Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Beginnings - My Paelo Adventure page

Bamboozel is offline Senior Member

Cool New Beginnings - My Paelo Adventure

So here goes;

Im a 31 yr old gal who is living in Thailand at the moment. I herald from Australia but have lived over here for the past 2 years or so. I am about 163cm (5'4") and weigh ~66kg (unfort i have no scale and am currently travelling in Cambodia). I have never been really overweight, nor underweight, but do nudge the upper end of the healthy weight range. Do I like my body? Not really. I have large boobs, do not like my stomach area and can see flab gaining around my arms. In addition to this I have a gorgeous and wonderful boyfriend who is lean and tall (a foot taller than me!) - argh!

Why the change? A few reasons...as we all do.
    Firstly, as with many people, I am not happy with my appearance. Living in Thailand is hard because being a foreigner you are already bigger and fatter than the vast majority of the locals - and they love to tell u that you are fat or have been eating too much (yes, the really do tell you it to your face!). Also, I really dislike pictures of myself and my boyfriend. All I can see is "Fatty and Skinny" - me the short, dumpy one beside the tall and lean guy.
    Secondly, I am concerned about food and health. I am the primary cook in our house and really love food stuff. I love fresh produce (which is thankfully very cheap and very abundant here in Thailand!), i love lean meats, and i love reading about food stuff. I cook a variety of dishes and get a kick out of creating beautiful dishes for my friends and family. At one stage, I was cooking & photographing food for money! I have been reading and researching a lot of stuff about food and health of late and have been coming to the conclusion that we all need to live a better life with better food. Documentaries like Food Inc and Food Matters have really stuck in my head and I have been making a concerted effort to eat less processed food. Surely the increase in cancers, obesity, mental illness and other health problems has got to be related to what we are putting into our bodies.
    Thirdly, a very close friend has been struggling with his weight and has been trying to make an effort to shift it. He has even gone as far as to make monetary bets with people about the weight loss he can achieve. Personally I have thought he has been going about it the wrong way - pushing his body too hard, starving his body of amazing foods and of course, relying too heavily on processed carbs. So the Paelo challenge was begun to help him too - Myself, my boyfriend and our friend all have a Google Docs spreadsheet that we are recording our meals in and keeping one another in check. So far so good at day 9.

I am really positive about succeeding in this lifestyle. It fits into my personal values of eating food that is both delicious and nutritious. I want to look and feel great. I want to be happy of photos of myself and my boyfriend and even think about buying a bikini. I also can see that this isnt just a quick fix, that it is something that can easily be incorporated into a way of life.

My biggest challenges I think I have already overcome. Saying no to the serve of amazing garlic bread that was put in front of us last night was hard but my god I felt good. Buying fresh fruit instead of a bag of chips for a long bus ride felt great and so did I after it. I have been a sucker for cheese most of my life but I feel I can now say no to binging on it. Being in Thailand means that the breads that I love so dearly are not readily available - sourdough! ARGH! Once back home after this travel (in Cambodia) I look forward to getting stuck into some of the exercise stuff - weights, sprints. I am pretty unfit but live on the 9th story of an apartment building so look forward to running up and down those stairs! ha!

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome and goodluck with it all

Thanks Ayla

right now i am waiting for my boyfriend to wake up so I can go eat something tasty! gah!

I must say that i am really looking forward to getting home and having a kitchen to use. Although I don't have an oven or microwave so some recipes i have seen will be not possible. also, being at home will mean I can eat when I am hungry and not have to wait for the boyf to be awake :P

Yesterday went well I think and was day 10 of my Paelo

B: spinach and fetta quiche (didnt eat the crust) and mixed garden salad + shared a black coffee (no sugar) & a banana, pineapple and coconut blend drink - no dairy. I actually felt very ill and bloated after eating this. I am wondering if I may have accidentally eaten some of the crust of the quiche or it had soaked into some of the spinach stuff? Or perhaps it was the fetta that made me feel queasy??

L: Steamed blue swimmer crab (1.5 small ones) + stir fried pepper prawns (about 6 medium prawns) - we ended up having a second lot of crab about 2hrs later because we couldnt resist eating them while watching the gorgeous sunset over the Gulf of Thailand! The second serve was just boiled crab and I had 2 medium ones yumm! We also shared one beer which tasted terrible! First beer in 10 days and it tasted bad - really strong yeasty taste. Didn't enjoy.

D: Grilled pork chop with steamed vegies and salad + soda water with fresh lime.

S: Handful of pistachio nuts.

Day 11 - feeling good today, did some bike riding and walking too.

B: Omelet with grilled chicken & black iced coffee

L: BBQ'd pork ribs with salad

D: Pumpkin soup + freshly squeezed orange juice

S: Small banana

Day 12 - Did a fair bit of walking around Phnom Penh on this day.

B: Omelet with grilled chicken, black iced coffee no sugar

L: This was a fail meal - in the flavour and the actual meals - ICK Fish Amok (or supposed to be) & Mixed Salad- this "curry" came out as boiled fish and pineapple with onion. absolutely revolting. couldnt eat it. The "salad" was covered in a sickly sweet dressing. I ate about a tablespoon of rice to eat something because it was just awful. Also had a freshly squeezed apple juice, no added sugar.

D: Taco salad with no tortilla.

S: Fresh pineapple slices, small banana

Day 12 was a bit of a crap day. Travelling can be hard on Paelo, especially in Cambodia. A lot of the food is difficult to order or comes out different to how it is described on a menu. Trying to ask what is in the items can be met with major confusion too. But these are just baby setbacks and I will continue to make an effort. Must say I am looking forward to going home where I can have better control of food though.

Day 13 - walked up and down a lot of stairs today. new guesthouse that we are staying at is on the 5th floor, but you have to go up 10 flights of steep stairs to get to it! GAH. good exercise though

B: Bacon and small pork sausage + black iced coffee (no sugar)

L: Grilled chicken salad + dragonfruit shake (just ice + water, no sugar)

D: Shared a Tom Yum soup with prawns, grilled pork ribs + iced jasmine tea and a iced black coffee (had this at about 4pm)

D: Carrot, celery & cucumber rounds with some cheese! (had this at about 8pm) First decent amount cheese in 13 days and we had blue cheese + swiss cheese. Only had a small amount but feel ok. Little tired - but thats me normally at night anyway!

S: Rose apple, banana

Day 14 - Woo! 2 weeks!

So today heralded the 2 week mark and I am feeling good, even if my diet hasn't been 100% paleo yet. As I said before, its hard to be 100% when you don't have access to a kitchen and are travelling - but I am trying! I really am noticing the flavour of fruits and vegies a lot - the cherry tomatoes we had today were so so sweet and delicious! Just amazing! Even the carrot was juicy and sweet. The only other tiime I have experienced such a difference in flavour was when I gave up smoking years and years ago.

B: Omelet with tomato, onion & a sprinkle of mozarella cheese + black coffee on ice (no sugar)

L: Raw carrot, cucumber, celery & cherry tomatoes with a little blue cheese and swiss cheese

D: Grilled salmon and green beans + 1 pork rib. the salmon was served with fries and I avoided all but 1 - I had to try one and see. BLERGH! Tasteless and greasy!

S: rose apple and raw vegies.

What I think is really awesome is how much my boyf is on board with this change. He's reading loads, sending me links and talking to me about the food and how we are feeling. Its awesome. Can't wait to hit the 3 week mark! And also go home - only 3 more sleeps. YEY!!

anna-banana is offline Senior Member
    Hi Bamboozel,

Welcome, I've enjoyed reading your posts! I think you're doing great given the travel situation and foreign language menus, etc. I've been probably about 70% primal since mid December and have really been ramping it up (to lose weight a little faster) since about a week ago. I also taste more flavor in food now (and the small piece of bread I tried at a restaurant a few days ago tasted like paper - EWW no thanks!).

Definitely looking forward to fitting in my clothes again that I wore when I met my boyfriend 3 years ago. Being a couple that loves food and wine and happy hours made me gain 20 lbs (9 kilos)... boo! I have about 15 more pounds to lose until I'm back there. Seems doable and I'm excited to do it healthily instead of with a yo-yo effect diet! My boyfriend is super tall and so when he puts on 15 lbs you can't even tell. The good thing is that he's always been more of a low-carb person and so my new lifestyle doesn't really bother him. He happily plays the guinea pig for my chicken drumsticks wrapped in bacon (but then again which guy wouldn't?) and other meals. He also loves grilling meat, so I just throw a few zucchinis on the BBQ alongside the steaks and we have a full primal meal in a matter of 10 minutes.

Have a safe travel back, I'll check in with you again :-)

Anna
    25, 5'7" - SW 158 (12/10/11) - CW 153 (01/25/12) - GW 135
    "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Follow my Journey: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45509.html

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks Anna-Banana! my boyf sounds the same as you - an absolute meat freak! he was very happy to cast away the empty carbs and get stuck into the good gear. He even happily munches on the leftover bacon fat that i pull off. annd he LOVES organs, especially chicken hearts. In Thailand they sell them on skewers and bbq'd and he just is in heaven. Ha! maybe one day I will be able to stomach it, but for now I'm fine with other foods heheh.

Day 15:

B: Bacon! & some cherry tomatoes + black iced coffee.

L: Grilled chicken & small salad + blue cheese crumble (we have this cheese we have to eat before we check out tomorrow! eep!)

D: We had a cheat meal tonight - the boyf idea, not mine! anywho the place we went had 2-4-1 drinks (didnt know till we arrived and ordered) and I ordered a cider. WOW....soooo sweet...so sugary. TBH I didn't really enjoy it that much and really noticed how sweet it was. Thank god for ice and making it water the drink dow - yey! Anywho the meal I had was 3 sausages (pork) peas + mashed potato. I ate probably 1-2Tbsp of mashed potato that was in a ginormous pile + some of my boyfriends salad. The meal was ok but boy i felt soooo full afterwards - uncomfortably so. I don't know if it was the sugar, the potato or a combination. But thank goodness we had quite a walk home and stopped off at some markets. The crazy thing was that when I went to go to sleep at about 11pm i tossed and turned. urgghh! Normally I have no trouble getting to sleep or falling back to sleep and even less trouble of late but it was infuriating. Amazing what an impact that cider had on my sleep patterns...

S: orange, rose apple, cheese.

One thing I have only just realised is how different I am feeling. Normally I suffer from headaches, nausea, grumbly belly, aches....nothing too serious, but enough to whinge about it. And I hated how much i would whinge - one day its this, the next day its that....and I haven't been feeling like that at all in the last few weeks with the exception of a headache twice. One health problem that has always irritated me and made me avoid doing exercise is this weird cramping I would get in my thigh on my left leg. After exercise or if I sat with my legs crossed for too long or sometimes it would just happen, i would get this incredibly painful cramping in my left thigh at the outer side. It would be so bad sometimes that i would have trouble falling to sleep and no amount of tiger balm, massaging, walking it out, stretching it or anti-inflammatory would make it stop. I couldn't touch it in some cases and it would make it hard to walk. really awful. But it hasn't reared its head DESPITE walking lots (including up and down the 12 flights of stairs in this guesthouse!!) or bike riding. If this diet means that I dont have to suffer from that pain again, I will be SO SO SO happy!!!! /crossed fingers

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast