challenge almost two weeks ago, suffered a couple nasty headaches, but they're gone now. My main problem is not getting enough calories! If it was just me, I'd probably be ok with the 1600-1800 I'm getting, but it's not good for the little one who I am exclusively breastfeeding. She's shown dairy sensitives so since I cut that out, I'm having a horrible time keeping up the fat content! I'm hitting 150 carbs everyday but only around 90-100g fat! And my milk supply is starting to suffer which doesn't help my little one's sensitive tummy.

And I'm hungry all the time!

Any suggestions for yummy, non-dairy, fat?
    My milk supply increased when I went primal in Nov 2010! Coconut oil, coconut oil, and more coconut oil! I cook in either co,ghee or bacon fat. I've been doing my own version of bullet proof coffee w/the primal coconut "crack" creamer. Very good! I even do something similar for green tea at lunch time. I'm still nursing a 22 mth old!
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Update: got some canned fish, 80 % lean ground beef, and mayo and that helped the fat intake! Not to mention the yummy coconut milk shakes hubby made us. I guess I was leaning too heavy on the chicken and pork. I'm feeling better and baby is too!

primal-dan is offline Member
    On big days I'll do a shake with half a can of coconut milk, a whole avocado, and 2x tablespoons of almond butter. That is heaven and has lots of fat.

Another easy way to get plenty of fat is buy 80/20 grass fed ground beef, season with whatever you like and grill up a bunch of patties. They make a great snack.