Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primal in Indiana, begging for help. (Literally) page 2

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Id love to visit those places too, and the US One day LOL

rabraham2 is offline Senior Member
    yes, one day. ugg, so much stuff to get taken care of, first. So, do you have any advice for getting through the first month or so? I find myself falling back on salads, steaks, and some form of grilled chicken. My budget is minimal and i don't have much time for cooking so I usually end up eating out.
    A rose by any other name.

StarryEyedSarahJ is offline Junior Member
    My favorite time and money saving thing in the kitchen is my crock pot. I use it at least 2-3 times per week. And the things I make with it usually are good for two or three dinners throughout the week. You can throw in a whole chicken, a whole pork loin, ribs, a chuck roast, soups or stews... add a few spices or a sauce and set it on low in the morning before you head out for work. Dinner will be ready when you get home! It's so easy and it allows you to buy the cheaper cuts of meat because slow cooking it makes it so tender and delicious.
    Wag more, bark less.

Uppy is offline Member
    +1 for the crock pot! It's like a magic hat for food.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rabraham2 View Post
    yes, one day. ugg, so much stuff to get taken care of, first. So, do you have any advice for getting through the first month or so? I find myself falling back on salads, steaks, and some form of grilled chicken. My budget is minimal and i don't have much time for cooking so I usually end up eating out.
    Dont beat yourself up if youre not being ultra mega paleo chef right away. For my first few months, pretty much all I had was grilled steaks and bunless burgers. No one in my family really cooks, so ive been slowly learning and gaining new confidence in the kitchen. Earlier this week I made a beer-braised corned beef, and today Im going to try slow-cooking some pork ribs in the oven and crockpot. I couldnt even IMAGINE doing these things this time last year.

My best advice is if you find something you like, really go nuts on it, cause youll get good at cooking it more efficiently and it makes shopping less intimidating. For those first months, my shopping basket pretty much only ever had steak, full-fat yogurt, brussel sprouts, and asparagus in it. I thought I would get sick of such things (cause I used to tire of foods really quickly on SAD diet), but to my surprise I didnt. Its like my body was like, "Yeah! This shits got nutrients in it! Eat more!!"

Other great relatively inexpensive food ideas are canned fish like tuna, salmon, and sardines, especially if theyre packed in olive oil. Good protein and fat and super filling, ive found. Sometimes ill mix in a touch of soy-sauce into a can of tuna.

Caveats: see if you can find BPA-free-can brands, theres more and more out there; do not eat farmed/"Atlantic" salmon; dont overdue it on tuna cause of risk of mercury levels.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

rabraham2 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I can't do canned fish. I can hardly eat real fish!
    A rose by any other name.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rabraham2 View Post
    Yeah, I can't do canned fish. I can hardly eat real fish!
    Honestly I used to say the same thing. Give it some time for your tastebuds to change and then give it a try, maybe youll be pleasantly surprised
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    Hey Becca,

I'm really glad to know you are still working on primal! You know I'm in Louisville, I am still happy to encourage you and share recipes, be a friend you can call when you are facing down a craving. I guess you changed your number?I'll note you with mine. I'm still doing the tapping, it is a lot cheaper and more effective than therapy, trust me. I'd be happy to help you tap on any cravings you have. Or not, your call! If you decide to be friends again, I pinkie-pie promise I won't talk about ponies, either

Peace out!

acrichardt is offline Junior Member
    hey, don't know if you still check this thread, but evansville, in is my location. I'm a former smoker over a year now cold turkey. I researched paleo on suggestion of a coworker and started eating as close to it as possible. I found MDA last week after I discovered the Latest In Paleo podcast (i listen during my 45 minute work commute). feel free to contact me. after moving in a primal direction I found the post nicotine cessation blahs have gone away and my depression and anxiety is practically non existant (aside from my family not really supporting my choice. the don't want me in their kitchens and encourage me to eat out and not use their space and comment about my strange weird eating habits. I'm thinking of writing a book for anyone in a similar situation to help all ninja chefs hone their cloak and culinary skills).

perennialpam is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It is amazing how people always feel the need to comment on these food choices when they don't on people eating loads of junk food.

I don't bring up my eating habits any longer and quietly go about my food choices at a buffet with people. People also have no idea about "grains" and/or HFCS.

Stay the course, you will not be disappointed and you will be able to keep this weight off too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12