Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Translation needed for Trader Joe's ground beef page

spincycle is offline Senior Member

Translation needed for Trader Joe's ground beef

Primal Fuel
    It says: Product of Australia, All Natural* (never fed antibiotics or hormones), Free Range (Never confined to a feed lot). What the heck?? Are they trying to say the cattle are grass fed? Why not just say so? The language seems squirrely to me, what are they trying to dance around? I bought some and it tastes very good.

Fury is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spincycle View Post
    It says: Product of Australia, All Natural* (never fed antibiotics or hormones), Free Range (Never confined to a feed lot). What the heck?? Are they trying to say the cattle are grass fed? Why not just say so? The language seems squirrely to me, what are they trying to dance around? I bought some and it tastes very good.
    I think it's safe to assume the cows are "free range", located in Australia and are not being fed antibiotics/hormones.

It doesn't mention what the cows actually eat, perhaps they have access to non-grass feed that's "all natural" (no artificial ingredients) in addition to what they eat while grazing?

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Most likely they're grain-finished. I found out that the lamb from Australia that I'm buying at Costco is actually grass-fed, but then grain-fed for the last month or so.

awm8604 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spincycle View Post
    "All Natural" doesn't really mean anything. I'd assume it's at minimum partially grain-fed and finished. If it was grass-fed it would be on the package.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Cattle here are mostly pastured, if you can call cattle stations bigger than US states pasture. However in times of drought food will be dropped to them. Also they are brought into feedlots on their way to slaughter. This happens more for export beef, as grain-finishing is demanded by the markets.

I've been told that most of the beef available to me is grass fed, but the drought caveat applies
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

lexie is offline Senior Member
    If it doesn't say grass-fed on the label, I assume that it isn't. "All natural" doesn't mean anything, either. It's not a standardized claim.

Patchthebun is offline Member
    Where are you reading this info- on the label or on a sign? I'd trust the label over the sign. Sometimes the crew and sign artists try and come up with new and creative ways to state the same old boring facts, so I can see why it would seem like they're trying to dance around the facts, when they're just trying to be creative. Honestly, that happens on some TJ's labels too. I would go find someone in a hawaiian shirt in the store (a manager), and ask them to find out. They'll be able to email the buyer and get a definitive answer.

Its my understanding that australian beef if mostly grass fed. We will occasionally buy a pound of that beef, and it tastes very similar to my local 100% grass fed beef. Its far and away better than conventional beef, regardless.

juneeci is offline Junior Member
    I don't believe "All natural",it is impossible,i think.

spincycle is offline Senior Member
    The info. was on the label, not on a sign. But I'll make sure to ask the store manager next time I'm there. Peril, your explanation makes sense, I'm guessing that's why they can't call it "grass fed".

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Why not just buy their grass-fed ground beef??? That's what I get, it's right next to the conventional ground beef. It says right on the label that it's 100% grass-fed and finished, and organic as well. $6.49 a pound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast